BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a set of crash bars so I can install them as soon as I pick up my bike after I finally take delivery (it's been imprisoned in the Morton's warehouse for a couple months). I still have another couple of months, but I can't find the answer to one question:

I like the minimalist look of the Illium bars, but I've seen here where some folks have had the Aux light mount pushed into and damage the radiator in a tipover, but no idea which crash bars (if any) were installed. For those with Illium bars - I can't tell from any pictures, but do the Illium crash bars protect the Aux light from contact with the ground (and from puncturing the radiator)?

If the aux light is still vulnerable with the Illium bars, I'll go with the AltRider even though I don't like the look as much (not worried about contact in turns with the preload from 2up and Sport ESA settings). As far as the other engine guards, the Wunderlich bars aren't for me (don't like the look) and not even considering the BMW bars.

Not trying to devolve this into another "which crash bar" thread, just asking a specific question (that I can't find the answer to). :confused:

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
My tip over was the day before the bars arrived on the big brown truck. No tip overs since then. I think C4 had some pics of his bike laid gently on its side that show how the tip over bars work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered the Ilium bars after speaking with the company. They assured me that their bars came out far enough to protect the lights. I got them instead of AltRider because of the look and the highway pegs. I haven't had a tipover. I'm not convinced the lights would be unscathed, the bars are right on the same line. The AltRider might be the safer choice for the lights.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
With the foot pegs, the lights are safer, but they are still protected without them.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I ordered the Ilium bars after speaking with the company. They assured me that their bars came out far enough to protect the lights. I got them instead of AltRider because of the look and the highway pegs. I haven't had a tipover. I'm not convinced the lights would be unscathed, the bars are right on the same line. The AltRider might be the safer choice for the lights.
I have dropped my K1600GT three times; twice on the left and once on the right. Each time the bike "rolled over" past the AltRider bars with Illium highway pegs + "different side case protection/ tip-over bars" made by C 4 and scuffed up the mirror, the Clearwater Erica light, and the top edge curve of the BMW hard saddle bag.

So it depends on how and where you drop the bike. My left side fall was while handing over toll money at the Blue Water Bridge at Port Huron, Michigan going into Canada. That one broke off the left mirror.

The most recent drop was in my driveway on January 4 in an ice storm while going less than 5 mph. My driveway has a rather steep compound slope that coupled with the valley gutter at the street (which is also steep slope opposite of my driveway coming to my house from US 61 one block east).

Lots of damage in that fall.

Jim Puckett
Midland MI and Jackson MO

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can say that my Ilium Bars did protect my bike 100%. While on a highway shoulder stop- I "Swore" I put my side stand down, but nope, it was "almost" down. The bike followed me off, and there it was laying on the ground (left side). What a sight. After a few words, I picked it up and inspected for damage- None. Nada. There was a few marks on the bar, (which I since sanded and repainted- 5 minutes) but nothing was damaged on the K. These bars worked in this situation.

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
I have the Ilium tip over bars and highway foot pegs. I tipped my bike over on the left side with the tires up off the ground while negotiation a 180 degree turn going up Pikes Peak behind a flat lander going at least 1 mph. Even though I had scrapes on the pannier chrome strip, left mirror and broken left foot peg and highway peg there was zero damage to the stock aux light on my 2012 GTL (no plastic wing)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can tell you that my AltRider bars do a great job protecting the lights and everything else on the bike. I dropped it once, before I put on the bars. Since spending the money and time on installing the bars, the bike has not gone over. Thus, perfect protection.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
That's a shame. I *believe* the construction of crash bars requires tooling, which is quite expensive, and therefore unlikely for any vendor to make improvements.

I'm leaning towards the Altriders now, but hesitant because of the scraping. However, it looks like they don't scrape much, and only near the rearward bolt.

I'm wondering if this area can be ground or filed down enough to eliminate the scraping?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
That's a shame. I *believe* the construction of crash bars requires tooling, which is quite expensive, and therefore unlikely for any vendor to make improvements.

I'm leaning towards the Altriders now, but hesitant because of the scraping. However, it looks like they don't scrape much, and only near the rearward bolt.

I'm wondering if this area can be ground or filed down enough to eliminate the scraping?
Mine scraped once badly enough for the rear wheel to lose traction. I switched to Ilium and have not scraped. The advantage of AltRiders is that the angle between a fallen bike and the ground is greater than with other crash bars so it's easier for the rider to lift the bike. That same angle is what allows the bars to scrape.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I once disabled the anti-dive mechanism on my GL1800... and the bike would then scrape the front crash bar. On that bike it would make the front wheel skip and that's not what I want when fully leaned over at 100+ mph.

So I hear you and agree this is deadly serious business. The comments about alleviating the scraping by setting the suspension and using some hanging technique doesn't fly with me either. The Altriders are OUT of the running for me then.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
No scraping with those, Gary? Can I assume you've put them to the test?

I like your setup btw. It looks like your windshield has a slight "flip up" at the top edge. Does that work well to get the airstream up and over the top of you and a passenger?

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
R-Type front protection bars from Japan

The R-Type front protection bars from Japan provide the best lean angle for the rider. You will hit ground with the center stand, rear protection bar or the exhaust of the K1600 before the front protection bars. For me I use titanium peg savers ( pepsx Products, http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/36697-peg-savers-make-sparks.html ). I enjoy the sparks & so do others. The are a warning to me that I am getting past a 58 degree lean angle (rider- two up with luggage). Yes, we measured it with the CBDane device on one of our mountain trips ( http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/southeast-riders/138698-k1600-mountain-rides-2017-a.html ). Replacing the bottom of your front pegs on a K1600 can be a bit pricey; $130/ ea ( MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1600GTL (K48) ).

The windsheild is the Large Aeroflow GT winsheild for the GTL ( AeroFlow Corp. K1600GT AeroScreen on GTL ). I like it because I can see over it when the windsheild is all the way down & the windshield creates a pocket to stop turbulence/ back pressure especially at higher speeds. Do not know effect on passenger as I am a solo rider.

Best,

Doc:tb:tb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts