BMW K1600 Forum banner

K 1600 Grand America Air Filter Change?

14K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Muhamed bmw 
#1 ·
Has anyone posted pics for changing the Air Filter on the GA? Are there any additional pieces that need to be removed to access the air filter? Just was quoted $615 to do a 12K service which included a boat load of labor to check the air filter and replaced if required. Why you would do all that labor and then not replace it is beyond me?

Reactions: Scott Titensor
#3 ·
Thanks a lot -this picture is very helpful! Man, you are tearing up the miles... I thought I had a lot of miles at 12K in almost a years time.

#7 · (Edited)
The Grand America and most likely the B are different than the other bikes. The side panels are attached by two or more screws. It appears you have to take off a lot more of the side panels to get to these screws. You also have to cut two wire ties that a wire is attached to the center panel.( the one that goes around the gas tank outlet). If anyone has done the air filter on the GA, please let me know. For now I am going to put the bike back together as I have to go the BMWMOA Getaway in Orange Beach, AL this Thursday.

#9 ·
Don't understand this post - the B and GA should be similar, if not identical, to the GT/GTL with respect to changing the air filter.

Someone (@Snowboy?) fairly recently posted a link to the download of the B service manual which should have details on how to access the air filter.

#12 ·
Thanks, it is definitely different as I changed one on a 2016 GTL. The have secured the two side panels with more fasteners? I will see if I can find the link to the B service manual.

#14 ·
Thank you Snowboy! This is really helpful and proves that the "B" is different than the K1600 GT/GTL in regards to changing the air filter. ( I see the two wires that I had to clip). The "B" is also different than the GA version as the GA has the USB connections in the back of the bike, so I will have to work through that difference. Well, now that I am back from the BMW MOA getaway that was held in Orange Beach, AL it is time to get to work. The bike ran flawlessly as expected, I did keep the speed down as I was two up and did not want to get slapped in the back of the helmet.

Thanks again for this link!

#16 ·
If you could produce the one for the GA package that would be appreciated, as I am not quite sure how to remove that side of the bike. Again, thanks for you assistance!

#20 ·
Thanks again, I may give it a go this afternoon! I will report back so the others with GA's will know what it takes to change the air filter.

#21 ·
Okay, I have finally changed out the air filter on the GA. I can now somewhat understand the labor charges from the dealer. If you have some time and patience this job is not bad, with a few challenges that I will outline so hopefully the forum members can avoid.

The little pop rivets under the swing out air flow vent is diffultcult to get out

I destroy one of the pop rivets and slightly scuffed the bike up under the air vent

I ended up with two extra small standard screws which are located somewhere under the 3 main upper panels, I will take the bike back apart at some point to put them back in. Do not make this mistake, this is the first time I've done this! :frown:

Are there any suggestions on what I should do for the missing pop rivet under the air vent? The manual says there is a tool to get them out in the future? I would like to see the tool as this is one small fastener! ( Picture of the empty hole attached )

Please see the attached pictures and let me know if I can help someone out that is looking to do this job.

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks for the information, I could not even see that there was a center pin until it came out, even though the manual showed it that way. Normally, you have to pull the pin up and then pull the fastener out.

#26 ·
My guess is because we like all the crap the K bike comes with. So there's ten pounds of sh!t in a 5 pound box. I think the engineering to get ALL the components in a sporty good looking package is pretty awesome actually, then to top it off they had to fit that 6 cylinder engine in there we all love so much.

I'm sure they could have made the air filter easier to replace, I'm not so sure it would look good.:grin:

Reactions: Topsarge
#29 ·
I will be curious when the next time it comes to removing those fasteners, if I will be able to get them out. I believe the best bet is to do what snowboy suggested and just knock the pin all the way down and out and have a couple spares on hand. I ordered some up for the one I destroyed and for the next time I have to remove that panel.

#30 ·
A small punch or a small toro or Phillips head screwdriver is all you need to depress the center pin. Once you do, these fasteners are simple. Yamaha love to use them on their bikes.

#31 ·
Well luckily, the two screws I left out were on the middle gas tank cover, so it took me about 10 minutes to pull off 4 parts and put them back in. The two small fasteners under the pull out air vents are out for delivery today. I will be back in business this afternoon, not that any of these would have stopped me from using the bike. Thanks again for all of the inputs on this post and please let me know if I can help any of the GA owners with the air filter change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.