BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been tinkering with the idea of a luggage rack for my B that will accomodate the OEM top cases so these past few months I have been tinkering with a plan.

I have almost finished it and thought I would post a few photos - Just need to wait for some warmer weather to paint.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started by buying just the shorter side brackets from @Tanner here on the forum ($190).

Then I purchased a used OEM luggage rack that came off of a K1200GT from eBay ($58).

I then bought a piece of 3/8" x 12 x 12 aluminum plate from Amazon ($30).

Made a cardboard template for the plate to nest inside the luggage rack.

Cut the aluminum plate to match the template.

Fitted everything, clamped & located mounting holes.

Drilled holes to side brackets and plate.

TIG welded plate inside the rack.

Will post more pics when I get it all painted, installed and looking purdy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Had some warm weather the past week or so and got it painted and installed. Here are final pics.

I painted it for now but may pull it off next winter and get it powder coated for a more durable finish.

I had reservations about how rigid the side brackets would be with a big top box to support but there is absolutely no movement whatsoever - it is extremely rigid. I never run with a passenger, but I have no doubt that this would provide safe support. The weakest link is probably the plastic passenger grab rails area where they attach to the side brackets - Will have to keep an eye on that (watch for cracks).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I had uploaded some pictures with the top cases on the rack but I can't find that post so here they are if anyone wants to see the final result.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WillH, who is the manufacturer of the riders‘s backrest?
Utopia - https://www.utpr.com/

Here is the thread when I installed it:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like it... Think that all regular Bs should come this way (or at least have a rack like this available as an option).

Maybe combine it with highway pegs and call it a "Touring Pack" or some such.

- RightD

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Does the B have any stability issues with the large BMW top case, say above 110mph?

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the B have any stability issues with the large BMW top case, say above 110mph?
No issues up to the mid 80s. Doubt I will ever see triple digit speeds so not an issue for me even if it did cause some instability at those speeds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts