BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is instructions on how to install the BMW armrests onto a K1600B Grand America. My BGA is a 2019 with the rear speakers, but the procedure will also work for a 2018.

BMW did not supply any installation instructions, so I had to wing it. The pictures and text here may not exactly match, as I went along, I had to backtrack and experiment a couple of times. These instructions are what would be the best methods AFAIK.

On your top box, at the lower front of the sides, are "arrow" shaped panels. The first step is to remove these panels while the top box is still mounted to the bike. I recommend using a plastic body pry tool to pop the top of the panels off at the locations shown.

This is what the front lower corners will look like with that little panel removed. Arrows point to where the tabs go.

This is what the little panel looks like removed. You will not need these anymore.

Now, go ahead and remove the trunk from the bike. Take out the carpet. The red arrow bolts secure the top box. Remove them. T-40. The box won't fall off when the bolts are removed. The green arrow screws hold the bottom cover on. Remove them next. T-25

The bottom cover won't fall off because there is a push clip in the center of the cover.

Unplug the circular red arrow connector. Also unplug the audio source green arrow connector, if 2019. It has a difficult retaining clip, use a small screwdriver to pry up to release. Note the picture is with connectors to top box removed.

Remove the top box by sliding backwards toward rear of bike. Put upside down on stained but debris free carpet. Grab the bottom cover by the 2 humps for the mounting bracket and pull straight up to release the push clip. The front of the cover is in tabs at the front of the case and release easily when the rest of the cover is free.

Bottom cover sitting on bottom of case.

What the H-bracket looks like. The red arrows show where the armrest support will mount to. Green arrows are where the top box bolts go.

BTW, it occurs to me that this simple H-bracket could hold just about any top box, like maybe a Shad 58L for those long tours. It would also be simple to buy a spare bottom cover and cut it to fit the bottom profile of what ever case was mounted. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove the top case.

Here is the armrest bracket mounted. The front bolt is hard to access, if you have a long T-40 key, that helps.

Top view of the bracket. The top box has recesses where the bars are.

I will now save you a ton of time. There's 2 little rubber fillers that go between the top box and the armrest post. They should be in the armrest post box. They aren't called out in the parts fiche and don't have a part number AFAIK. I thought I could put those on when I mounted the armrest posts. I was wrong and had to do a major backtrack. These must be mounted while the top box is not on the bike.

Specifically, they are mounted to the side covers of the top box. So first, you have to remove the side covers from the top box. There are 5 screws holding the side on. 3 are at the bottom of the box, and 2 are inside around the lip of the bottom half of the box. All 5 screws are the same, but the ones at the green arrow position have washers and the other 3 don't.

This is the bottom view, showing the 3 screws on the bottom. The 2 to the right have the washers.

This is the top view, showing the 2 screws on top.

Once the screws are out, there are 2 remaining tabs, one at the front and one at the top. Pull the panel up and forward and it will disengage.

The rubber filler has tabs that pull into the slots left by the little panel we removed earlier. Use a pair of pliers to grab the rubber tabs and pull them inward until the ridge in the tab pops into place. It will take some force before they pop into place.

So, now you can replace the side covers on the top box. Then mount the box back on the bike and replace the 4 bolts holding it on. Then slide the bottom cover back up underneath. The tabs at the front can be easily re-engaged. Then pop the center of the cover back into its tab at the middle.
Replace the 4 screws from inside the top box into the bottom cover.

Here's what the end of the bracket looks at when the top box is back on the bike.

From here, it is easy to mount the armrest "arms". 2 bolts on either side. The the pads mount to the arms with 2 screws each.

Here's the finished product. Looks comfortable !

The top box lid can be raised and lowered with the armrests in any position.

Now on to the next farkles -

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I paid $1175. I don't know if BMW has an accessory kit yet, I bought several separate items -

77148557295 BASIC CARRIER ARMREST
77258409495 SET ARM REST LEFT
77258409496 SET ARM REST RIGHT
07129907401 ISA SCREW (2)
46637659459 OVAL-HEAD SCREW (4)
07119905733 WASHER (6)
07129907382 FILLISTER-HEAD SCREW (6)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No the ebay ones are for a GTL not GA. The mounting bar is totally different. The sides and the armrests themselves are the same between GTL and GA, but it won't mount one to the other.

Look at my pix above and the pix on ebay and you can see the massive difference in the mounting bars.

And yes, mine were purchased from BMW dealer as described above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is instructions on how to install the BMW armrests onto a K1600B Grand America. My BGA is a 2019 with the rear speakers, but the procedure will also work for a 2018.

BMW did not supply any installation instructions, so I had to wing it. The pictures and text here may not exactly match, as I went along, I had to backtrack and experiment a couple of times. These instructions are what would be the best methods AFAIK.

On your top box, at the lower front of the sides, are "arrow" shaped panels. The first step is to remove these panels while the top box is still mounted to the bike. I recommend using a plastic body pry tool to pop the top of the panels off at the locations shown.

This is what the front lower corners will look like with that little panel removed. Arrows point to where the tabs go.

This is what the little panel looks like removed. You will not need these anymore.

Now, go ahead and remove the trunk from the bike. Take out the carpet. The red arrow bolts secure the top box. Remove them. T-40. The box won't fall off when the bolts are removed. The green arrow screws hold the bottom cover on. Remove them next. T-25

The bottom cover won't fall off because there is a push clip in the center of the cover.

Unplug the circular red arrow connector. Also unplug the audio source green arrow connector, if 2019. It has a difficult retaining clip, use a small screwdriver to pry up to release. Note the picture is with connectors to top box removed.

Remove the top box by sliding backwards toward rear of bike. Put upside down on stained but debris free carpet. Grab the bottom cover by the 2 humps for the mounting bracket and pull straight up to release the push clip. The front of the cover is in tabs at the front of the case and release easily when the rest of the cover is free.

What the H-bracket looks like. The red arrows show where the armrest support will mount to. Green arrows are where the top box bolts go.

BTW, it occurs to me that this simple H-bracket could hold just about any top box, like maybe a Shad 58L for those long tours. It would also be simple to buy a spare bottom cover and cut it to fit the bottom profile of what ever case was mounted. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove the top case.

Here is the armrest bracket mounted. The front bolt is hard to access, if you have a long T-40 key, that helps.

I will now save you a ton of time. There's 2 little rubber fillers that go between the top box and the armrest post. They should be in the armrest post box. They aren't called out in the parts fiche and don't have a part number AFAIK. I thought I could put those on when I mounted the armrest posts. I was wrong and had to do a major backtrack. These must be mounted while the top box is not on the bike.

Specifically, they are mounted to the side covers of the top box. So first, you have to remove the side covers from the top box. There are 5 screws holding the side on. 3 are at the bottom of the box, and 2 are inside around the lip of the bottom half of the box. All 5 screws are the same, but the ones at the green arrow position have washers and the other 3 don't.

This is the bottom view, showing the 3 screws on the bottom. The 2 to the right have the washers.

Once the screws are out, there are 2 remaining tabs, one at the front and one at the top. Pull the panel up and forward and it will disengage.

The rubber filler has tabs that pull into the slots left by the little panel we removed earlier. Use a pair of pliers to grab the rubber tabs and pull them inward until the ridge in the tab pops into place. It will take some force before they pop into place.

So, now you can replace the side covers on the top box. Then mount the box back on the bike and replace the 4 bolts holding it on. Then slide the bottom cover back up underneath. The tabs at the front can be easily re-engaged. Then pop the center of the cover back into its tab at the middle.

Here's what the end of the bracket looks at when the top box is back on the bike.

From here, it is easy to mount the armrest "arms". 2 bolts on either side. The the pads mount to the arms with 2 screws each.

Nice job man, I plan to pick up my Grand America in December and definitely want those arm rest.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Awesome instructions. I found it very easy to install the rubber gap covers without taking apart the box. Your instructions had me wrap up my install in about 30 minutes. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Don't forget the cup holder - a "must have" accessory for that special person in your life
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts