BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can possibly borrow a front stand for a couple of days while I take the front wheel in for new tyre. But would still like to hear it if there's a clever way to remove the front wheel by using just the centre stand.

With other bikes fitted with a centre stand, I can place a box of brick on the pillion seat to get the front wheel up. This trick is not possible with the K.

·
Scammer Hammer
2,789 Posts
Yes, you can.

With the bike on the centre stand carefully jack the bike from the front beneath the engine. Even better would be to have someone push down on the back of the bike at the same time.

Normally I use the front wheel lift and then use the jack to hold up the bike. Be careful with how you do this.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
With other bikes fitted with a centre stand, I can place a box of brick on the pillion seat to get the front wheel up. This trick is not possible with the K.
Sure it is. You just have to use more bricks.
Before I got my Pit-Bull lift, I used a couple of bags of water softener salt on the rear rack to lift the front up. After the wheel is off, I placed a milk box under the forks and removed one bag of salt, (or whatever) and let the bike rest until I got the tire installed. Installation is the reverse. I posted a video of this on YouTube.

Joe

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Mr.Fix It
7,431 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is how I do it as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Texas Thorn
2,383 Posts
Just like @Gunnert said. However, I take a strap and hook front center stand to engine guard to prevent the stand from folding up accidentally.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just like @Gunnert said. However, I take a strap and hook front center stand to engine guard to prevent the stand from folding up accidentally.
Pics would be helpful for all.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Sure it is. You just have to use more bricks.
Before I got my Pit-Bull lift, I used a couple of bags of water softener salt on the rear rack to lift the front up. After the wheel is off, I placed a milk box under the forks and removed one bag of salt, (or whatever) and let the bike rest until I got the tire installed. Installation is the reverse. I posted a video of this on YouTube.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
If you don't want to purchase a front wheel lift or scissor jack and you have some wood working skills you can make this. I've used mine dozens of times with great success.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I purchased a PitBull fork stand. It's pretty simple and solid that way. When I removed the front wheel only and left the rear installed, I placed a 3/4" piece of lumber under the center stand to yield ample room to lift the front end and ensuring the back tire did not contact the ground and cause the center stand to retract. And next time I do it I'll place a separate piece of 3/4" lumber under the rear tire before trying to lift the bike on center stand with the 3/4" under it. I assume that's what it's like for B and GA owners.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I purchased a PitBull fork stand. It's pretty simple and solid that way. When I removed the front wheel only and left the rear installed, I placed a 3/4" piece of lumber under the center stand to yield ample room to lift the front end and ensuring the back tire did not contact the ground and cause the center stand to retract. And next time I do it I'll place a separate piece of 3/4" lumber under the rear tire before trying to lift the bike on center stand with the 3/4" under it. I assume that's what it's like for B and GA owners.
It's reports like yours that steered me to buying the PitBull version intended for the B which has the capability of setting lower than the standard version.
I've set it to give only about a 1/4" clearance to ground on the front wheel with ample clearance on the rear wheel allowing both wheels to be removed without the need for lumber under the center stand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, very good information on this page. Will see how things go.

Does your front tyre wear quicker than the rear? Dealer says it's normal due to the telelever design.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,431 Posts
@lui Nope, usually rear tire wears out a bit sooner for me. A lot variables, there no set “which” wears first.

Duane

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Does your front tyre wear quicker than the rear? Dealer says it's normal due to the telelever design.
I find that by the time the rear tire's ready to swap out, the front one is close to gone, too. I always change them out as a pair.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
From me, it's almost 2 front to 1 rear, that's how fast the front wears. Consistently around 9,000km. The rear can last over 15,000km. An Angel GT once lasted 18,000km.

My experience on other bikes is the reverse, 1 front to 2 rear. Probably common for most people.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From me, it's almost 2 front to 1 rear, that's how fast the front wears. Consistently around 9,000km. The rear can last over 15,000km. An Angel GT once lasted 18,000km.

My experience on other bikes is the reverse, 1 front to 2 rear. Probably common for most people.
You are the first I've heard of where the front wears out before the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I find that by the time the rear tire's ready to swap out, the front one is close to gone, too. I always change them out as a pair.
Same.

Reactions: Vandaldog

·
Registered
165 Posts
On my LT the rear would last almost as long a 2 fronts. On my GA, the front lasted 5k miles, and the rear had about 1-2k miles left, but I changed them both out as I had a trip planned. But as others have said, it all depends on the tires you use, your riding style and the roads you ride on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. I use engine brake a lot, probably contributed to front tyre wear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts