BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very Worrying Experience!

Hi all,

Thought I would share with you all something that happened to me today which is very worrying, and one I will be on the phone to BMW about on Monday.

Firstly I ride a 2015 K1600 only around 3300 miles on the clock!

So I was riding around 70mph today and it was cold so I went to increase the heat on the grips as hands were getting cold. When I went to twist to increase the heat nothing happened... then the next thing I know the whole dash board went blank my MPH & Rev counter just went to zero, as if the bike had switched it self off.

Moment of panic kicks in thinking WTF, I did not try the throttle to see if the engine was still running and due to speed could not hear!

Then next thing the dash board springs back into life and is back to normal, well I thought it was normal. It turns out the bike had done a total reset and reverted my bike setup to stock!

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm very concerned more so because I did not have the chance to try the throttle so don't know if it happened on a bend or pulling out if I have any juice!

Thought I would report this to the forum, one to seek advice, two to see if anyone else has encountered!

:frown::frown::frown:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
not normal, is it a 2015, or a very late registered early model. someone should be able to point you to the recall page

·
Registered
549 Posts
I remember another post of a user who had a similar experience (last year or even longer ago). Seems to be very rare (haven't seen many posts in any english or german forum). It doesn't impact the engine, breaks or anything security related. Seems like a reset of the dashboard only.
Nevertheless, not a pleasant experience while riding...

·
Registered
18 Posts
2015 model and was very worrying, was going down hill around 70mph so had no need to try the throttle, thats my concern I don't know if I had any power. Will be on the phone to BMW on Monday.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cheers FP-NLD, that post is spot on to what happened to me, I was using the wheel at the time as well. Maybe going through it a little fast as well.... Something we need to watch out for then, but at least it seems this is not an isolated incident!!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
That's funny FP; when I clicked on the link you provided, it brought me right back here, to this thread!!! lol:)
That's really strange :confused:. When this thread started yesterday it was called "Very worrying experience!" and welsh_baron was the thread starter.
Now it seems to have been merged with the other thread started by Mark Neblett.
Administrator: what happened here ?????

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I wish more posts were actually compiled together, can be very confusing looking for the same thing many times with the answers already given elsewhere

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Sorry for bringing back a zombie thread... Been having issues with my 2015 GT for the last week. Started with speedo needle randomly jumping about. Then ABS & TC lights randomly flashing. Full dash going blank (Nav still on). Then it reboots after a bit (immediately to minutes later). Didn't notice if the settings reverted to default. This is a constant issue, for a couple hundred miles now, so it isn't an isolated incident. :(

Only engine issue it it seems to stutter a bit when I first start riding.

Also, Clearwater brake light started pulsating. Disconnected the CanSmart to ensure it wasn't the issue, but dash issue persisted.

Headed out to get it hooked up to my 911 and see what codes it shows

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Check your battery connections. Clean them if necessary.

Reactions: Yukon_Cornelius
21 - 32 of 32 Posts