BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put them on my B and with the stock front guards they work perfectly. Bike fell over but only the guards touched the tarmac. Absolutely zero damage. I was very impressed, and relieved
I too just dropped my GA in a gravel parking lot. I had no protection other than the factory engine guard and the saddle bag got scuffed up and along with the mirror. Luckily no damage to the fairing. I wondered if putting the rear Ilium guard would have kept the rear off the ground but caused the fairing to touch; apparently not if I'm understanding correctly. Looking at the pictures of the Ilium engine guard, it does not appear to offer much if any greater protection than the factory guard. Comments welcome about the advantages/disadvantages of a combination of stock engine guard and Ilium saddle bag guard on the B or GA.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I too just dropped my GA in a gravel parking lot. I had no protection other than the factory engine guard and the saddle bag got scuffed up and along with the mirror. Luckily no damage to the fairing. I wondered if putting the rear Ilium guard would have kept the rear off the ground but caused the fairing to touch; apparently not if I'm understanding correctly. Looking at the pictures of the Ilium engine guard, it does not appear to offer much if any greater protection than the factory guard. Comments welcome about the advantages/disadvantages of a combination of stock engine guard and Ilium saddle bag guard on the B or GA.
Incorrect, the rear guards in combination with the front guards keep everything but the guards off the ground. The fronts keep the fairing clear, the rear protects the panniers. The mirrors were also kept clear of the ground. There were only four points of contact with the road, front tyre, rear tyre, front (factory) guard and rear (Illium) guard. Every other part of the bike did not make contact with the ground.
I was really impressed with just how effective they were.
I will add that my fall was with the bike stationary, I don’t know, nor ever wish to experience how the guards perform at any speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, Donna, for the quick response and answering the question so clearly. My bike lay on the ground with three contact points; the rear bag, the engine guard and the mirror- I like your scenario a lot better. I guess I better order the rear bars, better late than never.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think if your mirror touched down with the OEM bars, it would still do so with the addition of the Ilium rear bars. Being on a gravel parking lot probably lets the bars sink into the ground, depends on how hard packed it is I guess; but that might factor in.

I have Ilium rear bars and Altrider engine bars on my GTL. It fell over in my driveway (flat, cement) and it rested on both sets of bars and both tires. The rider's foot peg touched, but it folds up so there was just a tiny scratch. Nothing else on the bike made contact. All cases were on the bike, but not yet loaded. With the Altrider engine bars, the mirrors were not even close to touching. Side case was about an inch from touching.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the good sense (rare) to have Ilium pannier guards installed by the dealer before taking delivery of my B. And they paid for themselves the first time I tried using the center stand with bike in garage. Not a scratch on anything including the pannier guards/stock engine guards.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks, Donna, for the quick response and answering the question so clearly. My bike lay on the ground with three contact points; the rear bag, the engine guard and the mirror- I like your scenario a lot better. I guess I better order the rear bars, better late than never.
Terry the Illium rear luggage bars are great quality and don't look like they came from mars like some of the other brands. Some pics of mine on my GTL below. I am also adding the Illium Works new style adjustable pegs for the OME engine bars , they are so much better than the older Illium pegs I use to have on my 2017GTL.

IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_0050.jpeg
IMG_1673.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Thanks guys!

Thanks a bunch for the replies. It just looks like the Ilium bars are a bit too far inward to protect more than the engine but your testimonies cleared that up. Yes, a zero speed crash is what there are designed for, not a rolling go over.

Best,

Sky

*My 74 Norton:

Dayum that Norton looks sweet!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts