BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I just looked at my bike, the Illium Works crash bars are a little bit wider than the aux lights and with the highway pegs a little bit more. I'll post a pic tomorrow

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I just looked at my bike, the Illium Works crash bars are a little bit wider than the aux lights and with the highway pegs a little bit more. I'll post a pic tomorrow
They are, I got you covered with the pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I didn't buy the bars to protect the aux lights, I bought them to protect the engine incase of a mishap. You can't expect a crash bar to protect the entire bike if it were to go over, there's going to be something scuffed up somewhere, it's just the way it is. The iliums may not completely protect that light but one thing they will do is keep the lights mounting bracket from being pushed thru and punching a hole in the radiator. Which is one side effect of not having a crash bar on the bike.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
GL1800 OEM crash bars fully protects that bike; many Harley's and Victory's also.

Some of us are spoiled when it comes to bars! Half of Goldwing owners lay the bike on the side for changing rear tires, rather than removing the rear fender. It lays down at about 35 degrees or so.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2015 came with Illum front bars/highway pegs as well as pannier protectors. I'm unimpressed with the front bars but I believe that the shape and length of the pannier bars would stop the bike from rolling further onto the paint, mirrors, etc. In fact, I think Illum has a photo of this very thing on their website.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a set of Illium engine guards on my 2013 and had a controlled drop. The driving light suffered a few scratches in the process but did not damage the rad. I switched these bars out for Altrider bars as they appear to protect the lights better. Its a personal preference and ultimately for you to decide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can say that my Ilium Bars did protect my bike 100%. While on a highway shoulder stop- I "Swore" I put my side stand down, but nope, it was "almost" down. The bike followed me off, and there it was laying on the ground (left side). What a sight. After a few words, I picked it up and inspected for damage- None. Nada. There was a few marks on the bar, (which I since sanded and repainted- 5 minutes) but nothing was damaged on the K. These bars worked in this situation.
That's great to hear. Did you have the footrests installed as well or just the bars?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts