BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Bubonic
1,373 Posts
One is too old when one fails to recognize, observe, react, and be physical enough to handle the machine in all situations.

Avoid being a menace to yourself and others.

My two cents.

·
Registered
20 K1600B
442 Posts
If my mental attitude towards riding, or my physical ability to operate my bike safely, starts to decline to a point it becomes a risk to myself or others, I will stop. After 59 years of riding, It would be hard to imagine not being able to throw a leg over and take off ! But until that day, I will keep on looking towards the next adventure ! 😜

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,351 Posts
I am planning to take my last ride a short time after I am dead. I have arranged to have my corpse ride my bike and me into a big hole. They can throw dirt over me a call it a day.

·
Registered
2015 GTL 2012 Voyager
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of my (much younger) riding friends has promised me, "When you're too old or senile to ride, I'll velcro your ass into the saddle, lock the throttle wide open, and launch you and the bike off a cliff, Thelma and Louise style!"
I like to get on that list, no nursing home for me!!

·
KBiK
2,246 Posts
Like many choices in life, it is a personal decision.

Reactions: BMWGuy and AntonZ

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not sure I'll ever know when I'm too old to ride?!? I'm 72 and still can't seem to stop buying new bikes... (y)

·
Mr.Fix It
9,052 Posts
I'm 67 years and have no plans for slowing down! I've always led an active life which includes "me" time to work out. I know for some aging brings ailments beyond their control. But for most us 3-4 days a week in a weight room will delay Mother Times onset..

Duane

·
Truly Gritty
111 Posts
When my dad stopped riding I couldn't believe it. He was in his mid 60's when he told me that one day everything about motorcycling just scared the **** out of him and he knew he was done. He rode his dream bike; a 76 Goldwing from day one and never wanted another bike. I appreciated his honesty because I never thought anything ever frightened him and I hope I will be as smart when it's my turn. Simply put you'll know when it's time but until then keep the rubber side down brother and enjoy enjoy enjoy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I remember talking to a guy who was 84 and he was riding a Yamaha VMax, I guess he was still young enough. I have to tell a story. When my Mom was battling cancer she ended up taking the wrong walker to her week of treatments, and she asked if I'd go to her apartment and get the other walker for her. I decided to take my Honda VTX, & I strapped the folded up walker to the rear of the luggage bag. The looks I got at a gas station were just priceless. I just wish I would have asked someone to help me throw a leg over the seat, just to see what they would have said.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
When they pry my arthritic fingers off the grips. 🍻

·
Registered
2018 BMW k1600 B
59 Posts
Years ago I was doing a track day at Laguna. Some dude in black leathers on an R6 was out there doing pretty good. Not tearing it up, but definitely holding his own. We all came off, he pulled off his helmet, and he was at least 85 years young. Everyone around us just started applauding the old dude, and he had a huge smile on his face. We all looked at each other, and realized young at heart is good. I would love to be still doing track days at 85.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts