BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New forum member here... I will be taking delivery of my 1st K1600GT this weekend and I'm already concerned about tipping it over. One of the 1st threads I read on this forum quickly turned into a discussion about how easy it is to drop these bikes and many forum members spoke of their drops.

I realize it's a heavy bike and low-speed maneuvering will be challenging... I have a fair amount of riding experience but mainly with lighter bikes (K1300S currently)... and I'm not as young and strong as I once was.

I guess I'm looking for some encouragement and positive comments... anyone?? :)

Charlie

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's all about technique, not how strong you are. Coming off a 1,000 lb Harley, with practice, u turns on a residential street or a parking lot were no problem, even easier on any BMW. Practice in an empty parking lot, turn your head and feel the bike come around. Start with wide turns, tighten up as you get more confident.

D Martin is right, once you get past that balance point, unless you're really strong, just get out of the way. Easier to fix a bike than a body.

·
Registered
475 Posts
New forum member here... I will be taking delivery of my 1st K1600GT this weekend and I'm already concerned about tipping it over. One of the 1st threads I read on this forum quickly turned into a discussion about how easy it is to drop these bikes and many forum members spoke of their drops.

I realize it's a heavy bike and low-speed maneuvering will be challenging... I have a fair amount of riding experience but mainly with lighter bikes (K1300S currently)... and I'm not as young and strong as I once was.

I guess I'm looking for some encouragement and positive comments... anyone?? :)

Charlie
I love the 3 tone color on those.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NO, it is not inevitable. it's all up to you and the situations you find yourself in.

Now

In 3 years of ownership of my R1150RT, I dropped her three times - at gas station with a very hilly driveway, in a greval parking lot where the kickstand sunk into the ground and making a u-turn on a dead-end street with a hill.

In 6 years of ownership of my K1200LT, I dropped her two times - so I'm getting much better ;)

In 4 month of owership of my K1600BGA, I have not dropper her once - and don't plan to (but then again, you never plan to).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Inevitable? No. Likely? Yes. As has been said, once this big girl tips so far, there's no keeping her up. Well, unless you're Andre the Giant, then maybe.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You ride a K bike and although they are much different, they are also very similar. The weight of the K16 is different and as the guys above said, if it gets past the point of no return, you'll rupture a disc trying to keep it upright. I've only had one scare and caught it before it went thankfully.
Don't be scared of the bike or you'll certainly have problems. Practice a lot, you're going to love this bike.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Agree with @Vandaldog ...not inevitable, but K16 is very likely to have a no speed or low speed nap. It happens. I would not leave dealership without protection bars when I purchased my GT.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Example....... You are at a stop pulling out ,turning to the right..... The light changes and you start the turn....Some idiot speeds thru and you have to hit the brake or them..... you break while bike is over the point of no return in the turn...... THE BIKE WILL HIT THE GROUND...... But, it would have done the same with any other bike... The bike does nothing different than any other bike would have done,period...... If you drop it,.... pick it up , brush it off and then get back on it and enjoy the rest of your ride..... Thing are going to happen..... Deal with the situation and go on..... You will be fine..... and if not, I will give you $78 dollars for the bike......

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Three K1600s in row, never dropped one. Close to it, yes a few times due to a lack of focus and /or situational awareness. Most dangerous situation I had in the Alps with narrow uphill right hand hairpins and a bus coming downhill. You have to stop somehow at the most unsuitable spot.....Had I looked early enough uphill into the turn I wouldn't have been in such hairy situations. Other than that the usual problems with gravel right under your foot and such. Just don't be a hero and hold the bike while gravity is doing its job, get your leg out of the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Practice slow turns and U-turns in an empty parking lot until you get real comfortable with your balance & control - there are other posts on this. Play it conservative - don't push a maneuver in the 'hope' you'll make it - if ever you don't feel comfortable, straighten up and stop / put you foot down, then congratulate yourself for being smart and not dropping it. Last, when initiating a right turn from a stop, double-check you're in 1st gear before moving out.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts