BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Forum Members, my wife just picked up a Dalmation puppy from the breeder our daughter got her three-yr-old dog. We would like to take our dog on day and overnight/weekend trips so we are looking at options. The dog will be too big (~50 lbs) to take on the bike with the two of us so we are considering a trailer designed for pets (see example photo below). I would prefer a trailer designed for pets, but would consider doing the modifications to another trailer myself. I have many questions, so would like to here from the collective:

1. Overall experience pulling trailer?
2. Single wheel (my preference) vs. 'standard' two-wheel trailer?
3. Experience with pet specific trailers?
4. Good trailer companies / models to consider?
5. Hitch options and recommendations?
6. Finally ... does anyone have a trailer they are interested in selling?

Thank you team!

Example:
Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

Pup:
Dog Dog supply Plant Dog breed Carnivore

·
Scammer Hammer
3,746 Posts
The Unigo is a cool little trailer.

I hauled the trailer in my Avatar for many years. 2 years ago I came to my senses and sold it and bought light weight camping gear instead.

The problem with a regular trailer is the weight and length. Parking can be a beetch. Also, all that stuff bounces around in the trailer because it is hard to pack tight. You take more stuff than you really need adding to the weight.

Vic here on the forum had a pet trailer custom made. It is really cool and nicely done. I do wonder how appropriate it is to carry a pet in a trailer.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
371 Posts
This was taken at the Outer Banks Bike week in 2012. Looked nice but not sure about the ventilation. This was in April or May. I wonder how loud those Rinehart's sounded in the trailer!
Jeans Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive design

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Hey Forum Members, my wife just picked up a Dalmation puppy from the breeder our daughter got her three-yr-old dog. We would like to take our dog on day and overnight/weekend trips so we are looking at options. The dog will be too big (~50 lbs) to take on the bike with the two of us so we are considering a trailer designed for pets (see example photo below). I would prefer a trailer designed for pets, but would consider doing the modifications to another trailer myself. I have many questions, so would like to here from the collective:

1. Overall experience pulling trailer?
2. Single wheel (my preference) vs. 'standard' two-wheel trailer?
3. Experience with pet specific trailers?
4. Good trailer companies / models to consider?
5. Hitch options and recommendations?
6. Finally ... does anyone have a trailer they are interested in selling?

Thank you team!

Example:
View attachment 159403

Pup:
View attachment 159404
Sent PM

·
Registered
278 Posts
The problem with putting your pet on a trailer as I see it, no matter what the arrangement is, and or how the trailer is built, your pet is still gonna have to deal with the EXHAUST from your bike. Not only the toxic side, but the noise side too. Now, maybe there's quite a few riders out there that haven't ended up on the end of a days ride with a dead animal back there but, again, this is just my opinion.

I realize that the 1600 engine, as is the case of many, if not all late model catalytic converter motorcycles, is a clean burning engine. But still, think about how close the exhaust would be to the trailer and, the turbulence around that trailer. I just recently adapted my Kuryakyn Pet Palace that I used to carry on my '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing, to my 2015 BMW K1600 GTL-Exclusive.

Our dog, a fairly small Mini Schnauzer tips the scales at a whopping 12-13 lbs. This is kind-of an experiment at this time. I thought about putting the Pet Palace on top of my Aluma Trailer that I'm gonna tow with the bike but again, that little dog would have to put up with that exhaust and the noise. I just think it would be too ugly of an environment for the dog being on or in a trailer. Just an opinion.
Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
My dog has ridden it for over 15k miles.... never a problem, no signs of sickness, dogs are resistant to getting in the trailer if they don't like it. My dog was happy as can be, knowing he was going for a ride, when he saw me pulling it out he would stand by it until I opened the rear ramp.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well AZ,
Like I stated, there's probably (you included) many, many riders out there with pets on or in a trailer and their dogs aren't dead yet. Without taking their place in or on a trailer, I can only surmise on what the environment would or could be like back there. Many of us like to take our pets along with us but, I just don't know about trailering them. Who knows, maybe I'm just over thinking this.
Scott

·
Registered
173 Posts
The problem with putting your pet on a trailer as I see it, no matter what the arrangement is, and or how the trailer is built, your pet is still gonna have to deal with the EXHAUST from your bike. Not only the toxic side, but the noise side too. Now, maybe there's quite a few riders out there that haven't ended up on the end of a days ride with a dead animal back there but, again, this is just my opinion.

I realize that the 1600 engine, as is the case of many, if not all late model catalytic converter motorcycles, is a clean burning engine. But still, think about how close the exhaust would be to the trailer and, the turbulence around that trailer. I just recently adapted my Kuryakyn Pet Palace that I used to carry on my '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing, to my 2015 BMW K1600 GTL-Exclusive.

Our dog, a fairly small Mini Schnauzer tips the scales at a whopping 12-13 lbs. This is kind-of an experiment at this time. I thought about putting the Pet Palace on top of my Aluma Trailer that I'm gonna tow with the bike but again, that little dog would have to put up with that exhaust and the noise. I just think it would be too ugly of an environment for the dog being on or in a trailer. Just an opinion.
Scott
EXACT same bike, same pet carrier, (different) dog loves it!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Roger that Steve,
I just didn't know who you were directing your comment to. Sorry. We used that Pet palace on the same trunk lid on our '08 Honda GL 1800 Golwing for years and it's always worked just great. Our little Schnauzer seems to take to that little travel kennel without any form of dislike. The Wing trunk is more securely mounted than the K bike trunk. But, I think the Pet Palace will do just fine. I've not taken the little runt for a ride yet on the Beemer so, we'll see how it goes.
Scott

Reactions: smahon

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
I like @Prince suggestion of using a Unigo Trailer. It would be fairly easy to remove the lid and fabricate a windscreen.

Duane

Reactions: mantincp

·
Registered
278 Posts
One of the things I don't think I like about the Unigo or just about any other trailer to be used as the pet hauler is the ride. I don't really know what kind of suspension a Unigo has on it but, it is a smaller trailer and, therefore might be more affected by Americas less than quality roads, freeways, country roads etc. Just guessing here. This is why I like my way. At least the bikes suspension can subdue a lot of the bad pavement, concrete seams, and anything else encountered. But, you also can't put a larger pet in what I carry our little dog in so, as usual, a trade off.
Scott

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
One of the things I don't think I like about the Unigo or just about any other trailer to be used as the pet hauler is the ride. I don't really know what kind of suspension a Unigo has on it but, it is a smaller trailer and, therefore might be more affected by Americas less than quality roads, freeways, country roads etc. Just guessing here. This is why I like my way. At least the bikes suspension can subdue a lot of the bad pavement, concrete seams, and anything else encountered. But, you also can't put a larger pet in what I carry our little dog in so, as usual, a trade off.
Scott
Your point is well taken and I agree. But it doesn't help with the OP dilemma.

Duane

1 - 17 of 17 Posts