BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In theory, with the pre-sales approach used for the k1600s, it should translate into the ideal situation to manufacture and deliver against. I have to applaud their willingness to try to improve over the s1000rr deliveries. Let's hope the design works and that deliveries meet people's expectations. BMW certainly had ahead of time all the information they needed. I guess the one unplanned variable was the disaster in Japan.

Does anyone have an idea of the plant's capacity to manufacture these machines? The email said they were running three shifts. 50 bikes per day? 100 bikes per day? I really have no idea.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have no idea on their rate per day. One other thing beyond the problems in Japan is the over whelming sucess of the launch with over twice the planded response even with the pre order time shortened by a month in the US alone. I think this demand will stay high for the forseeable future as the bike becomes well known among the general riding public.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree, my dealer told me this morning he has had over 20 people come in over the last couple of weeks trying to buy a 1600. He said if he had the units to sell he could sell 30+ this month.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In theory, with the pre-sales approach used for the k1600s, it should translate into the ideal situation to manufacture and deliver against. I have to applaud their willingness to try to improve over the s1000rr deliveries. Let's hope the design works and that deliveries meet people's expectations. BMW certainly had ahead of time all the information they needed. I guess the one unplanned variable was the disaster in Japan.

Does anyone have an idea of the plant's capacity to manufacture these machines? The email said they were running three shifts. 50 bikes per day? 100 bikes per day? I really have no idea.
I thought I read somewhere that the factory capacity is 500+ bikes per day. This is all models. Keep in mind my memory fails to recall correctly at times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just checked the quarterly report: For the quarter ending March 31, BMW reported 23,109 motorcycles manufactured. That is roughly 7,700 bikes per month or 255 bikes per day (all bikes combined but excluding Husqvarna).

Not much to expect in terms of guidance: that's the safe harbor policy "Thanks to our attractive range of models, we expect an increase in motorcycle sales in 2011, despite the continuing process of consolidation on the markets".

My dealer told me that other bikes delivery will be delayed because of the success of the flagship new models. Teh factoryis normally closed in August. I wonder if it will stay open this summer. That would add another 250 bikes...

·
Registered
764 Posts
i would actually bet they will be open if they get enough subassemblies from the vendors/suppliers. I really think that would be the limiting factor.

I hope I am wrong and they have 1000 next week

:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
i would actually bet they will be open if they get enough subassemblies from the vendors/suppliers. I really think that would be the limiting factor.

I hope I am wrong and they have 1000 next week

:)
Yep, I agree! I assume BMW Motorrad probably has a lead time of at least 90 days with their suppliers. It's just too short a notice for their suppliers to adjust. I assume they will ramp up production starting in September. If what we've heard about components from Japan is correct, the situation may be a bit more complex. In addition, if it is true that demand is significantly highter than expected wordwide, I doubt BMW will be able to meet demand before next year. And I sincerely hope I'm wrong...

·
Registered
957 Posts
The reality with respect to deliveries to the US pre-ordered customers (approximately 1100-1200 of them) is that BMW will have a lot of difficulty even meeting the pre-orders this year. The only non-preorder bikes that will be sold will be on cancelled orders like mine (#629), and I am not sure how many of those you will see. Of course, that would have to be after December, 2011 when all the rest of the pre-orders have been delivered. Not a very encouraging picture. Looks like your pre-order # would have to be within the first 100-200 to get any riding time this season (at least in the northern states).

It is very important for anyone who is interested in one of these bikes, to be willing to wait a long time for it ,and not to care what time of year it arrives (even middle of the winter).

Sorry, but this is the reality we've all had to contend with for some time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It is very important for anyone who is interested in one of these bikes, to be willing to wait a long time for it ,and not to care what time of year it arrives (even middle of the winter).

Kinda like buying any Harley in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when you had to know someone at a dealership or be lucky in a lottery drawing, and be willing to pay MSRP or more.

·
Registered
43 Posts

At least, living in California has some benefits :k16:
I have not placed an order yet; monitoring availability, comments from early adopters and possible technical issues is frustrating at times. When it's too much, I go for a ride on my K12GT and I enjoy the time off.
I hope you enjoy your new RT soon.
Kind regards,
--JM

·
Registered
203 Posts
2021 RTs will be in California second or third week in March the K bike 1600 B and grand American already there I believe

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
2021 RTs will be in California second or third week in March the K bike 1600 B and grand American already there I believe
Wow, is this the ultimate throwback thread? All ten posts, before yours, were made before the first pre-order K1600 arrived to the United States!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts