BMW K1600 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Charlie, You said you have been riding for years, so you won't have too many if any issues with the K1600`s in fact it is so well balanced, even at low speeds, easy to do U-turns and drop into fast sweeping corners. Enjoy as we know you're going to love the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I've had a K1600 since 2016. The first one got knocked over once while parked (not by me, by another vehicle while it was parked) and later was totaled when I hit a deer (but didn't go down). There was minimal damage. The replacement, which I've had since 2017, hasn't been dropped by me. It was, apparently dropped when it was at the dealer at some point according to some notes in the service record.

Crossing my fingers I keep my no-drop streak going. I really don't want to pick it up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
A bit of advice:

1. Don't try putting it on the main stand with wet slippers.(2012 K16GT)
2. Don't try a tight turn (left or right) when moving from standstill and the camber of the road is against you. (2015 K16GT Sport).
3. Don't park beside a mate who forgets to put down his side stand (2017 K16GT Sport, only 4 weeks old).
4. Don't park it on its side stand pointing downhill unless you are 100% sure it is in gear and the camber of the road works for you (2017 K16GT Sport).

If all you ever do is drop it from standstill, be very, very thankful.
Just remember money heals plastic and chrome bits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Charlie, You said you have been riding for years, so you won't have too many if any issues with the K1600`s in fact it is so well balanced, even at low speeds, easy to do U-turns and drop into fast sweeping corners. Enjoy as we know you're going to love the bike.
Thanks, Geoff... that's encouraging! I'll be heading up into Utah and Colorado in two weeks, and I'm sure I'm going to love the bike!

Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
It happens more that one might think and even at the dealerships when they are rolling them in and out and around their showrooms.

When I was looking at Bs, a dealer had a brand new one (<100 miles) that they bought from a guy who said he couldn't handle the weight and had dropped it in his driveway and had to call AAA to pick it up. Damage to the tupperware only and the pics they sent showed just some scratches that could be easily fixed. It was a great price so I was ready to go buy it when the dealer called me and said they dropped it again while wheeling it out of the showroom. He sent me pictures and he did not see any additional damage. I thought about it a day or so, called them back and got a different salesman who told me it looked like they dropped it again as there was damage on both sides of the bike! I wanted no part of that bike! Not that I am superstitious or anything.;)

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
New forum member here... I will be taking delivery of my 1st K1600GT this weekend and I'm already concerned about tipping it over.
I have been riding K1600 GTLs since 2012. Had a 2012 until June 2018 when I bought the 2018 GTL. Never dropped either one, and I am in my sixties. For 20 years prior to the GTLs I had RTs. I did drop A 2005RT at a motel in Tenn once. I was so tired after many hours in the saddle, that I got off the bike and forgot to deploy the sidestand. People who drop their bike multiple times are simply not paying attention, and maybe they should stick to 4 wheels.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
NOT LIKELY. I am a mid sixties guy who is 160 pounds and have never dropped my GTL in 8 years.
I have to believe you're the exception to the rule. Jinx! Jinx! I hope to heII you knocked on wood as you typed that! ;)

Reactions: Geoff_3 and Scott R

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
There are a lot of good points throughout this thread and trying to understand them all will go a long way towards preventing a drop with this heavy bike. I only have about 4200 miles on my GTL at this point and have fortunately not had it go over on me thus far...but I have had a couple of cases where I certainly felt that weight and would certainly agree that once it reaches the angle of no return, it is going down. I have tried to be particularly wary of what I am doing when at low to no speeds...they can feel quite nimble once they get going, but as others have said, slippery ground, uneven surfaces...watch out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd say the weight is manageable if you are riding solo. Add a passenger, with or without luggage, and the bike becomes even more top heavy than it already is. The point of no return (angle of lean) comes quite rapidly. I haven't dropped mine but had 3 near misses where I only managed to hold it because I am strong enough (core and legs, can easily dead-lift 300 lbs). It is to the point that one of the main reasons for me exercising is to be strong enough to handle the "titanic", as I call her.
So to avoid tragedy I am always extra alert and plan my stops, maneuvers and take offs, especially on off camber, wet, painted, or if there is gravel or sand on the road. Once wheels start turning, all the weight disappears...

61 - 80 of 134 Posts