BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I traded my 18 B in on a leftover 19 GT on the 2nd of this month. When I went in for the run in service, I asked for a copy of the work performed for the trans recall. A bit later, the service person came oven and told me the recall had not been performed there. He stated that the work was performed by BMW when the bike was at the main warehouse, that the bikes go to when they arrive, on the east coast. He produced this showing that.....It shows the recall done in May 2020, and the bike delivered to the dealer mid August 2020, where the bike was uncrated and the pdi was performed. I found it interesting....what say you

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I thought this was mentioned in the recall notice?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, never heard of it before, thats why I shared it. I assumed that if the recall was needed, that the dealer themselves would do it. I though...wow, that's interesting, but I guess, it is common?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is the same information my dealer told me in February when I purchased my GA. They (the local dealer) performed the service on my 2019 K1600B/GA as they had the bike in their position when the recall was issued. They also performed the service on a number of other K16s in their inventory and for customers.

But the dealer was unable to receive ANY additional K bikes until the distribution center performed the recall service. They had a number of customers waiting on bikes ordered but were unable to deliver them for months.

Good to see you have paperwork confirming your bike was properly serviced.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I bought a leftover '19 K1600GT early this summer, and I waited a few days after plunking down the $$$ for the dealer to do the transmission recall. They had the bike in their possession since Fall 2019, and did not perform the recall work until someone purchased the bike, and they couldn't deliver it until it was done. I got lucky and they got the parts the day after I bought it, and had the recall done a couple of days later (they sold a ton of bikes and had lots of PDIs to do).

FWIW...

·
Upside Down
1,363 Posts
It looks like your trans "fix" was performed. Do you have doubts?
Hmm, never heard of it before, thats why I shared it. I assumed that if the recall was needed, that the dealer themselves would do it. I though...wow, that's interesting, but I guess, it is common?
Normally the bike would have been done by BMW, here in Australia they were stuck with limited mechanics at BMW so be passed it onto the dealership and in some cases. BMW had dedicated dealers doing most of the recalls. Mine was still in the create from BMW shipped to my dealership once they aka BMW had a fix then had the dealership perform the recall. I would not be that concerned if I were you as long as the recall was done by a certified BMW mechanic or BMW did it their self. You should not have any issues and if you do it would be covered as part of the recall notice along with being recorded against your VIN number.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I haven't had mine done yet because of the oil leak issue being reported after the fix. I'll wait until BMW figures out the seal problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd to wait 10m for my 2020 K1600GTL with that same recall, the trans work was done in NJ. The guys in the shop contracted Covid 19, you can't make this s..t up. Now I can laugh about it but I was not happy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I haven't had mine done yet because of the oil leak issue being reported after the fix. I'll wait until BMW figures out the seal problem.
I'm totally with you! I haven't taken mine in yet either, I'll continue to enjoy the heck out of it and let them figure out all the pitfalls on the other bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts