BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I just now ordered a Helite Turtle air vest in size L-l black in color. Mr. Zilla says I should have in a week or so. This will be my second motorcycle accessory that I hope I never have to use for it’s intended purpose. The first being my emergency medical dog tag that I wear around my neck at all times.

At sixty-six years of age and having survived two previous motorcycle accidents I’m trying to increase my odds a bit.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Because I just now ordered a Helite Turtle air vest in size L-l black in color. Mr. Zilla says I should have in a week or so. This will be my second motorcycle accessory that I hope I never have to use for it’s intended purpose. The first being my emergency medical dog tag that I wear around my neck at all times.

At sixty-six years of age and having survived two previous motorcycle accidents I’m trying to increase my odds a bit.
I've been wearing the Hit air brand one for a couple of years now. Makes me feel very safe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Marc,
What the impact on body temperature?
Not as much as you would expect since it covers areas that are mostly already protected by the bikes wind management.

However it does cover jacket rear vents and some cheat vents so air may not flow as well.

There is a mesh version of the vest I may purchase for summer but honestly it's not been a major issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AlpineStars has what you’re looking for with their AirTech liner in a street or race version and several jackets to mate up with the liner. Expensive, but less so than getting hurt.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr. Zilla keep his word as did FedEx as my Helite vest arrived today. Will be using it tomorrow riding down to Leeds, Alabama to view and participate in the MotoAmerica races. Visual impressions on the vest are favorable. And for me, Fred Flintstone simple to use.

Let’s Ride...

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Mr. Zilla keep his word as did FedEx as my Helite vest arrived today. Will be using it tomorrow riding down to Leeds, Alabama to view and participate in the MotoAmerica races. Visual impressions on the vest are favorable. And for me, Fred Flintstone simple to use.

Let’s Ride...
Interested in your first couple of weeks' impressions. While the Tech Air appears more comprehensive (no tether to bike) it's significantly more expensive and has to be hotter than using the Helite. Tethering becomes second nature so while not as convenient as the Tech Air, the versatility far outweighs the inconvenience.

Also of note is the Helite can be self serviced like a life jacket. Not so the Tech Air.

I can see using the Helite vest even on 90degF days. The Tech Air would be miserable.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello everyone! Matt (my next door neighbor) and I returned late last night from Leeds, Alabama home of Barber Motorsports park and museum. This place should be a mandatory stop along the way of life for every motorcyclist/enthusiast. Words cannot describe what awaits you upon arrival. The racing wasn't bad either. As stated earlier I used my new Helite for the first time last Thursday to ride some 500 miles to Leeds, Alabama from my home in Burlington, NC. Air temps at departure was 78F at 0800 and rose to 94 when stopping in Atlanta, Ga. for lunch at The Varsity; another mandatory stop and long time local Atlanta eatery. I wore my Helite over my Joe Rocket Phoenix textile mesh jacket with an UnderArmour wicking tee shirt underneath. For me, anything over 90 degrees on a bike is hot but manageable. What I found out is that, yes some air flow is blocked in the front chest area but no perspiration resulted and the air flow over my arms compensated for the blockage. I also have the AeroFlow wings and miniwings on my bike making for a pretty good still pocket of air, particularly in hot temps.

A few other observations: construction and use of materials seems to be 'above average' i.e. I cannot see any poor sewing etc., when removing my jacket/vest after getting off of my bike I just left the vest 'on' the jacket and draped the two garmets over my bike's passenger seat. I attached the teather cord around the bike by removing the seat and attaching the teather just underneath the area where the two black/round front seat mounts are loacated; works just fine and is a very secure mounting point. Yes, I did forget on more than one occasion to hook/unhook the teather when mounting/demounting my bike. Sort of like learning to water ski-just keep practicing!

Finally, one Mr. and Mrs. Dan and Paula Usack aka Dusak from Horsehead, New York rode down for the races and we had an opportunity to meet and greet one another. Dan told me he has had some significant back problems in recent years and was interested in a Helite vest for himself in an effort to minimize any further damage to his back should an accident occur. Let's hope not. Anyway, all in all I'm quite please with my purchase and a big "Salute" to Revzilla and FedEx for their wonderful service!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've got both the Helite Free Air (mesh) and the Adventure jackets. I rode two days in 94 and 96 degree temperatures to Fort Collins in the mesh jacket. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it vented...not perfect, but not as bad as I was anticipating since the bag covers a good bit of the area. With its liner 40 degree + days were no problem. Rain was no problem with the liner also. I pulled out the Adventure jacket when temps were in the 50's with a strong and chilly side wind. That jacket is nothing short of superb. Only issue is they're made for thin Europeans and there's not much extra room at waist level for my build (better lay off the beer, I guess!). Very good product, in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts