BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My forged wheels (front and rear) were shipped to me with a different style/type of sensor than what’s on the 2012’s-2017’s with the cast wheels. Thus far I’ve been unable to program or establish communication between the bike and the sensors. Using my GS-911 I’ve tried manually entering the serial numbers of both sensors without success and when I try to allow the bike to learn the sensors by themselves all I get is “learning in progress” message for up to five consecutive minutes at which point I quit.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance!

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
How far have you ridden bike? When I changed TPMS it took about 20 miles till bike started reading them.
Duane

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How far have you ridden bike? When I changed TPMS it took about 20 miles till bike started reading them.
Duane
Hey Duane, good to hear from you! I’ve ridden the bike on two separate and short trips. First trip was approximately ten miles about two weeks ago. Second trip was today of about forty miles round trip.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I've always used a wake up tool to read the sensor serial number and type it in. The number printed on the sensors that I stock is not the same as the serial number. Since you are already mounted up, have you tried putting the bike into learn mode and then dumping the air out of the tire. Should make it transmit that way I'd think.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always used a wake up tool to read the sensor serial number and type it in. The number printed on the sensors that I stock is not the same as the serial number. Since you are already mounted up, have you tried putting the bike into learn mode and then dumping the air out of the tire. Should make it transmit that way I'd think.
No I haven’t tried your method, but I will in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried your suggestion this morning and no joy. Off to BMW/Greensboro next week.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Are you sure your sensor is good? They transmit whenever they detect a loss of pressure.

This is why I put the sensor ID on everyone I sell. Makes it really easy.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure your sensor is good? They transmit whenever they detect a loss of pressure.

This is why I put the sensor ID on everyone I sell. Makes it really easy.
I’ll give an update next week. Pondering 🤔 til then.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
will the old sensors not interchange from the old to new wheels?

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
@BruceHarrisJr , unfortunately there comes a time when your best bet is to visit your local dealer. You may have reached that 'time'.

Duane

Reactions: BruceHarrisJr

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As of today, I have a service appointment on Friday July 31, 2020 with BMW/Greensboro. Will share my results ASAP.
Have you ever answered your own question? Well, I did today by taking my bike over to BMW/Greensboro, NC whereupon their shop tech "Taylor" proceeded to wave his handy dandy diagnostic tool at/by both front and rear TPMS and like magic the tire pressure indicators on my bike's dash started working as they used to when using the 'old style'/stock sensors on cast rims. Taylor also cleared multiple fault codes that he suspects are the result of having the original battery in my bike/2016 GTL. Even though it stays hooked up to an Optimate 4 plus battery charger at all times when not being ridden. Even with the fault codes the bike performed flawlessly and all components worked as they should. BTW; I was unable to program the new sensors to my bike's ECU using my GS-911 nor clear the multiple fault codes either. Hope this exercise may help someone else who, like me, changes from the stock cast aluminum wheels to the optional forged aluminum wheels which require a different sensor.

·
Steve's Brother
6,248 Posts
I was unable to program the new sensors to my bike's ECU using my GS-911 nor clear the multiple fault codes either.
The fact that you couldn't clear fault codes would lead me to believe your not connected properly to the bike with your GS911. I can clear fault codes with my iPhone connected via Bluetooth/WiFi or my laptop connected by wire. If you get connected by wire to a laptop I'll bet you could program the TPMS.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
+1 @Arizona Jim , odds are you couldn't program the "new" TPMS because your GS911wifi wasn't correctly connected to the bike.

Duane

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
BTW; I was unable to program the new sensors to my bike's ECU using my GS-911 nor clear the multiple fault codes either. Hope this exercise may help someone else who, like me, changes from the stock cast aluminum wheels to the optional forged aluminum wheels which require a different sensor.
when was the last time you checked for updates for the GS-911 ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts