BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Techmeister
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been purposely trying to bike my Grand into a donut low enough to feel the pins under each floorboard scrape. I say trying because no matter how low I go, up to handlebar lock, I can put her down enough. I can do donuts well within two parking spaces - at full lock on either side - with my arse perched up on the high-side seat to counterbalance continuously; but even that has not brought me down enough. I can likewise do figure 8s within two spaces each side and that hasn't been enough.

Since the floorboards are unique to the Grand and B I have to ask; has anyone else been down on her? To the point of scraping bottom? I want to, very much but she won't let me.

·
Preema
887 Posts
I struggle not to scrape at slow speeds on some of the small roundabouts here... Left side and right.
I don’t sit high on a tight turn rather I slip a little to the low side, toe feeling for the ground.
These pics are after about 6 months with my bike.

Attachments

·
Preema
887 Posts
Hard to tell as I can only have my feet on one or the other, but I have scraped the footpegs too. If I had to guess I'd say both hit at about the same lean. I have more aggressive wear on the pegs as this is where my feet are when I hit the twisties, with comensurate wear on my boot toes and (sadly) a few badly damaged stiletto heels...
Next time I test the rear crash bars I'll have a look at which is lowest, peg or board.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I have scraped both the floorboards and the rider pegs regularly. Usually the floorboards scrape first, not sure why sometimes the pegs do but always happens to me riding aggressively. Honestly its rare for me to not scrape almost every ride, I dont like it but have gotten kinda used to it. I do try not to

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yep, snapped one of them and replaced it. Scrapes on both floorboards and pegs.

Reactions: Billy S

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you're interested in the scraping order, here it is: floorboard peg feelers, foot pegs, and engine guards. It's best to avoid that last one!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Timely post. I just took the ProRider parking lot class yesterday and was no where near scraping in the 24' (2 parking spaces) circle & box.

More likely to scrape while riding due to the suspension loading and road conditions. I keep my bike in ROAD mode which probably helps a bit.

The rear muffler will scrape at some point too - probably about the same time the engine guard hits.

BTW, my B did OK in the parking lot class but she is clearly no RT and I also agree with some others who posted elsewhere that the friction zone seems to change.

Also, 95+ degrees and many hours sitting on the parking lot and she didn't overheat. At 7 bars the fan would come on cycle off - over and over.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The rear muffler will scrape at some point too - probably about the same time the engine guard hits.
On my KB, the rear muffler will make contact slightly after the engine guard. Most will never discover this since to ground down hard on the engine guard probably means you just crashed :surprise:.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
The best way to test your ground clearance isn't small circles but big ones. Do you have a nice smooth clover leaf intersection near you? How about a big traffic circle with no traffic? A big flat smooth parking lot? Start out doing slow big circles (50 - 80' diameter). What will help with your orientation is to have some cones set up in a circle - maybe 5 or 6 of them. The cones will help because you can easily get disoriented in a wide open parking lot and you want to always be looking way out in front of you at the next cone and beyond. Get comfortable going around in circles one way and then the other and gradually pick up speed until you're starting to touch something. When you hear it scrape, don't react. Just keep the turn smoothly going and feel how you can pick up your speed to grind it harder or very slightly slightly back off to stop the scraping.

This is the same way to learn to get a knee down if that's something you are focused on.

And, it should go without saying that grounding any hard parts in a turn means you aren't riding with proper margin on the street. What if you're heeled over with sparks flying and have to tighten up your line because some idiot crossed the center line at you? There's just never any reason to grind hard parts on the road and I think about ground off feelers the same way I think about tires with no chicken strips - not enough margin for a street ride and it's just a matter of time before it puts you in the hurt locker.

Consider this couple of videos from my ride last weekend on 311 in Virginia. I have the MotoProCam front and rear video on my 1290R which I was riding this day with a friend following on his K1200RS. As I had tipped in to the turn and set my line, this nitwit came at me out of control with his feet off the pegs over into my lane and split me and the guy behind me. Yep, you read that right. He barely missed me on my left and then passed the guy behind me on there other side our lane on his right:

Here it is at normal speed from the front and back:

It can happen just that fast.

You can hear me back out of the throttle and stand the bike up a bit as I see he's not going to stay on his side of the road. Can you imagine being my friend and seeing this idiot coming straight at him and then passing him on the right?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Wow, your friend on the K12 was very lucky it wasn't a head on collision. The idiot's license plate is clearly visible. I'd turn that video over to law enforcement.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Must try harder ! I find the same as Donna especially on roundabouts when switching the lean angle !

·
Q
5,246 Posts

Consider this couple of videos from my ride last weekend on 311 in Virginia. I have the MotoProCam front and rear video on my 1290R which I was riding this day with a friend following on his K1200RS. As I had tipped in to the turn and set my line, this nitwit came at me out of control with his feet off the pegs over into my lane and split me and the guy behind me. Yep, you read that right. He barely missed me on my left and then passed the guy behind me on there other side our lane on his
Wow....:surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Techmeister
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, for me, it is a sensory accomplishment and a mastery I overcome on every bike I own; it is to know the extreme limits of your bike. I take the suggestion I am trying leans too tight and at slow sleep. I will find a large parking lot for larger loops at a little more speed. Perhaps head over to VT tomorrow; amazing roads (just stay off of the little roads as many turn to dirt).

·
Preema
887 Posts
So, for me, it is a sensory accomplishment and a mastery I overcome on every bike I own; it is to know the extreme limits of your bike. I take the suggestion I am trying leans too tight and at slow sleep. I will find a large parking lot for larger loops at a little more speed. Perhaps head over to VT tomorrow; amazing roads (just stay off of the little roads as many turn to dirt).
You may want to try to lean more than the bike, hang on the low side. Sitting high and more pushing the bike into the lean does make you feel a little safer, but, as long as that big gyroscope of a back wheel is turning, you will always right the bike. In tight car park turns the push technique is what I prefer, and is the one the that you'll notice the police use in those tight turning through the cone contests. The trick is to push from the opposite elbow from what your used to, i.e. the outside elbow. At the slightly faster speeds on the road I will lean in on low side. Try to lean in on a slow wide circle then slowly reduce the diameter. You should be able to tip until the front guard just kisses the tarmac. (A very similar position to the high speed lean, inside elbow providing the push pressure on the handlebars, just don't drop the knee :grin: )

I need to watch over confidence, I have fitted those rear crash bars for that rare slow manoeuvring embarrasment and have used them once already! A guy I ride with who has a '18 K1600GT has put his down several times now and has given up trying to tidy up the scrapes on the fairing and pannier. (Sorry if you're on here to Velko >:))

Once I get my cameras' fitted, I might even post a vid or two...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Scrapes all the time, suspension set to road and 1 bag, never really noticed, till I washed the bike, they don't make sounds like regular pegs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts