BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject has been discussed in numerous previous posts. You can try driving a torx bit into the allen 5mm. If that strips here's my recommended solution.

Tools (see photo):
Right Angle Drill
Bearing grease
1/4" drill bit
#4 EZ out
5/16" x 1/4" drive deep well socket (holds the #4 EZ out
M10 x 1 tap
1/4" x 1/4" drive deep well socket (holds the M10 tap)
1/4" - 3/8" adapter
3" long 1/4" drive extension
3/8" ratchet
Hammer

1. Coat the 1/4" drill bit with copious amounts of grease. This is to catch as much of the metal shavings as possible
2. Using the 1/4" bit and right hand drill, drill through the stripped plug. Yes, no time to play around now, drill all the way through
3. Put the #4 EZ out into the 5/16" deep well socket, attach the 3" long 1/4" drive extension and adapter
4. Insert the #4 EZ out into the drilled out stripped plug. Use a hammer to drive the EZ out into plug, you aren't going to hurt anything, hit it.
5. Attach the 3/8" ratchet to the adapter and unscrew stripped plug
*** If step 5. doesn't remove the plug you'll have to drop the oil pan...
6. Try to insert/screw-in new RL Super Plug
7. If plug will not go in and you suspect threads are stripped put the M10 x 1 tap into the 1/4" deep well socket.
8. Coat the M10 x 1 tap with copious amounts of grease
9. Carefully tap the threads.

Duane

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Aye! That's a manly hammer. Not much room to swing one, so the old adage applies: "Don't use so much force, get a bigger hammer."

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just wondering... If you have engine guard and pannier guards, if you removed all the bags, a little carpet for contact points and lay her down gently on her side ( have some buddies help ) Just wondering if you would be able to get the pan off? Would make it easier to get that plug out?

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Donny , yes, I thought of that too. @Nomad , Herb and I discussed it. Decided against it because the only thing I'd gain would be a longer hammer swing; e.g. still be working in the blind. I haven't pulled an oil sump, yet. It was close and I didn't see a problem with access from under neath the bike.

The final technique I used to get the plug out will be my primary technique in the future. I'd about 90% sure the inner plug is going to come out when drilled and using a #4 EZ-out.

Duane

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Duane,

Thank you for a well documented post and a good illustration of patience. Years ago studying for my aircraft mechanics license a much wiser person than I at the time said, "Patience and the right tools will be your best bet to success." Your post is that in a nutshell.

Excellent idea to lather the bit with grease and as well another suggestion would be to rinse the bottom of the pan with kerosene and a long thin tube attachment to a non aerosol spot sprayer. Both prevention and a means to a cleanup afterwards.

Great advice on RL's plug to all newcomers and sage advise for the holdouts who haven't reached out to him yet.

note: During my research for this bike that was one of the first threads I read here that was so simple... brilliant. User R&D in the field, ingenuity at its best. I can't figure out why BMW hadn't acted on this simple concept by now and include it with a purchase, or better yet install it in during manufacturing. Low, I digress.....

Great helpful insight and info. Glad you are back up and running. Be safe

Andy

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,611 Posts
"There is nothing which the proper use of force cannot correct."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Duane,

Thank you for a well documented post and a good illustration of patience. Years ago studying for my aircraft mechanics license a much wiser person than I at the time said, "Patience and the right tools will be your best bet to success." Your post is that in a nutshell.

Excellent idea to lather the bit with grease and as well another suggestion would be to rinse the bottom of the pan with kerosene and a long thin tube attachment to a non aerosol spot sprayer. Both prevention and a means to a cleanup afterwards.

Great advice on RL's plug to all newcomers and sage advise for the holdouts who haven't reached out to him yet.

note: During my research for this bike that was one of the first threads I read here that was so simple... brilliant. User R&D in the field, ingenuity at its best. I can't figure out why BMW hadn't acted on this simple concept by now and include it with a purchase, or better yet install it in during manufacturing. Low, I digress.....

Great helpful insight and info. Glad you are back up and running. Be safe

Andy
Hello, av8or,

You mention "rinse the bottom of the pan with kerosene...": If I spray kerosone in there, how do I avoid that I just push any potential metal shaving further away from the drain hole? I guess I am just having difficulty understanding how I would actually do this. Do you have any images?

Thank you.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hello, av8or,

You mention "rinse the bottom of the pan with kerosene...": If I spray kerosone in there, how do I avoid that I just push any potential metal shaving further away from the drain hole? I guess I am just having difficulty understanding how I would actually do this. Do you have any images?

Thank you.
You can't avoid pushing "shavings" further away. I would not worry about that. Put a generous amount of heavy, bearing type grease on the end of the drill and be sure your drill speed is just enough to cut into the plug; NOT fast; e.g. slow rotation will lessen the bit flinging the grease/shavings.

Keep in mind, oil travels directly from the lower sump to the oil filter then on to the rest of the motor.

Duane

·
Registered
3 Posts
So Duane, That’s good news, then. So what I may do is: pull the plug the way you described it (maybe insert some sort of thin walled metal tube in there to prevent that plug from falling into the sump tray when I free it up), replace the inner and outer plugs, fill up with oil, run the engine with the old filter still installed, remove that old oil filter with the potential metal shavings in it and replace with a new one. Does that make sense?

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn’t worry about loosing the plug. And I wouldn’t worry about doing a 2nd oil change. But, it’s your choice. Up to you. If you think it’s warranted then do it.

Duane

1 - 14 of 14 Posts