BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to hear of great "loop-type" rides others have done, starting from WA state and heading South/East.
Let's say you have 1 week, and do about 400 miles per day, and no heated gear. Where would you go?
I'm very preliminarily considering Yellowstone/Glacier, but would that have to be in the heart of summer, or could last week in May work?

I went south last year down Oregon and CA coast on 101/1 to Morro Bay, then came back the east side of the Sierra.

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Butler Maps, Mad Maps and to a lesser extent, Motorcycleroads.us have been very useful resources for that area of the country for me.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Multnomah Falls... then head east along the Columbia River Gorge.

·
Q
5,247 Posts
You could run Lolo pass on your way to Glacier and Yellowstone. The Beartooth Highway is in the neighborhood.. if it's open, which usually doesn't happen until Memorial Day.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I'd really suggest a heated liner for touring. Being comfortable opens so many doors. One of my favorite memories is blowing across the Oklahoma panhandle at night, 35 degrees, clear sky on the super moon night last November, and watching a glorious sunrise.

The *WIACSW did 1500 miles of rain in the low 40's with me last month and we're still married. Good gear makes a big difference.

I'm with Ralph on the maps. Pick your highways, stitch them together in base camp, dump them into the garmin, crank up the heat, and GO.

*Woman I am currently sleeping with

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I've got a little 8-day trip planned for March:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Nah, one day in FL and one day in GA, plus half a day in AL.

San Diego is just a drive-by, but that might change to Tempe which would save me about 40 miles... :k16:

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
I wouldn't ride passes without my heated vest anytime of the year. Mountains offer cool weather, that are so much more enjoyable when warm, anytime of the year.

As for route, I would focus on spending plenty of time identifying your favorite kind of roads along the way to your destination. Then, as others have said, connecting these together.

As Meese shows, a week can cover a lot of distance. In the alternative, a week can focus on superior backroads that take more time.

The ride is the more important to me than any destination. As such, I spend considerable effort to identify specific roads. Others are more interested in destinations, restaurants, visiting friends, etc... It is up to you to request specifically what you want help identifying on this ride. The experience and expertise here can help answer specific questions.

What may be a highly desirable route to me may be a horror to you.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

IMO an improvement bypasses SoCal altogether. North from Tucson to Vegas, then Reno, then west to connect back onto I-5 north of Sacremento.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts

I wouldn't ride passes without my heated vest anytime of the year. Mountains offer cool weather, that are so much more enjoyable when warm, anytime of the year.

As for route, I would focus on spending plenty of time identifying your favorite kind of roads along the way to your destination. Then, as others have said, connecting these together.

As Meese shows, a week can cover a lot of distance. In the alternative, a week can focus on superior backroads that take more time.

The ride is the more important to me than any destination. As such, I spend considerable effort to identify specific roads. Others are more interested in destinations, restaurants, visiting friends, etc... It is up to you to request specifically what you want help identifying on this ride. The experience and expertise here can help answer specific questions.

What may be a highly desirable route to me may be a horror to you.
I'm with RL on this page.

If you're looking for suggestions, I would suggest getting off the interstate and going through the Smokies. Also consider California State Route 1 and US 101 when out on the left coast. A good idea about dropping the hammer through Nebraska. :laugh: You might also consider throwing Glacier National Park into the mix seeing as you're almost there........

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you have a passport head north and take Canada hwy 1 and take a nice ride to Banff, then south back into the U.S. and head west. Make sure it is a little warmer though. Like some others have said just having a liner or vest that is heated is much more enjoyable than bundling up and feeling like the Michelin Man......

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper in Canada - easy 400 mile days - AMAZING scenery - comfortably warm in June/July/August...good exchange rate. I'm doing that trip in late July.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could run Lolo pass on your way to Glacier and Yellowstone. The Beartooth Highway is in the neighborhood.. if it's open, which usually doesn't happen until Memorial Day.
Thanks for the suggestions, I settled on the Lolo pass option.... Bellingham to Pullman to Lolo, then south over Lost Trail Pass to Salmon ID, continue south to Sawtooth wilderness, then East over to the Teton area, north to Glacier through Great Falls and over Going to the Sun, back through Bonners Ferry and then hwy 20. About 2400 mi; 6 days. Mid July time frame, will pass on Yellowstone due to crowds... save it for another year...

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Nice trip. Not too long, not too short and it should be late enough in the year Glacier should be passable.

A few years ago we were out in the Yellowstone area in the middle of May. We figured it was early enough in the tourist season to make it through the park without too much traffic. Unfortunately, it was awful. Rangers did not keep traffic moving and folks park right in the middle of the road to take bison pictures starting just a few miles into the trip. The rangers claim they only want those photos being taken at turn off points but they did not enforce that at all. In fact, they seemed to encourage it. We were stopped or crawling more than we were moving. This was too bad because simply enforcing the rule of only stopping to take pictures at turn off spots would have been better for all. Those wanting pictures would have gotten much better pictures and traffic would have kept moving. With 500 miles to cover that day it was a terrible start to the day. It was the worst traffic we encountered in 5,000 miles of our trip and that included time in Chicago. It does sound like some get lucky and can move along through the park but many don't. Being in July I'd expect the park to be busy.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I'm taking the last week in June off and taking a little trip down Hwy 395 from Riley OR to Barstow CA and then back up 99 to WA

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper in Canada - easy 400 mile days - AMAZING scenery - comfortably warm in June/July/August...good exchange rate. I'm doing that trip in late July.
Yeah, did that one 7 yrs ago on my triumph sprint...icefields parkway was truly spectacular...my first long distance solo ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts