BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
The resale value of the K1600s is already undet water. Drift to the left has been a known characteristic of many of these bikes since day one of production over 12 years ago. No dealer has been able even to diagnose what causes the drift. BMW Itself hasn’t either. It won’t be fixed no matter how many complaints are made. No one has been injured or killed because of it. No one in government is going to give a hoot about a problem that only exists when the rider tries to ride hands free.
In the meantime, the bad press from all of the complaining about it on this forum, elsewhere and to the government will certainly scare off buyers if not force the NHTSA to issue warnings or other more drastic directions in order to appease the complainers.Resale will take a bigger hit. Any one of you whiners out there want to bet that whatever the NHTSA does, if anything, about the drift to the left on k1600s, it won’t result in the drift being fixed. Name your wager!

·
Registered
923 Posts
The new GT must have a ghost rider on the pillion because sometimes it drifts to the left and sometimes it goes straight, but I can guarantee it never drifts to the right. Am I annoyed that it does it. YES because it shouldn't. Does it affect how the bike performs, NO not at all.
My LT used to drift. I used to have to push my right knee against the tank to go straight on the interstate. My GA no problem. Go figure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi wiza
So as you read on the title thread, today I was contacted by one of the lead Engineers for the NHTSA. We had an hour long conversation about the 18+ K1600 Models. He informed me that there is an official open government investigation on BMW and ask me about my thoughts on the bike and my issues.

Backstory: When I first purchased this bike I had many complaints on the "LEFT PULL" and the wind oscillation behind vehicles. There was a 50/50 split on this forum stating they have no issue and others stating that they experience the same issues. A lot of you purchased new tires to just make the left pull go away but only work temporary.

Never all my years of riding have I felt a bike do these things. So thus, I filed a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). This was back in October 2019.

Today I received a call and we talked about several issues about my bike in particular. Mainly 2 was only of importance.

1. Left pull/steering oscillation
2. Limp mode activated on highway speeds

These have occurred with my bike. I let them know that I love this bike to death but with this awful recall and how its being handled there are a lot of you guys unhappy.
The handle a possible offer of the Government taking my bike and paying per diem. For testing. If the bike is unsafe to come back to my hands the government will pay full price back to me.

Now the purpose of this post. The lead engineer has told me there are about 980 K1600 registered in America about 30% are affected by similar complaints. He looking to interview people with these model bikes to contact him.

Contact information is below.

The purpose of all this is to gather as much evidence.

Bill Collins ([email protected])

Department of Transportation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Vehicle Research and Test Center

10820 SR 347 East Liberty, Ohio 43319

Office: 937-666-3271 Cell: 937-243-2264
[/QUOTE hi wizard I also received this notice.I live within 25 miles of the facility and I will call Mr collins this week.My B wobbles at 75mph in dirty air on freeway .It's uneasy feeling.I will gladly allow them to experiment if they wish.Will let you know

·
Registered
677 Posts
I find it interesting as I have never had any of the pullings you guys seem to have experienced in the USA. I mostly always ride with both hands on my bars but sometimes need to rest one hand and ride with only one on the bars but it has never felt as if it was going to pull left or right. May be I am just one of the lucky ones

·
Registered
461 Posts
I find it interesting as I have never had any of the pullings you guys seem to have experienced in the USA. I mostly always ride with both hands on my bars but sometimes need to rest one hand and ride with only one on the bars but it has never felt as if it was going to pull left or right. May be I am just one of the lucky ones
Well, there's your praaablem, lady. If those in the US with left hand pull, would ride in the left lanes of the highway, it would not be long before there were no more complaints.

Just kidding folks, just a joke. A little cabin fever, going stir crazy. I'm going out to the garage now to sit on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
The pull is when no hands are on the bars. It only takes a finger to run straight.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
From my involvement in motorcycling since the 1970's, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has not been an advocate of motorcycling in general. In fact, they have been an enemy of our rights to ride going all the way back to the days of Joan Claybrook, who to motorcycling at least, is public enemy #1. Back in the '70s, much was debated and talked about (amongst the AMA and pro-motorcycling publications such as Road Rider (Roger Hull, et al) regarding the government's desire to legislate the freedom we all know as motorcycle touring right off the face of the planet. I mean, what idiot in their right mind would intentionally cruise the streets and National Highways on a vehicle that has no airbags, no seatbelts, no rollover protection, etc. etc. etc.? Lawyers, as much as they are derided day in and day out, are very good at representing our case when it comes to being ripped off by a big corporate giant or injured by a product or motorist being negligent. But to engage with the NHTSA is like making a pact with the Devil himself, that is, unless you're not a true motorcyclist and have no desire to keep our pleasurable pastime legal as we know it today. The fact that they have a fancy name and seem like they want to help you personally? You can rest assured they are collecting evidence that will someday (soon?) put our pastime in jeopardy in the name of cleaning up the bloody highway death statistics which they use as a tool to promote their social agenda "keep us all safe from ourselves". No, I'm not buying it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts