BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted already here and there, but thought I might as well make an official introduction...

Sold my 99 R1100RT two weeks ago and today picked up a fully loaded and well maintained 2012 K1600GTL Premium w/43K miles from a friend of mine who is upgrading to a 2018. He was the second owner and had it since 5K miles.

What a difference!!! I was a bit worried about the weight, but since the center of gravity is much lower, I felt very comfortable from the get go. Just gotta get used to the drive-by-wire. Had some unintended acceleration a few times already. LOL!!!

I’m kind of old-school guy and loved the simple RT, but I’m sure I can get used to all the gadgets and gizmos the GTL has. More things to break, of course, but my friend never really had any issues with it and I’m pretty sure it’ll stay that way, too. If not, then I’ll tackle them as they come. I’m a DIY guy, so the bike will spend as little time as possible at the dealer, anyway.

Apologies for the dirty bike. It needs a good clean-up after his Daytona trip last week.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Congratulations and welcome from a fellow Texan!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Great looking ride! Welcome to the forum from west Houston!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Congrats and welcome!! Glad you’re here and are enjoying your transition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Cleaned the bike up today, so she’s ready to go. Kinda gloomy and drizzly day, so the first longer ride has to wait. Don’t want to mess her up now that she’s all purdy. LOL!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome! That acceleration thing is a well known "issue." :giggle:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Welcome from another member from West Houston. You have to enjoy the weather when you can. We don’t have many cool days here, wish we did.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle ... Beautiful bike you have there! I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over the fact it’s a ‘12. I also purchased a used 2012 GT two years ago and it has been very reliable. Like you, I’m a non-dealership guy if at all possible (plus, my nearest dealer is either 250 or 360 miles away). My only non-routine issue has been replacing a heated left hand grip (which turned into a drawn out procedure due to my own stupidity). You will enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everybody!

Welcome from Missouri. I am sure you will get used to all the gadgets. And then won't want to do without them. :)
Yeah, now that I have 4-500 miles on it, I'm not missing my RT anymore. LOL!!! Well... Maybe a little, but anyway. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts