BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 GTL - looking for your expertise and wisdom to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. I am in Ontario Canada - can you steer me in the right direction to identify what the difference is between option packages?
Some dealers state: Safety Package, Equipment Package.
Others do not specify any 'Package'.
Do these bikes all come with Keyless ride, gear shift assist, central locking and aux lights?
(the bike I'm looking at has aux lights and engine protect bars)

Any info you could provide helps, I keep getting mixed results in my searches.

Thanks for your time - currently riding a 2000 K1200LT and ready to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I would look here first

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Twoscoops: Here in the USA, all the new GTL’s that I’ve ever seen on dealer floors come fully equipped with all the options..... I’ve seen other postings on this site saying the same.
Ken

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Would agree with KEG—the bikes ordered for the showroom floor generally have the two major option packages on them and you get what you get. Bought my 2019 GTL from dealer inventory last year—wanted the green color, not the white they had at the dealership. Also wanted the highest seat I could get, although had already made up my mind I wanted to get an RDL, so that really wasn’t much of an issue. Most guys here love the headlight. I, and some others, find the driving lights worthless. Turned out I really like the hill assist. Reverse I hardly ever use—maybe because I am a tall, big guy. I paid extra for the ‘av VI unit, which was not included in the two packages on my bike. I like satellite radio, many guys prefer their phones. I added the top case brake light on my GTL from the dealer—anything that gets me seen more. Engine guards were part of one package—I would have added aftermarket ones, otherwise, for highway pegs. The 719 Option package can be found out there, but I find that an awful lot of money to get a paint color and some extra chrome. A very few guys have the expensive forged wheels and they love them...but wasn’t a concern for me. I have added a bunch of after market items, but these are my main thoughts on what might come out of a dealership.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
One more thing that the guys told me here when I was at your point eight months ago—test ride both a GTL and a GT, as the geometries are different between the seat, the pegs and the handlebars. Some here have preferred the GT geometry and just added the same top case as the GTL. I found the GTL more comfortable—but there is a difference and you want the starting point that best suits your comfort.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Twoscoops: Here in the USA, all the new GTL’s that I’ve ever seen on dealer floors come fully equipped with all the options..... I’ve seen other postings on this site saying the same.
Ken
Not all of them. The Option 719 bikes will include almost all of the options. They also get special paint colors that vary by year, and they will have pinstriping and an Option 719 emblem by the gas tank. 2016 and earlier (I think back to 2014) saw the availability of the GTL-E (Exclusive) model, which again included nearly every option available. The GTL-E even included some things that you could not get on any lower trim- a passenger lower backrest that was heated, for example.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fantastic-thank you all for the quick, informative responses. I was able to get a spec sheet for a 2019 and as you already know it has everything but Nav which I am adding. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Fantastic-thank you all for the quick, informative responses. I was able to get a spec sheet for a 2019 and as you already know it has everything but Nav which I am adding. Thanks!
Where are you located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with all the posts. Only thing to add would be to consider after market engine and bag guards at delivery. VERY expensive if the bike tips over or is dropped, or as in my case, got knocked over in a parking lot by someone who just could not figure out how to park their own car properly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with all the posts. Only thing to add would be to consider after market engine and bag guards at delivery. VERY expensive if the bike tips over or is dropped, or as in my case, got knocked over in a parking lot by someone who just could not figure out how to park their own car properly.
And to think that that someone ”passed” a drivers test. Maybe a cell phone was involved...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts