BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2007 RT, and I'm thinking about getting something newer, and perhaps more powerful, like a GT.
Has anybody done this, and can they comment on passenger comfort? Is the room for a passenger about the same?

Specifically, my wife says the RT's passenger seat leans forward too much.

Thanks,

Dean

·
Registered
167 Posts
Before we bought a 2014 GTLE we test road many bikes 2 up. The best was a Harley for passenger comfort. An RT was ‘OK’ but not great. The stock GTLE made the passenger slide forward in the seat too much.

But the smooth power and armrests won over my wife and I. We upgraded to a Russell seat which fixed the slippage problem.

Maybe a gold wing would be better or a Road Glide.... but for now we love our GTLE.

Lots of bikes out there for sale and quite a few friends who will let you try their bike for half an hour or so. Go ride some!

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
I would think there is more room on the GT to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
EpcotPhil is right on about trying the bikes out. Harley baggers and the Goldwing can't be beat for passenger comfort. But IMHO none of those can beat the GT/GTL/E in performance and overall riding experience either 1 or 2 up. I just convinced the wife I needed to leave the HD stable for BMW and so far, so good. The newer RT's come close, but I still think the K16 is king.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
The new RT is very comfortable and provides more space to the passenger compared to the GT. The height difference between the rider and passenger seat is smaller which is an advantage for taller passenger as their exposure to buffeting is reduced. As always, get yourself on the two bikes with your SO and try them out. Talking about food does not give you the experience either, you have to try it.......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2007 RT, and I'm thinking about getting something newer, and perhaps more powerful, like a GT.
Has anybody done this, and can they comment on passenger comfort? Is the room for a passenger about the same?

Thanks,

Dean

Harley and Indian have it on comfort and are perfect for the long touring done in the USA. The passengers like it a lot better too. I can't get my wife on the backseat of my GT. Yes, the k16 is a fast, smooth, barnstormer, quickest way to get from Berlin to Tuscany on the Autobahn. But who rides like that in the US? No one I know or have ever seen.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had an RT for a day last year while my GTL was in for it's service, it was a nice bike and noticeable more agile and light compared to the GTL, but even though it was the new 1250 engine it was hard to compare it to the 6 cylinders of the k1600, and there is definitely more room on the K series than the RT as I had the wife on the back for 200 miles. I was thinking about getting something more manageable at low speeds but can't find anything as good as my current bike. I've tried the new Goldwing and RT which are the closest things I can think of, but they just don't do it for me, although passenger room on the Goldwing is excellent also.

In summation - and RT is a great bike if you can't get on with a K1600 GTL, but I'd definitely take one out for a bit - and do the low speed stuff also, go in and out of a few car parks and start stop traffic areas, that's about the only down side I can pick out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My wife and I test road an RT and GT back to back. She preferred the seat on the GT hands down.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks,

Dean
We own both bikes, and ultimately, only your wife can answer how it works for her, but one other difference is more room front to rear. Longer wheelbase on the GT.

The RT is hers, but occasionally we get to where she has to ride pillion, and she says the extra room front to rear is important to her, because her legs have to be spread wider on the RT since she’s closer to my back. This tires her out after 2-3 hours on the RT, but she‘s nodded off on the GT, and if you entertain her by riding fast on a twisty highway, she’s happy on the GT, too.

If you’re thin, or your wife has flexible hips, it might not matter much, especially if you aren’t going totally cross-country.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Another little YMMV thing is my wife’s dislike of the GTL, despite the case sitting a bit farther back, because she HATES the headrest on the GTL, as she’s only about 5’, and the higher pad hits her helmet and forces it downward.

·
Premium Member
6,766 Posts
Comfort is subjective and has to be weighted; e.g. what good is comfort if the bike doesn't match your performance requirements. If comfort for me and pillion was the #1 objective I'd probably ride a GoldWing; which ain't gonna happen. When I buy a motorcycle my #1 consideration is does it suit ME. Of course, my pillion's comfort if a consideration, but it's not at the top of the list.

Duane

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went from an '06 RT to a '16 GTL and my wife says there's NO comparison. Hands down, the GTL is by FAR more comfortable - wider, softer, more comfortable seat, much less forward sliding (but still some) and the addition of armrests make it total WIN. Happy wife = happy life!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Comfort is subjective and has to be weighted; e.g. what good is comfort if the bike doesn't match your performance requirements. If comfort for me and pillion was the #1 objective I'd probably ride a GoldWing; which ain't gonna happen. When I buy a motorcycle my #1 consideration is does it suit ME. Of course, my pillion's comfort if a consideration, but it's not at the top of the list.

Duane
I respect how you look at things, but for me, happy wife = happy life. 90% of my long distance riding means my wife is sitting in back of me, so by definition that is a #1 consideration. If I need to consider myself #1, that's where a second bike comes into play.

Back to the RT, it doesn't have the space of a K16. Period. I owned a 1200RT for several years, and test rode a 1250RT with my wife not too long ago. It's more cramped than a K16. Not a lot to debate. It's the reason I went from an RT to an LT, and now to a GTL.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an XR for a totally "me" bike. I'm going to wait until I finish my adventure of getting a new engine for my 2018 GTL. If BMW NA doesn't continue to piss me off, I'll consider following through. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2004 R1150RT for almost ten years, factory top box, my Wife felt it was comfortable. Traded for a low km 2016 GTLE, my wife loves it. We rode across Europe last summer for seven weeks, she found it to be great. We have the arm rests and a sergeant seat with a rider back rest, love the seat. My wife liked the stock seat better but I wanted a backrest, we added a folded yoga foam mat on top of the passenger seat section. My wife tried the passenger seat of a last generation Goldwing and a HD cruiser but found the GTLE to be the most roomy and comfortable. Two up the GTLE is a fantastic bike, carried all our luggage in the three cases and tank bag. The GTLE was even OK navigating the steep Italian hill top town roads. I would not hesitate to recommend the GT / GTL to anyone. We had previously rented a GT to tour Scotland so we were familiar with the bike, The GTL is a little more comfortable for two up in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts

Duane
This^^^^ is SO me. And if comfort was my #1 objective, I'd have a RDL on the bike at all times, but it does hinder me moving my body around in the curves. I'd also have put on the risers I bought by now, but every time I take a 3-hour ride up and down some mountains, I'm glad I have the slightly more forward riding position.
I respect how you look at things, but for me, happy wife = happy life. 90% of my long distance riding means my wife is sitting in back of me, so by definition that is a #1 consideration. If I need to consider myself #1, that's where a second bike comes into play.
This quote is not at all inconsistent with Duane's post above. For example, my wife 5% pillions behind me, and NEVER on a longer trip. She rides her own. And happy wife in my case = saying 'yes' to her purchasing a second bike in a period of less than a year after a new 2019 RT, when Triumph released the limited edition TFC Bobber. After that, even with the dominant, "don't mess with me" disposition of a Brigadier General, she knows better than to complain if she's a little uncomfy on a 3 hr. pillion ride.

And even there, my wife is with @Gunnert on the performance thing. When we started doing just a LITTLE more of her riding pillion for the sake of convenience only, she much preferred me riding with the attitude of "I'm gonna ride to have fun; you keep you on the bike," to my starting out with trying to coddle her a bit with riding conservatively in the curves, and super easy starts and stops. If I don't ride to have fun, she literally goes to sleep of boredom. Keeping your wife happy as a pillion may be the most YMMV thing in human history.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My mate's wife rides pillion with him pretty much all the time. He changed from a K16GTL to an XR1000 and was all chuffed, posting photos of it on facebook etc. etc.

He made a mistake, he did not include his wife in the decision making process.

His wife went on the XR1000 an everything went quiet for a while.

Next thing, he has a R1200RT. Did he get some ribbing or what............................................

·
Registered
486 Posts
@dobervol, all valid points. Spouse dynamics are different for each of us, so whatever compromises we make (or don't make) are going to be different for each of us. My wife is really cool and allows me 100% freedom for some other expensive and time consuming hobbies I'm into. No complaints. (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I rode a 2014 GT yesterday. Very nice! Engine is so smooth and the power is effortless. I thought it was a pretty stiff ride. I think the shocks were in Road, not comfort or Sport.
I've got a question about 2012 models I'm going to post in a separate thread.

Dean

1 - 20 of 30 Posts