BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as you read on the title thread, today I was contacted by one of the lead Engineers for the NHTSA. We had an hour long conversation about the 18+ K1600 Models. He informed me that there is an official open government investigation on BMW and ask me about my thoughts on the bike and my issues.

Backstory: When I first purchased this bike I had many complaints on the "LEFT PULL" and the wind oscillation behind vehicles. There was a 50/50 split on this forum stating they have no issue and others stating that they experience the same issues. A lot of you purchased new tires to just make the left pull go away but only work temporary.

Never all my years of riding have I felt a bike do these things. So thus, I filed a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). This was back in October 2019.

Today I received a call and we talked about several issues about my bike in particular. Mainly 2 was only of importance.

1. Left pull/steering oscillation
2. Limp mode activated on highway speeds

These have occurred with my bike. I let them know that I love this bike to death but with this awful recall and how its being handled there are a lot of you guys unhappy.
The handle a possible offer of the Government taking my bike and paying per diem. For testing. If the bike is unsafe to come back to my hands the government will pay full price back to me.

Now the purpose of this post. The lead engineer has told me there are about 980 K1600 registered in America about 30% are affected by similar complaints. He looking to interview people with these model bikes to contact him.

Contact information is below.

The purpose of all this is to gather as much evidence.

Bill Collins ([email protected])

Department of Transportation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Vehicle Research and Test Center

10820 SR 347 East Liberty, Ohio 43319

Office: 937-666-3271 Cell: 937-243-2264

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There investigation report

Attachments

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Except this problem isnt limited to the 18 or newer bikes. This left pull has been an issue since 2012.
Yep. There are threads, on this forum, that go all the way back to the beginning.

Reactions: Darbinco

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I can only talk about my experiences. Feel free to contact them about yours. If it goes further back its a strong enough case. But people have to call in otherwise nobody will know. Only us members. This is I believe a window or door to people with power that can make a change.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you guys also have videos of your motorcycle captured on flim with the problems above. They will take it as evidence.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Throttle loss with check engine light continues.Dealer did computer patch programs from mother ship.But problem continues.Told him about forums mentioning cleaning CPU connections.He stated "can't do what some guy said on the internet,must do what BMW suggests ." Basically he flat ass blew me off.I filed a complaint with vehicle safety.for US.I have less than 1,500 miles on it.No news on trans fix yet.Over $20,000 bought new in Florida 2018 model.WTF ?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Throttle loss with check engine light continues.Dealer did computer patch programs from mother ship.But problem continues.Told him about forums mentioning cleaning CPU connections.He stated "can't do what some guy said on the internet,must do what BMW suggests ." Basically he flat ass blew me off.I filed a complaint with vehicle safety.for US.I have less than 1,500 miles on it.No news on trans fix yet.Over $20,000 bought new in Florida 2018 model.WTF ?
Since my bike got pulled apart and put back together again for a new motor I get throttle loss usually when I'm in 5th gear. I have noticed when it happens my gear indicator goes blank. The fix for the moment is pull the clutch in and shift either up or down and all is well and doesn't happen for the rest of the riding cycle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I received a formal questionnaire from the NHTSA yesterday. Stated that this was part of a Federal Government Investigation seeking information about a possible safety defect on BMW K-1600 motorcycles. My bikes transmission recall work should complete tomorrow. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet since it's new to me and I just bought it this past winter. I do experience the left pull badly but it's a minor inconvenience really. Guess I'll take her out a good bit of the day tomorrow and pay closer attention to some of the throttle responses in different gears as others have mentioned before completely filling out the questionnaire.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
By the time this is over, our bikes won’t be worth a plug nickel. No one is going to fix the left drift- it’s really not a pull- and, it’s really a non issue for those of us whose riding style and preference for roads that curve generally require us to have at least one hand on the bars. ( that’s all it takes to correct the left drift- one hand lightly resting on one or the other grip). Whining about it to the government and on social media will not change anything but lower the desire for the otherwise k1600 prospective buyer to own one.
I’m wondering how many who have had limp mode have also had Bren tuning.

·
Registered
536 Posts
By the time this is over, our bikes won’t be worth a plug nickel...Whining about it to the government and on social media will not change anything but lower the desire for the otherwise k1600 prospective buyer to own one...
Selling soon?

I can ride down a curvy parkway on my k16 with no hands🤲, so I obviously don't have a left pull problem. Nor has my bike ever gone into limp mode. But since some are having this problem, and I assume some worse than others, what better place to discuss and be informed than THE K1600 forum.

I didn't perceive any whining. For some real whining, check out my overheating rants. 👍 While maybe not god-given, it is a forum administrator-given right that you'll take away from me when you pry my keyboard from my cold dead hand! USA! USA! USA! Or they block me.:(🤐

I agree that nothing will probably come from it, but who knows. I am interested to hear what the NHTSB's professional drivers have to say after riding problem bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Something good rarely comes from government involvement. You say that it would be interesting to hear what the government has to say. It’s just a guess , but I am guessing that your level of interest might spike if what the government says is that all K16s, including yours are dangerous to ride. You don’t have the problem, but you have the bike that I could branded as unsafe. I agree that limp mode while riding down a highway is a real issue. Everything else is a quirk easily and safely accommodated. Some have now “made a federal case out of it”, as the meme goes. I don’t trust the government to separate real problems from quirks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have to say I do have a pull to the left. I have about 5 bikes. And all of the would drive straight when I left go of the bars except my k. To keep it straight I have to pop my right cheek of the seat.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
The new GT must have a ghost rider on the pillion because sometimes it drifts to the left and sometimes it goes straight, but I can guarantee it never drifts to the right. Am I annoyed that it does it. YES because it shouldn't. Does it affect how the bike performs, NO not at all.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I have to say I do have a pull to the left. I have about 5 bikes. And all of the would drive straight when I left go of the bars except my k. To keep it straight I have to pop my right cheek of the seat.
I keep my tools in a roll in the right side pannier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The recalls on cars don’t seem to cause a great loss of value. I’m fortunate that my ’15 GTL has not yet had these problems. If there is a problem with component, let’s hope BMW would fix it on all affected motorcycles with a bit of regulatory urging. I think this would make them more valuable to keep or sell disclosing issues. it might cause the manufacture to better quality control at home and with suppliers. Thank You wizard, I think it’s good for all of us.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts