BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I commute on the GT my wife has been riding more and more when we go to SF from the South Bay. It’s about an hour of splitting lanes on bad days. So she has been asking for armrests to feel more comfortable. Given that we are doing (hopefully) a two week ride this summer, I decided to install the armrests.

I only had to order two things. The armrest knock offs from amazon. Thank you Topteng for shipping them to me for right around $430. They were in stock and shipped right away. Quality is there. No one will be able to tell it’s a knockoff unless you have the real thing. And maybe even then...

I also had to order the install kit from BMW. It includes hardware and templates. $30. I only needed the templates and two bolts. I reused everything else.

It took me 5 hours taking my time. That’s and $460.

I did not need to buy the GTL rack grid to move the top case back one inch. Wife is happy where it is and the arm rests do not interfere with the case opening.

So those that own a GT you only need the armrests and a hardware kit. That’s it.

Super solid. Great quality. I may paint them flat black to match some of the colors. Or may not. Not sure yet.

Pics on next post.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Looks good, looks very good. Have you got the part number of the hardware kit you needed please. Might make this a little isolation project.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I'm assuming the arm rests stay in place when you remove the top case. Can you post a photo of the bike with top case removed?

Duane

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
It would be good to see a couple of pics with the top case open as well....... Please.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good, looks very good. Have you got the part number of the hardware kit you needed please. Might make this a little isolation project.

77258529212 per the San Jose BMW invoice.

I’ll try to get pictures of top case open up next. Top case off probably won’t happen until next time I need to remove rear seat for light install / access to hexcan.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Did you find that the bottom of the top box interfered a little with the armrest bracket? When i installed armrests on my 2015 GTL it took some effort to latch the topbox in as it was resting on the armrest bracket. Curious if you had the same.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Also here are some quick notes while they are fresh.

I needed three different tool sizes. The one under the seat takes off all standard bolts. I needed one slightly smaller and one slightly bigger. $2 multi tool that I always carry had all three. The green one from harbor freight / Home Depot (vs the red or grey which are metric and sae hex tools).

1) remove seat, side cases and top case

2) remove license plate / rear fender. There are four fasteners (small pointy bolts). Two are easily viewed and two are in the rear corners as you look from underneath. Once the four are off simply slide the entire piece forward and remove.

3) remove (using the smaller tool) the left and right black trim piece behind your tail light. Once the mini bolt (black) is loosened the piece slides out sideways.

4) remove grab handle and tail grid / rack. Two long pointy bolts on handle and one long non pointy bolt on the underside of the rack / grid. Plus the two bolts at the front of the grid.

5) remove three standard bolts from painted side rear trim. One is near the front by the driver seat. The other two underneath near exhaust hanger and towards rear of piece. Also remove the black trim that goes around the side case mount that has the contact for the lock. It just pops off. Be careful not to brake any of the clips. Repeat on other side. Note that you do not need to remove the front black trim piece by the front of your seat which is the only thing holding the painted trim pieces to the bike. Simply swing them out a bit to access the bikes you need on the best step.

6) remove three bolts in trim piece that is located just under near the rack / grid. And remove this trim piece.

7) remove four pointy bolts from black trim piece. This is the one you will cut. Two bolts near front and now accesible due to step 5. A bolt that is accesible because of what you removed in step 6. And the rearmost bolt from underneath which is accesible due to step 3 where you removed the tail light trim. You can now remove the black trim piece which you will need to cut. Repeat for other side.

8) now at this point I put the armrests on to do a test fit. I had to put the grid and grab handles on (one piece). So the armrests were only held in place by the two bolts at the front of the grid. Just those two were strong enough for the test. I put the top case on. It went on easy. No clearance issues. I had the wife come down and hop on the bike. She liked it. I made her aware that I could. Get a grid that pushes the top case back one inch. She said no she was fine so I moved on. If you do decide you want the extra room and push the top case back. All you need is part 46547727365. Found on eBay if you want to pay less than the $260 your dealer will quote you. I talked a seller down to $155 but my wife was happy with GT rack so no need to get it. Especially after zero clearance issues. Please note that I have the GTL top case pad. If I use the GT pad there would be even more clearance. But again zero clearance issues with the larger pad and shorter GT rack / grid. Remove top case and rack and grab handles.

9) carefully tape templates to trim pieces and cut. This took the longest. Mostly due to not experienced using a dremel tool and just taking my time. After cutting I used small files to improve the finish.

10) install the armrests using the two largest bolts and clips that came with the bmw hardware kit. They go on the rear. The front will come later on.

11) install the black trim piece you cut. Four bolts. Repeat on other side.

12) take the triangle top rear black trim piece you took off in step 6. The one with three standard size pointy bolts. Align the rear bolt to see where the front bolts will now attach to the armrests. Take the two smaller clips from the hardware kit and attach them to the armrests so that you will be able to bolt on this triangular trim piece. For me the rear and right side lined up perfectly. The left side not so much. After some elbow grease I decided not to use the left bolt. This trim piece is held in place by grid and top box so it isn’t going anywhere. With two out of three bolts the piece is aligned. I could have also trimmed this piece allow for the armrests to go through. Not sure if this is part of the bmw instructions but it was cold and I was tired so I decided against cutting this top triangular piece on the sides as it barely touches the armrest bars.

13) Reattach side painted trim pieces. Three standard bolts on each side. Don’t forget the black clipped on trim piece where the side case latches on in the front.

14) bolt down the grab rail and grid. I started with the two rear bolts. The left one was a pain to align. Other than cutting this took me the longest. After bolting down the rear grid from the underside with the two non pointy long bolts,!bolt down the two front grid bolts and then the two grab handles using the four long o pointy bolts left.

15) at this point your bike should be back together except for the top case. Route the wiring (I forgot this the first time and this had to take off the top case and remount) how you want it. I have mine going between the grab rail and the armrest arms. Attach the top case. Be careful since now you have something in front that could scratch your top case. I didn’t do this but can see it happening to someone. I closed the top case to attach it then once mounted I opened it to lock it on. Locking it on took some effort. Not as easy as it used to be. That last final centimeter went and finally clicked. As mentioned. I did this twice due to not routing the wire the first time. Grid and hand rails are on there solid. Armrests are on there solid. Top case is on there solid. Wife is happy. I’m happy.

16) put tail light trim back on. Slide on from side. Pay attention to bottom alignment as it interlocks with the tail light.

17) put license plate rear trim piece back on. Slide it from front to back. Make sure it aligns on both sides. Then tighten four standard bolts in.

18) make sure top case is getting power, reattach seat and side cases and check side cases power locks work.

Hope that helps those out there thinking about this mod. Other than cutting it’s a bolt on exercise. Just take your time. If I had to do it again. I could probably do it in 1 hour plus cutting time.

Tip: put bolt back on after taking a piece off. This will help you keep track of which bolts go where. It worked for me anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Well done. Looks great!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you find that the bottom of the top box interfered a little with the armrest bracket? When i installed armrests on my 2015 GTL it took some effort to latch the topbox in as it was resting on the armrest bracket. Curious if you had the same.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Yes more effort was required. I believe it is due to the rear triangular piece that goes under the rack / grid. When I did the test fitting I did it without that piece and I had no issues. Once I did final fitting it was tough to lock and that was really the only difference between the test and final. So that could be trimmed a bit to lower it maybe 5mm or even less and then it would be a perfect fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Last question....... I promise.

If you remove the 2 bolts shown in the picture can you remove the armrest and leave the mounting frame on the bike?

20200322_213744.jpg

Cheers,

Kev

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not tried as they’ve not been on for 25 hours yet. The bolt above I believe would take arm off but the side cover and section would remain on. There is a guy on here who does a mod for about $300 plus shipping each way where he cuts arms and welds on a quick release. Real clean stock look. But I’m going to try and live with the arms for a while before I send them off for that mod.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cheers for the info ROBSMST, much appreciated.
Kas_UK,

If you take a look at this part explosion diagram you can see the various components. Without modifications to the frame, the most you can take off is the padded
part where the passenger rests his/her arm, not the upright part that bolts to the armrest. Part #11 is just for decorative purposes.

Rich

1 - 20 of 20 Posts