BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 GTL/Exclusive is giving me some issues with the OEM dash mount for the NAV V. Recently while riding the GPS will tell me that has been dismounted and tries to shutdown. From what I see the GPS is flush against the mount. I've used some DW40 on the connectors and used a soft toothbrush on the connectors on both the GPS and the mount. The second problem I'm having is that the GPS will not release from the mount, and the little side button that releases the unit seems to be getting stuck. Eventually it will release the NAV V. If I remount it, the GPS functions normally for a bit, but after a hitting a few bumps on the road the GPS gives me another disconnects message.

Any ideas on what's going on would be appreciated. Did you have this issue and how you fixed it? Information on how to fix it myself would be appreciated
BTW, the NAV V works fine in the car mount, which is why I removed it from the bike.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
You're on the right track. Could be either dirty or bent contacts.
Try contact cleaner and a toothbrush.

joe

·
Mr.Fix It
7,824 Posts
At least annually I clean the contacts with electronic spray and lube slide/release mechanism with silicone spray.

Duane

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a pink eraser to the contacts, then isopropyl.
Crap you're 100% right, I completely forgot about this method of cleaning contacts.

I wonder if Johnny Walker Blue will work as a substitute?

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I didn't have any isopropol alcohol and after using the scotch I really couldn't see much of a difference, after drinking a few more shots of the scotch I really didn't care.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After following the advise above and all joking aside (or was it?) I can say that a short ride yesterdy didn't have any of the disconnects that I had previously. After spraying the heck out of the mount and working the mechanism while doing so that it is moderately improved, but still not smooth as it was previously. I'm going to continue with working the mechanism some more and see if I can figure out what's going on. Any other advise would be appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts