BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 GTL and have installed the front & rear ilium works "Crash bars," (*Yes, that's what they call them.) Anyway, I have seen the video of a drop test on a BMW RT 1200(?) and the results are good. But my question is: Has anyone here had a drop with the Ilium works front and or rear bars on a K 1600 and what is the extent of the damage to the bike? *Bags, plastics, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sky

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I also have the Ilium works crash bars but have not dropped my new bike as of today. I recommend installing a set of C4 side case protection bars if you haven't already. On my last K16 i had the BMW crash bars and the C4 bars. I dropped the bike the night before I traded it in. It was the C4 bars that protected the mirrors, fairing, etc. My expectation is that the Ilium crash bars will protect the engine. There have been report of total loss due to a stand still drop because the engine took the hit.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Funny you should ask; mine got away from me yesterday. I was trying to turn around on a dirt driveway with some soft sand. Front washed just a bit and it fell over to the left. I held it back all the way down so it was a soft landing No damage. Zero. Only the bars contacted the ground. Even the highway peg folded back up.

Had to get the wife to help me pick it back up so the ego took a big hit though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Illum Works engine guard (crash bars) and rear guard bags on my '14 GT. Like Mad Max, I once had a zero MPH tip over in soft sand & dirt. My tip over was to the right side, where his was to the left. Same result though -- soft landing, zero damage. No body work contacted the ground, only the bars and the left BMW LED fog light (just a little bit for the light). Had I been on asphalt, the BMW LED fog light might have gotten scratched, but as I was on dirt it just got dirty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dropped my fully loaded GTL with the engine bars, highway pegs, and hard case bars while stopped at a red light. Hardly any damage; just a small scuff on the peg and rear bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just installed Ilium engine and rear bars on my '18 GTL. It looks like the bars will offer very little protection for the low driving lights. The problem is worsened by the way the Ilium cross bar mounts under the light bracket with the spacers, moves the lights a bit more down and forward.

I have a set of Clearwater Darla lights left over from my previous BMW R1200R. I'm thinking about trying to move the BMW spots to mount on the top of the Ilium bars and putting the smaller (and less expensive) Darlas where the BMW lights are hung now. Anybody tried something like that?

I wish I had gone with the Altrider engine bars, but thought they wouldn't fit GTL after 2016. Evidently they actually will fit the 2018 GTL, at least some on a different forum claim.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The wiring connector to the BMW spotlight looks like it should unplug. Are there any locking tabs? I don't want to pull very hard and break something.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sky, I am also looking at the Ilium engine guard and would include the highway pegs also. Don't want to hijack your thread, but what is your general thoughts about the looks of this bar? Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the Ilium crash bars (26-500) and foot pegs (19-500). They are top-notch quality and blend with the bike's appearance very well. The pegs may go on the market as I've never felt comfortable riding with my feet in front of me. Still deciding, but think I'm going to remove them (I stretch my legs by standing up...a leftover habit from ADV days).

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have the Ilium crash bars (26-500) and foot pegs (19-500). They are top-notch quality and blend with the bike's appearance very well. The pegs may go on the market as I've never felt comfortable riding with my feet in front of me. Still deciding, but think I'm going to remove them (I stretch my legs by standing up...a leftover habit from ADV days).
I had a set of these on my 2017 GTL and like you was not sure if I liked them, I did use them for short periods to allow me to stretch out I have to say I gave mine away when I sold my bike and wished I kept them to put on my new bike when it is finally released by BMW after the recall, I kept my OME engine bars so they would have been a good fit. Funny you do things to help others only to regret giving them away. To replace them now with our dollar being so low and the USPS charges make them way too expensive in Australia at the moment.
I think I will be waiting a long time before our dollar is anywhere near what it was back then.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hello,

Where can I purchase roll over bars for K1600B
I think you mean crash bars or engine protection bars. If I am correct you can google them and there are so many options from OME to aftermarket available, good luck and have fun searching. If your anything like me you will find heaps of other accessories to buy as well lol.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I put them on my B and with the stock front guards they work perfectly. Bike fell over but only the guards touched the tarmac. Absolutely zero damage. I was very impressed, and relieved

·
Registered
932 Posts
Donna, I hope you're safe from the latest bush fires down your way ,plus its not giving you too much work to do.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I put them on my B and with the stock front guards they work perfectly. Bike fell over but only the guards touched the tarmac. Absolutely zero damage. I was very impressed, and relieved
There are three kinds of motorcycle riders: those who have dropped their bike, those who will drop their bike, and those whose bike needs to be picked up because it is laying on its side.

I've dropped two different bikes, neither one even had the engine running at the time. Engine and rear bars prevented any damage both times. The bars themselves had some marks and the underside of the rider's foot pegs had a minor scrape, but nothing else on the bikes even touched the ground. A tip-over on a GTL without bars can be very, very expensive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the Ilium bars on my GTL and had a ferry incident where the bike went over on it's right side. The fall caused $6K worth of damage to saddle bag, mirror, windshield, trunk, and various other plastic pieces. At least it was drivable but the bike suffered a lot more damage than I would have expected. I was not riding or moving forward. It was a just a tip over but it did roll over onto its side.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts