BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 K1600 GTL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the K1600 suspension be modified to increase ground clearance ?
Has anyone successfully attempted this and if so what were the costs and results ?
I have already removed the centre stand which was always scraping first.
I have tried all the computerized suspension preload settings - and have settled on the stiffest, being two up with luggage, although I take the panniers off for the canyons to lighten the bike.

I am getting frustrated with constantly scrapping the pegs in the canyons.
Thanks in advance.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,451 Posts
Can the K1600 suspension be modified to increase ground clearance ?
Has anyone successfully attempted this and if so what were the costs and results ?
I have already removed the centre stand which was always scraping first.
I have tried all the computerized suspension preload settings - and have settled on the stiffest, being two up with luggage, although I take the panniers off for the canyons to lighten the bike.

I am getting frustrated with constantly scrapping the pegs in the canyons.
Thanks in advance.
Your problem isn't lack of clearance; the problem is your suspension; e.g. shocks. How many miles on your shocks? What do you weigh? Even new the stock shocks have their limitations. 10 years ago when I bought my GT I too was dragging the center stand. The problem wasn't due to lack of ground clearance. It was due to weight and aggressive riding style; the suspension was collapsing. I too immediately removed the center stand. The first winter of ownership I had a custom set of Wilber shocks built/installed. Problem solved I reinstalled the center stand. 90,000 + miles and I've never dragged the center stand again.

Duane

·
Registered
2013 K1600 GTL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike is a 2013 GTL with 11k on the engine. I weigh 165lbs. 40+ years of riding , and I am an advanced instructor CHP / CMSP. I also instruct at track days.
I understand what is happening and why it's happening .... so my cure is a set of Wilbers front and rear ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Wilbers, Ohlins. or an S1000RR! I had a set of Ohlins on 2 K1200 LTs. Night and day difference over stock. Ohlins are lighter weight shocks and need to be rebuilt every 30,000 - 35,000 miles. I've never owned Wilbers, but as they're heavier shocks and I don't think have to be rebuilt as often, I'll probably go with those when the time comes. Hyperpro makes progressive springs. They might help too.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,451 Posts
@Brit On A Bike , [Assume] by 11,000 on engine your mean total bike miles. Your stock shocks could be bad. Either way, Wilbers will solve your issue.

Duane

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Wilbers, Ohlins. or an S1000RR! I had a set of Ohlins on 2 K1200 LTs. Night and day difference over stock. Ohlins are lighter weight shocks and need to be rebuilt every 30,000 - 35,000 miles. I've never owned Wilbers, but as they're heavier shocks and I don't think have to be rebuilt as often, I'll probably go with those when the time comes. Hyperpro makes progressive springs. They might help too.
I'd love to hear that you can fit Ohlins to a K1600

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
… make sure the preload adjuster, actually preload.

- I once had a 2011 GTL, drove it for 2 years, was not satisfied with the suspension when driving full loaded 2 up. Got new suspension from Wilburs, … it was better, but still not good enough.

Turns out the motor that drives the preload thingy, did not work. And its a part you do not get when getting wilburs. Its a BMW part, and you have to get the hole suspension … its not a single sparepart.

You can see/feel the bike raise and lower when you change the setting … mine just changed the display setting, but was not raised or lowered… - I did not know that … now i know …

1 - 9 of 9 Posts