BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Haha, I don't know then. Rear tyre is consistent with other bikes, just the front wears much faster than usual.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,575 Posts
Engine braking wears the rear tire, not the front.

Duane

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think the jack under engine is a good one, I have a hydraulic trolley jack should be plenty to hold the bike. Any specific spot for support? Perhaps a piece of timber as cushion?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is the oil pan (lowest point of the engine) sturdy enough to push with the scissor lift or jack? I need to remove the front wheel and I thought I use the center stand technique (I don’t have a front lift).

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Is the oil pan (lowest point of the engine) sturdy enough to push with the scissor lift or jack? I need to remove the front wheel and I thought I use the center stand technique (I don’t have a front lift).
I actually lift at the engine bars, and put a jack stand under those, avoiding the engine completely.

If you dont have engine bars (you should!) then make sure you use a piece of wood to spread the load, it isnt much weight you are lifting..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Yeah, car stand/support at the engine bar is also good, it's more towards the front, supports both sides, and relatively cheap, will looking into this. It's probably better than a front wheel stand as it gets into the way when you try to work on the wheel.

I guess an easier workflow is to remove the fender and un-torque the required bolts/axle while the front wheel is still on the ground?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,575 Posts
The easiest, most convenient/most secure way to raise front end is with a scissor jack.

Duane

Reactions: Voodles and coyotek

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Small stand in front. Did this when I got my last set of Michelin’s on my ST1300. I probably do the same on my K1600
F9911578-46FD-4471-BBA4-E3FB96A7BD43.jpeg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks EyeGuy and JoeP for the illustration, that helps a lot.

Just took a look at the bottom. Do you aim for area A, B, or C?

I think A is plastic, B has the protruding sump bolt, C is the sump.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Earlier I have mentioned that the front tyre wears faster than the rear, it's actually one side of the tyre, possibly due to road surface curvature (we drive on the left).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I run a ratchet strap over the top center of the rear tire (in gear) and hook onto either edge of my lift. Cranking down on the tire lifts the front. A little concerned about that much negative pressure on the rear suspension though. Anyone know of any reason that would be harmful?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts