BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone posted pics for changing the Air Filter on the GA? Are there any additional pieces that need to be removed to access the air filter? Just was quoted $615 to do a 12K service which included a boat load of labor to check the air filter and replaced if required. Why you would do all that labor and then not replace it is beyond me?

Reactions: Scott Titensor

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot -this picture is very helpful! Man, you are tearing up the miles... I thought I had a lot of miles at 12K in almost a years time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just be carefull with the center cover, the one around the fuel nozzle.
You have keyless and there is the sensor and the wires to that cover.
Enjoy bricos!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up! I will use caution when removing the center cover.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yep there are sensitive things in odd places all over this bike, I would re-iterate something I've mentioned before. Use the right tools and don't use a power driver. Verify threads by hand before proceeding with tightening and don't be overly aggressive with tightening.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Grand America and most likely the B are different than the other bikes. The side panels are attached by two or more screws. It appears you have to take off a lot more of the side panels to get to these screws. You also have to cut two wire ties that a wire is attached to the center panel.( the one that goes around the gas tank outlet). If anyone has done the air filter on the GA, please let me know. For now I am going to put the bike back together as I have to go the BMWMOA Getaway in Orange Beach, AL this Thursday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need some help from anyone that has changed the Airfilter on the B or GA?

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
The Grand America and most likely the B are different than the other bikes. The side panels are attached by two or more screws. It appears you have to take off a lot more of the side panels to get to these screws. You also have to cut two wire ties that a wire is attached to the center panel.( the one that goes around the gas tank outlet). If anyone has done the air filter on the GA, please let me know. For now I am going to put the bike back together as I have to go the BMWMOA Getaway in Orange Beach, AL this Thursday.
Don't understand this post - the B and GA should be similar, if not identical, to the GT/GTL with respect to changing the air filter.

Someone (@Snowboy?) fairly recently posted a link to the download of the B service manual which should have details on how to access the air filter.

·
Scammer Hammer
2,760 Posts
That sounds like my '18 GTL. I think it is because of the keyless ignition which means the earlier keyless bikes will be the same.

It took me a bit to figure it out but the centre panel can be wiggled out of the way allowing access to the air filter housing. I didn't have to cut any wire ties. I had mine out to check the air filter 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, it is definitely different as I changed one on a 2016 GTL. The have secured the two side panels with more fasteners? I will see if I can find the link to the B service manual.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Snowboy! This is really helpful and proves that the "B" is different than the K1600 GT/GTL in regards to changing the air filter. ( I see the two wires that I had to clip). The "B" is also different than the GA version as the GA has the USB connections in the back of the bike, so I will have to work through that difference. Well, now that I am back from the BMW MOA getaway that was held in Orange Beach, AL it is time to get to work. The bike ran flawlessly as expected, I did keep the speed down as I was two up and did not want to get slapped in the back of the helmet.

Thanks again for this link!

·
Registered
586 Posts
No problem

The B has the USB in the right panier. If you need a GA specific diagram, let me know, I will check the "GA package" before producing the PDF

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you could produce the one for the GA package that would be appreciated, as I am not quite sure how to remove that side of the bike. Again, thanks for you assistance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to remove the large right side panel to get the two screws. The one with the B on it. Here is a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again, I may give it a go this afternoon! I will report back so the others with GA's will know what it takes to change the air filter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts