BMW K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
The cable IS supplied by BMW, you just have to pay for it. The reason it is not included is because different phones have different connectors (mine is an iPhone so it's USBC to Lightning). Sounds like you need the usb-c to USB-c version.
It's a short cable with the phone charging plug set at right angles. As such the cable tucks into the compartment nicely. Before it arrived at my dealer I tried using a 1 m long apple USB-C Lightning cable coiled up and not surprisingly it doesn't fit in the space! Though it does charge ok.
I have found that I have just needed to modify my personal prep before riding off.
Arrive at bike and switch on ignition, load BMW app on phone with route if using a pre-prepared route. Switch on helmet. Put on your jacket, helmet etc By the time you've done this it is all connected up and ready to go. Connect phone to charging lead and insert in stowage. Ride off. The only slight hitch I have sometimes had is that my home wifi signal is quite strong outside my garage, so sometimes I have had to select it onto the correct wifi network for the bike before it will let go of the house wifi. I haven't had this problem when out and about elsewhere.
At riding breaks, switch off bike to buy coffee and leave your phone on the bike. When you come back to the bike switch on ignition and about 1 minute later it's all connected again. Added bonus is that as you don't have your phone in the coffee shop you actually talk to your wife instead of looking at your phone. These BMW engineers think of everything :cool:

The only slight hitch I have sometimes had is that my home wifi signal is quite strong outside my garage, so sometimes I have had to select it onto the correct wifi network for the bike before it will let go of the house wifi.
I experienced this problem when I tried the Connected app on a loan R1250RT. It was a royal PITA.
Added bonus is that as you don't have your phone in the coffee shop you actually talk to your wife instead of looking at your phone.
The corollary is that if, like many of us, you use your phone as a payment mechanism then your "money" isn't available when you need to pay the bill because you left it on your bike...

The cable IS supplied by BMW, you just have to pay for it. The reason it is not included is because different phones have different connectors (mine is an iPhone so it's USBC to Lightning). Sounds like you need the usb-c to USB-c version.
Has anyone a part number, my dealer can't find it, even if you have the lightning part number it would probably get them looking in the right direction

It's just a USB cable. For my Samsung, I ordered USB-C to USB-C of differing lengths and angles from Amazon to try different mounting options. I'm now mounting my phone to a Quadlock with the vibration and wireless charging options on a RAM mount. My Mo-Door is occupying the space in the dash.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
See the link to the cables on the BMW motorrad website here.

Reactions: st13phil
See the link to the cables on the BMW motorrad website here.
Why am I unsurprised that the Apple cable is twice the price of the others?

Why am I unsurprised that the Apple cable is twice the price of the others?
That's a great find, I'm amazed you've mastered the BMW website so well. Today I already bought this on amazon thinking it's what I needed
0.2M Right Angle USB C Extension Cable,90 Degree 10Gbps Type C 3.1 Gen2 Female to Male Extender Short Cord,4K 60Hz Video L-Shape Thunderbolt 3 Lead for MacBook Pro,Mac,iPad 8 Air 4 2020,Galaxy Tab A7 https://amzn.eu/d/6mxB0jS

I think the BMW one has a funny lean angle on the L. Shape. Amazon inc delivery is 10.

Apple stuff has to be MFId otherwise the phone won't do anything. Although the EU have pushed for a common Usb-c connector on all phones in the future to be more environmentally friendly

Got a perfect setup, velcroed my old cockpit bag to the top, found a flat male to male usb cable that gets the power outside of the compartment without breaking anything.

I plug the phone into my cable and put in the cockpit bag. I never plan to open that compartment except to hide anything illicit. 😁

Hood Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Shorts Automotive tire

I never plan to open that compartment except to hide anything illicit. 😁
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

As a side note, I did about 100 miles yesterday afternoon playing with the nav / media etc and the fan was roaring away in that compartment. When I stopped for a reccie and switched the bike off the fan ran on for about 5 minutes, its really noisy too. The phone was pretty warm by then :oops:

As a side note, I did about 100 miles yesterday afternoon playing with the nav / media etc and the fan was roaring away in that compartment. When I stopped for a reccie and switched the bike off the fan ran on for about 5 minutes, its really noisy too
I have the same fan noise, now I have no plans to use that compartment I might se if it's easy to disable but I suspect it's on the same power circuit as the USB socket..

The manual says;
In summer, do not place heat-sensitive items in the charging storage compartment.

Ventilation
To ensure adequate circulation of air, a fan is switched on if the temperature in the charging storage compartment rises above 30 °C. The fan switches off again as soon as the temperature inside the charging storage compartment is less than 25 °C

I have nothing in the storage compartment so why do they even turn the fan on?

As a side note, I did about 100 miles yesterday afternoon playing with the nav / media etc and the fan was roaring away in that compartment. When I stopped for a reccie and switched the bike off the fan ran on for about 5 minutes, its really noisy too. The phone was pretty warm by then :oops:
Yes, it was quite a genius idea to have a compartment on the top of the dash, in direct sunlight, and above both the oil cooler and main radiators. I mean, it can't possibly get hot up there, can it? :rolleyes:

Just for reference, this is what Apple have to say about the safe operating temperature range of the iPhone and the consequences of exceeding the maximum:

"Use iOS and iPadOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35ºC (32º to 95ºF).
Using an iOS or iPadOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.
Store your device where the temperature is between -20º and 45ºC (-4º to 113ºF). Don’t leave your device in your car because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.
iOS and iPadOS devices have built-in protections to prevent overheating. If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, your device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. Here are some of the higher ambient-temperature conditions and activities to avoid, because they may cause your device to change performance and behaviour:
  • Avoid using certain features in hot conditions or direct sunlight for an extended period of time, such as GPS tracking or navigation in a car, playing a graphics-intensive game or using augmented reality apps.
If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, charging slows or stops. If you're navigating, your device may show this alert and turn off the display: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down."

What could possibly go wrong? 🤦‍♂️

Full Apple text here:

The manual says;
In summer, do not place heat-sensitive items in the charging storage compartment.
A marvellous statement indeed - isn’t a phone a heat sensitive item!

] have nothing in the storage compartment so why do they even turn the fan on?
Yep, agreed. My fan was roaring away during my journey to work this morning and the phone was in my pocket :ROFLMAO:

In the saddle for most of the day riding through heavy Paris traffic in 38c/100f heat and then down to Dijon area. Had the phone in my cockpit bag, but with the bag zipped, finally no music or Nav and when I stopped, the phone said it shut down because it was overheating, good to know it had that feature.

Anyway, set off again but left my bag open and not a problem, worked all day playing music and telling me where to go as the temperature hit 40. The fan was on in that compartment every time I slowed down as was the engine cooling fan. But all in all I think the cockpit bag has saved the day especially as I have my credit cards there as well and my French tag for going through tolls without stopping

The new bike's fully loaded but doing a great job in tough weather.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Helmet

Now I have the first service indicator on, so won't do too many miles until the first service, which I booked today for Tuesday morning just outside Lyon.

Does anyone know how to set those favourite buttons, I'd like to switch between speakers and helmet without drilling through the menu. I held down the 1 button whilst on that menu option but nothing happened

Favorite buttons are in Settings, System Settings, Favorite Buttons

I'm curious how others are setting them. So far I've set the first two to Music and Nav.

I'm curious how others are setting them. So far I've set the first two to Music and Nav.
My current favourite button set up,
I - Navigation
2 - Music
3 - Heating
4 - Suspension

Reactions: RedCard
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.