BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning a trip to Spain and Portugal from Hamburg in July August where we pick up our K1600 that’s on ice at the moment. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. My wife and I are both Australian and we would love some company some of the way. Accommodation tips and routes to travel would be very helpful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are in Portugal, do the Picos mountains, fantastic roads and scenery!

I suspect that if you are travelling from Hamburg you will not be taking a route over the Pyrenees, Andorra etc into Spain but that is also a fantastic area to ride with lovely scenery and roads.

Have fun! (y)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi and welcome.

My first advice is that unless you enjoy being roasted, avoid Spain and Portugal in July / August. Late August / early September is a much more pleasant proposition in my experience.

There are a few threads regarding past trips in the UK Riders forum, in particular this one Spain / Portugal Tour 2019 and this one Our First K1600 Tour: Spain which may give you some ideas regarding itinerary, routes and accommodation. Some of the UK riders are planning a trip to the Picos in September, so if your schedule is flexible you may be able to hook up with them? Details are here PICOS 2020 - Book your ferry now

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good suggestions above, and yes, it's hot in July/August, I done it last year the first week in October and it was far more civilised. I'm in France later this year, probably June or September, I'll wait and see how the weather is and how it fits with other events. Stick to the mountainous areas or you will just be clocking up miles from A to B, but I realise this has to be done on occasions to make headway, but head for Andorra, then turn right and head or the Pico's as above, then South into Portugal, you can pick a similar but alternative rout on the way back.

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up, we live in BATHURST NSW Australia and love to escape the ice and snow in winter but it looks like a change of plans and Scandinavia or UK are now on our itinerary. We planning a 3 month trip and didn’t enjoy the heat in Italy last year so Spain and Portugal can wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts