BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post !
Just got some interesting info at my dealer while getting my first oil change on my 2 week old 2013 GTL this morning.
Haven't seen it posted anywhere so here goes.
When I picked up the bike I remembered I hadn't asked about the left pull I do have not bad but its there & the techs answer to me was quite surprising. He said ALL the k1600's have it cause the tires on the bike don't track :eek:. He said it has something to do with the front suspension (He couldn't or wouldn't give a detailed explanation of what in the suspension caused this or how far its out) and this is what causes pull & uneven tire wear (cupping). All he did say is keep a close eye on your tire pressure.
Haven't been able to verify yet cause its a 2 person job to hold strait edge & measure to the front tire but I am quite surprised that a 26k bike would be made this way
Anyway just thought I would pass the info along :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Funny you mention that, mine has a slight pull to the left that I noticed on my trip. I assumed that it was because I had the left bag loaded much heavier than the right bag, had to put quite a bit of pressure on the right peg to track straight. Will have to give it a try with the bike unloaded.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well should have figured it was already in the forum
Did a search & must not have looked far enough in the results
Oh Well
Mod if you want - delete this

·
Registered
256 Posts
My left pull is not severe but it is certainly annoying. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said all bikes pull - some right, some left. Well this is my first BMW, but I can tell you that exactly none of my previous HDs pulled in any direction.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Blueeyedme, I never had a Harley not track straight either. Nor a Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Triumph. In fact, this is the only bike I have ever owned that I couldn't ride free-handed, including numerous dirt bikes.

A couple of years ago, when I took it in for the 600 mile service, I mentioned the pull to the left when I set the cruise and tried to let go of the handlebars. The service tech told me he asked BMW about it and they said "The bike is not meant to be ridden free-handed." I can't really argue with that, but it still bugs me a little.

Old habits die hard. I don't typically ride free-handed, but I've always done it periodically as a sort of maintenance check on the tires, suspension, alignment etc. of all my vehicles, both two and four wheeled. I've just had to accept that I can't do that on this one...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wonder if the shaft drive plays any role in how it tracks? I know all chain drive bikes are on the same side, but it is a single sided swing arm with a shaft. Just a thought.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The single-sided swingarm probably has some small amount of flex under power. Enough to create a little pull to the left??

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The single-sided swingarm probably has some small amount of flex under power. Enough to create a little pull to the left??
If that were true, all bikes would pull. Many have bikes that don't pull. This theory does not hold water. Besides, alot of BMW bikes have the same drive and they don't pull either. My K1200GT did not pull either. RTs I have ridden didn't pull.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
If this was the case wouldn't it pull to the right under deceleration?

Also this is my 4th Beemer and ALL of them have tracked straight, including my GTL. And they all have/had the Paralever rear suspension.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
This is the first of 10 motorcycles I have owned that I cannot ride free handed. Bike before this was '96 R1100RTL with shaft drive and it rode straight and true.

I've had Kaw, Suz, HD, Honda and the 2 BMW. K16 is the first to have this issue.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My third K series BMW, all have been straight tracking. The bike tracks so well I can do bends on the highway hands free with only slight weight shifts Current record before boredom kicked back in again, is just over 10km with no hands on the bars. You couldn't do that with something pulling left.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good discussion Thanks for the replies
Ive had this on previous bikes but usually I could correct it leaning a little but the only thing I've found that straitens this one out is a slight pressure on the right side of the handle bars which doesn't make sense.
I know this has been discussed at length but it just bugs me a little that BMW is letting this go as ok on their top of the line bike
So till there is a fix found or I get things apart enough to see whats going on I'll have to keep my hands on the bars & enjoy riding whats left of summer here in Ohio

·
Registered
626 Posts
Good discussion Thanks for the replies
Ive had this on previous bikes but usually I could correct it leaning a little but the only thing I've found that straitens this one out is a slight pressure on the right side of the handle bars which doesn't make sense.
I know this has been discussed at length but it just bugs me a little that BMW is letting this go as ok on their top of the line bike
So till there is a fix found or I get things apart enough to see whats going on I'll have to keep my hands on the bars & enjoy riding whats left of summer here in Ohio
Go back to post #4. Read through, and you will find a fix. There were many reports from different people claiming that the pull went after changing tires. Didn't happen on mine though. On my bike, which pulls, there is an offset. BMW says that it is within the limits. To those wondering if the driveshaft has something to do with the pull, I conclude that it doesn't. This because if you accelerate the bike to say 80 km/h, put the gearbox in neutral, let the bike roll, and let go of the bars, the bike still pulls left.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
This is a thread on how Mark (mneblett) corrected the pull to the left problem. Excellent thread and this is how my local dealer has corrected the problem on a couple of bikes. They do not do it under warranty as BMW has stated that it is not recommended to ride no handed. Gotta love the response by BMW :( Not!
Take note that after this procedure to correct the pull to the left, the handle bars will be off center. How much off center will depend on how much correction is needed.

Good luck to you if you choose to correct the problem.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
As promised, I did a little test today.

My pull is now gone.

New PR3's have taken my bike from a left pull which took all 160lbs on my right peg to almost solve to perfectly neutral.

BMW installation issue?
Bad batch of rubber?

Who knows.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
My bike, built in October 2011, never pulled with the original Bridgestones and hasn't pulled with the PR3s. I can ride down the road with the cruise control on and my hands in my lap for miles with just little weight shifts to keep correct it. I guess my point is that they're not all made with poor alignment and tires made no difference.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great info but Im still left with a dilemma

Till I get enough measurements (which isnt easy) I dont know how far My bike is out and if it needs alignment or a more forgiving set of tires

Im guessing the tire fix like KurtB above is the profile + tread pattern on different brands of tires may fix or mask the left pull depending on how bad it may be.
Had a honda valkyrie stock tires were dunlop if I remember correctly bike handled OK put metzlers on it & the handling went seriously to **** next set of avons & the bike handled like a dream totaly different bike with just a tire change.

In my mind there are still to many variables.

The people on this forum have done some excellent mechanical / engineering but for ME I need some of the variables whittled down

PS Pitts your a luck person hope yours keeps running strait

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Just a little tidbit for you to mull, scout.

If the forks are accidentally twisted while installing the front tire, a pull will result.

Have you had the front wheel off ever?

A possible simple fix provided the tires aren't worn too unevenly.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts