BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it the future? I admit, I know very little about it except what I tried to learn via the ‘net when I was researching investing in fuel cell company stocks (Ballard, FCEL, PLUG) I didn’t pull the trigger, but part of me still thinks after X amount of years of people buying into lithium battery-operated vehicles, hydrogen fuel cells will prevail. Am I nuts?
Apparently Toyota is the only manufacturer that has almost “doubled-down” on hydrogen technology.
Re-fuelling in minutes sounds awful convenient, and water dripping from a tail tipe should appease environmentally-conscience folks. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
As I understand it, one of the major threats to our survival in the next decade or so is the hundreds of feet the seas will rise. Do we really want to add even more water to the system?

:grin:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Yea, when iceburgs melt, it makes the sea rise........I keep using this theory to make more water in my glass but it just doesn't work this way. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
As I understand it, one of the major threats to our survival in the next decade or so is the hundreds of feet the seas will rise. Do we really want to add even more water to the system?

:grin:
OK...you had me there for a moment. :wink:

·
Registered
845 Posts
The company Ive been with for 35 years has a fleet of transit buses. They have been focusing on going to battery electric buses, and just recently they are finding the cost to go to a hydrogen fuel cell is going to be cheaper. Dont know what this has to do with investing, just throwing it out there.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Is it the future? I admit, I know very little about it except what I tried to learn via the ‘net when I was researching investing in fuel cell company stocks (Ballard, FCEL, PLUG) I didn’t pull the trigger, but part of me still thinks after X amount of years of people buying into lithium battery-operated vehicles, hydrogen fuel cells will prevail. Am I nuts?
Apparently Toyota is the only manufacturer that has almost “doubled-down” on hydrogen technology.
Re-fuelling in minutes sounds awful convenient, and water dripping from a tail tipe should appease environmentally-conscience folks. Thoughts?
My two-word answer to the original question? I wish!

Fwiw, less than 2 cents, I agree with you completely, but it sure seems like the decision has already been taken, and battery-electric has been anointed the successor the fossil-fuels throne.

·
Registered
984 Posts
My ignorant perspective is that everyone commenting on this topic, will be deceased when fossil fuel is completely phased out; so, I feel an investment in the here-and-now would be a better investment; unless of course, you are looking for an investment your grand kids will inherit.

Post Script - I know nothing of course :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
As for too much water, people keep bottling it into non disposable Evian bottles. Why is it that the French turned the word NAIVE around to sell water

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Yes, but the world does not live in fear of North Korea developing it own gasoline bomb >:)
There may be a bigger danger:

What happens if I fart in space?
On Earth, farts are typically no big deal — smelly, harmless, and they quickly dissipate. But if you're an astronaut, every fart is a ticking time bomb. The gases in farts are flammable, which can quickly become a problem in a tiny pressurized capsule in the middle of space where your fart gases have no where to go.

Best.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
. And Apollo 13
I believe Apollo 13 lost an oxygen tank, so they flew home on the LEM.

IIRC, Apollo 1 and Space Shuttle Challenger lost crew during explosions. 1965 and 1986.

2003 Columbia took out the crew on re-entry, something about a part breaking up and knocking a hole in a fuel tank maybe.

Other mishaps on unmanned flights have occured.

Best I can remember.

·
Registered
854 Posts
There may be a bigger danger:

What happens if I fart in space?
On Earth, farts are typically no big deal — smelly, harmless, and they quickly dissipate. But if you're an astronaut, every fart is a ticking time bomb. The gases in farts are flammable, which can quickly become a problem in a tiny pressurized capsule in the middle of space where your fart gases have no where to go.

Best.
Activated charcoal filtration... So effective, I’m surprised someone hasn’t patented male underpants lined with it >:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
...Space Shuttle Challenger lost crew during explosions...2003 Columbia took out the crew on re-entry, something about a part breaking up and knocking a hole in a fuel tank maybe.

Other mishaps on unmanned flights have occurred.

Best I can remember.
I'm thinking the Challenger explosion was a result of cold temperatures on the launch pad having an adverse effect on some O-rings meant to keep the different combustibles from leaking. Unfortunately, an external leak did occur and that ignited and resulted in tragedy.

The Columbia had one or more of those insulating tiles damaged, due to something off the rockets/booster falling off during the launch and hitting the tiles, and so that part of it was unprotected during re-entry and the extreme heat took it out- that's my memory.

I was walking through a common area at college where they had a television showing the launch of the Challenger when it exploded.

I was in bed the Sat./Sun. morning when the Columbia exploded over Hemphill, TX, and I actually heard it, even though I didn't know what it was.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Activated charcoal filtration... So effective, I’m surprised someone hasn’t patented male underpants lined with it >:)>:)>:)
and tampons.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
They are out there. Simple Google search will yield 100s of results.

:roeyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts