BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I rode to/from the BMWRA rally at Barber Motorsports park in Alabama, ~1600 miles total. The GTL drivetrain performed flawlessly.

I did have one moment of excitement about 400 or so miles into the trip, when at 70 mph the instrument cluster suddenly went totally dark -- like there had been a total power failure.

The bike kept right on going on cruise control as if nothing happened. In a couple of seconds the cluster "re-booted" -- the entire start-up sequence, gauge sweeps and all, and resumed functioning (speed, rpm, menus). No further problems (fortunately, as I came home via the Cherohala Skyway and the southern end of the BRP - a dead cluster 1/2 through a turn would have been a bit, um, distracting).

All my menu preferences were back to defaults, and the mileage trip meter was set to a new, rather random-looking number (about 1/2 of the previous setting). A couple of the presets were not available, but after a restart at a gas stop, everything was back to normal.

Bizarre. I'm going to remove my cluster to make sure that there's not a problem with the power wire to the cluster. In the meantime I wanted to check in here to see whether anyone else has seen this problem and had any cause/fix experience to share.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I haven't had this happen with the cluster, but it does occasionally happen with the GPS.

Kind of a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed -- that is a known Garmin issue; I've had it happen on Nav IV's on other bikes (and it happened to me once on this trip as well).

One thing I did not mention is that during the trip I used the MultiController literally hundreds of times. The cluster re-boot occurred during a sequence of 2-3 rapid "select" pushes -- if it's not a power supply issue, maybe the firmware lost its mind and gave up!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Too bad the mileage odo didn't also reset to 1/2 its original total. :)

Russ

·
Premium Member
6,453 Posts
Keep us informed at what you find with the power wiring.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not on a BMW but I had that happen a couple of times on my Ducati Diavel

It even reset enough that a DOS-like screen appeared briefly

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Were the conditions dusty at all? I've had this happen on my old K1200GT while running through dusty conditions on a small desert highway. It was caused by a static discharge. The cluster came back alive but the fuel sensor was dead.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep us informed at what you find with the power wiring.
Will do. I got home late last night (Mom's birthday being a higher priority!), so the nose is only 1/2-way apart. I should get to the connector tonight.

Were the conditions dusty at all? I've had this happen on my old K1200GT while running through dusty conditions on a small desert highway. It was caused by a static discharge. The cluster came back alive but the fuel sensor was dead.
Interesting. No unusual environmental conditions. I ran into a thunderstorm at Knoxville, TN, but that was nearly an hour later, and there was no lightning discharge observed until I was nearly out of the storm.

The only unusual thing at the time was my rapid, multi-pulse operation of the MultiController wheel, but I don't expect that a bus operating an order of magnitude or two faster than I could ever operate the wonder wheel would not have been able to keep up with my "clicks."

·
Registered
71 Posts
This weekend I rode to/from the BMWRA rally at Barber Motorsports park in Alabama, ~1600 miles total. The GTL drivetrain performed flawlessly.

I did have one moment of excitement about 400 or so miles into the trip, when at 70 mph the instrument cluster suddenly went totally dark -- like there had been a total power failure.

The bike kept right on going on cruise control as if nothing happened. In a couple of seconds the cluster "re-booted" -- the entire start-up sequence, gauge sweeps and all, and resumed functioning (speed, rpm, menus). No further problems (fortunately, as I came home via the Cherohala Skyway and the southern end of the BRP - a dead cluster 1/2 through a turn would have been a bit, um, distracting).

All my menu preferences were back to defaults, and the mileage trip meter was set to a new, rather random-looking number (about 1/2 of the previous setting). A couple of the presets were not available, but after a restart at a gas stop, everything was back to normal.

Bizarre. I'm going to remove my cluster to make sure that there's not a problem with the power wire to the cluster. In the meantime I wanted to check in here to see whether anyone else has seen this problem and had any cause/fix experience to share.
I had this same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I was cursing up the freeway at about 70 MPH and the dash went blank then came back and ended up in the default state. I asked my dealer in Tucson, AZ and he had not heard of it. He checked the computers for any faults and nothing showed up.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had this same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I was cursing up the freeway at about 70 MPH and the dash went blank then came back and ended up in the default state. I asked my dealer in Tucson, AZ and he had not heard of it. He checked the computers for any faults and nothing showed up.
Thanks! It's somehow comforting to know mine is not the only one. :gm

I'm still planning on an update after I get the back of the cluster.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Time warp ? Maybe on the K1600 you only need to go 70 mph not 88 like in the Delorian. Are you sure you are even here or did you type this tomorrow? :lurk2:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok -- instrument cluster removed, and the wiring harness has been tugged/jostled/bent around aggressively.

No indication whatsoever of any fault in the wiring or connector -- the cluster stayed "on" during all the harness abuse.

The bike is back together, and I'm at the end of my diagnostic thoughts. I hate a mystery, but at this point I don't have any choice but to see if it ever happens again. :(

Still open to any suggestions/speculation!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ok -- instrument cluster removed, and the wiring harness has been tugged/jostled/bent around aggressively.

No indication whatsoever of any fault in the wiring or connector -- the cluster stayed "on" during all the harness abuse.

The bike is back together, and I'm at the end of my diagnostic thoughts. I hate a mystery, but at this point I don't have any choice but to see if it ever happens again. :(

Still open to any suggestions/speculation!
Software hiccup; instead of a blue screen, you got a black screen. They have a watchdog timer that triggers the reboot. Total guess, of course.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
One thing I did not mention is that during the trip I used the MultiController literally hundreds of times. The cluster re-boot occurred during a sequence of 2-3 rapid "select" pushes -- if it's not a power supply issue, maybe the firmware lost its mind and gave up!
Have you tried to duplicate the problem by working the Wonder Wheel like you were doing when it happened the first time?
Maybe got really close to finding the secret to resetting the Service light! :hide:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Have you tried to duplicate the problem by working the Wonder Wheel like you were doing when it happened the first time?
There are so many packets flying at the dashboard...speed, mileage, temps, tire pressure, fuel range....on and on...it'll probably never happen exactly that way again.

Assuming it's software, of course.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I believe this fellow is on the right track with an explanation of this problem.

Gremlore

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
In the PC world as long as it now works you have no right to an explanation of why it DID NOT work for a second or two. That's what I've been told, at least! :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts