BMW K1600 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dropped my 2018 GTL 2 weeks ago trying to make a u-turn in a location I thought I could manage (Apparently not) Lost momentum half way thru turn and problem was I was perpendicular across a sloping road and went down heavy on the low side.
I too was guilty of the "make a tight u-turn on a downslope" sin many years ago on my RT. What made it worse was that we were 2-up. It's amazing how results can be so predictable. ;)

My next BMW was an LT that I dropped a few times believing the kick stand was down. It was the old adage that by the time you realize what's happening, it's too late. Those experiences have etched into my brain that I don't do u-turns on slopes, and to always stare down at my feet when I come to a stop. These techniques have served me well during my GTL ownership in that I've been able to keep the bike upright (knock on wood).

I'm sure there will probably be situations in the future that test the bike balancing gods. Given that I avoid riding in anything loose (sand/gravel) as much as possible, hopefully all will remain good. But I am tempted to get guards for the front and back. You just never know.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
That is an ignorant thing to say.

Bikes go down for many reasons beside not paying attention.

1/ turning slowly with the need to slow down fast
2/ feet slipping
3/ being tired and forgetting to put down side stand
4/ putting your foot down in a place that is not good like a pot hole
5/ soft gravel
6/ going slow and hitting a rut
I stand by what i said, and it was directed to those few people who claimed dropping was "inevitable", and to those few klutzes who think dropping a bike "multiple times" is normal. so don't call me ignorant. You are the one with a reading deficiency.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
That is an ignorant thing to say.

Bikes go down for many reasons beside not paying attention.
I've been riding large street bikes for 41 years now. I have never, ever had one tip over on me. I remember two very close calls, one was bad judgement and the other would have been a freak accident. Both were many years ago on my previous bike, a Honda ST1300.

This is restating the obvious, but in addition to not paying adequate attention to the situation when deciding where/when to put your foot down, ride height, rider height, and bike weight/COG are all contributing factors to the risk of tipover. I'm 5'11".

The GTL does feel a bit more tippy to me than anything else I've ridden. My ST never felt tippy. I've rented a couple of Gold Wings and they never felt tippy. The feeling I get on the K1600 makes me hyper-vigilant about where I stop. Which is fine.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I stand by what i said, and it was directed to those few people who claimed dropping was "inevitable", and to those few klutzes who think dropping a bike "multiple times" is normal. so don't call me ignorant. You are the one with a reading deficiency.
While I agree that most drops are avoidable, there, most definitely, are those that are beyond one's control.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
43 Posts
These things are heavy SOBs and certain situations just happen and dropping can happen. I don’t find “normal” slow speed situations too challenging. It’s when you add incline/decline of the terrain, pebbles on the ground etc. to the slow speed turning situation when things can happen.

That’s exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. Ugghhh... **** happens. And that’s why one of the first things I bought for my bike were rear crash bars. Money well spent. Bike had engine guards already.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
While I agree that most drops are avoidable, there, most definitely, are those that are beyond one's control.
I agree with you so much, I dropped into mates place for coffee, and trying to get away was out of my control lol. Never again, so you correct some drops that are out of one's control:cool:😭:unsure:.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I managed to drop my 2018 GA a while ago. Looking back there are a few things I did that contributed to or even caused the fall to happen. I was in a fine gravel parking lot pointing away from the street on a very slight slope. I had my 12 year old grandson with me and we both mounted up and I let gravity coast us backwards towards the road but only made it about halfway before the slope petered out. I attempted to move forward and turn the bike at the same time in a fairly confined space and the results were predictable. At the point just when I felt the bike was about to go down I considered giving it some power to keep it up and that may well have saved it but I decided to accept the almost zero speed drop instead of risking more damage with a moving drop. Both my grandson and I escaped unscathed, my pride excepted, and I enlisted the help of a big fellow watching us in getting the bike back up. Riding off sheepishly I imagined the people who witnessed my ineptitude feeling bad for my grandson and the apparent danger he was in. 69 years old, been riding since I was 17, learned from this and still have lots to learn.

·
Registered
195 Posts
New forum member here... I will be taking delivery of my 1st K1600GT this weekend and I'm already concerned about tipping it over. One of the 1st threads I read on this forum quickly turned into a discussion about how easy it is to drop these bikes and many forum members spoke of their drops.

I realize it's a heavy bike and low-speed maneuvering will be challenging... I have a fair amount of riding experience but mainly with lighter bikes (K1300S currently)... and I'm not as young and strong as I once was.

I guess I'm looking for some encouragement and positive comments... anyone?? :)

Charlie
New forum member here... I will be taking delivery of my 1st K1600GT this weekend and I'm already concerned about tipping it over. One of the 1st threads I read on this forum quickly turned into a discussion about how easy it is to drop these bikes and many forum members spoke of their drops.

I realize it's a heavy bike and low-speed maneuvering will be challenging... I have a fair amount of riding experience but mainly with lighter bikes (K1300S currently)... and I'm not as young and strong as I once was.

Charlie

The bike is not that heavy, compared to HD's, GW, etc, but her weight is high and off the center line between the wheels. This will more rapidly tilt the bike, then other heavier weight bikes. The seats also restrict your legs to the ground, unless you're built like a Clydesdale. So, I am one of those riders that rarely puts his feet down, i ride it, always even real slow, and I am comfortable with it. Once she tilts, give a little power and she'll will straighten up. This bike handles better then the rest, but it does not suffer fools, bad rider skills will payback. This is not a newbee's bike. And definitely get used to the throttle before defaulting to dynamic mode, and definitely polish up on your clutch feathering if you're not innately used to it. Don't let vanity get the better of you. The rest is a piece of cake, if you pay her the respect she deserves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, it is a heavy bike with a high center of gravity. However, it is not inevitable that you will drop it. I dropped three low center of gravity Harley's over the years, but never have dropped my GTL. Go figure.......
Overall, tthe bike is extremely well balanced and only feels heavy at a full stop. Slow speed has not been an issue.
That being said, once you it gets to the tipping point, you are not going to save it. Just get out of the way. Invest in a set of Illium Works crash bars front and rear and all will be good in case you do drop it. That will be WAY cheaper than fixing painted parts on any 1600 model.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
These bikes are extremely light compared to a HD Ultra. Practice slow turns in the parking lot or other safe area, get accustomed to your new bike. If you are new to touring bikes start without the top case it will help with center gravity. Even better find you an advanced rider class for the weekend. (For most advanced rider classes here in Texas we use our own bikes) you will be surprised how many bad habits we form over the years.

Relax and have fun!!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
What Virginia Tech learned about how and why we crash our motorcycles - RevZilla

"here's one of the less dramatic findings...we drop our bikes a lot. Or at least the riders in the study did. More than half the crashes were incidents some riders wouldn't define as a crash ...a case where the "vehicle falls coincident with low or no speed...not caused by another outside factor. ...The study finds "These low-speed 'crashes' appear to be relatively typical among everyday riding," but they are incidents that would never be included in a different kind of study of motorcycle crashes. The cameras, however, capture it all, even our mundane but embarrassing moments."

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Come to Australia we ride upside down here down under. ****, even our buildings and roads are upside down , :cool:;):unsure:but we still ride on the correct side of the roads lol.
IMG_0090.jpeg

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I hope to, one day!
If you do remember to let me know Love to catch up and share our wonderful country with nice people. Even if it is just to have coffee or an upside-down cake with it lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Charlie
I found my HD was harder to handle at slow speed than the 1600 GA. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam so not sure if long legs help?

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts

Charlie
Dropping , Well if your careful it shouldn't happen - I always lower my Kickstand first , Standing on th e kickstand side , I raise the bike on my Center stand . I also go once a week to the flea market parking lot to practice low speed turns, figure 8's * circles . As long as you apply power the bike will not fall ... Take the BMW riders course , beat money I invested in my Bike - I dropped my Harley once - On a diesel covered gas station pad , It was more like a slow slide down, Never dropped the GTL

·
Registered
1 Posts

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
It is a heavy bike but very well balanced once it is in motion. I am 5”7 and also concerned about dropping it. When rolling it in low speed I have my both legs down. Doesn’t look good but who cares. Same issue with my VMAX. It is doable once you get used to it. You can do it.
Best of luck

101 - 120 of 134 Posts