BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help my buddy with his GA. He went to ride the bike to breakfast the other morning and the bike was dead. Checked the battery and it was down to 12%, so he put a charger on the battery and brought it back up to 100%, but we can't get the bike to turn on. Tried both of his key fobs and the emergency plastic key, and still nothing. I pulled his battery to put in my GTL to make sure it's still not a battery issue, but wanted to check his fuses while I was in there. All I can find is the main fuse. Does the GA have smaller fuses for the ignition system and ECM? My '18 GTL has a couple smaller fuses for these items.

My buddy had planned on leaving on a 4 day ride this morning on the GA. He is seriously bummed by this, but has a FJR as a backup bike. So while he is ridding, I'm trouble shooting. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two so that if I have a issue while traveling I'll know where to start.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
what is non standard that is fitted to the bike,

12% of a 12v gel battery has to be around 2 volts.

Has he been playing with auto arming alarm which should kill circuits

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The manual for the 2018 shows only one 40 amp main fuse and two 7.5 amp fuses for the audio and central locking system respectively.

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
Is the fob battery dead?

If the bikes battery was that low its either DOA or he has something connected to it causing a drain.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Are you troubleshooting now? And are you under any strain to hurry (because this may take a while)? I'd agree to troubleshoot the loss by removing circuit breakers one at a time until the circuit which is draining the battery is found. How comfortable are you with electronics?

My very first instinct is to float any (and all) bike modifications. To float is to remove them electronically (by fuse for example).

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I plan to remove all electrical extras to start and then add then back individually to see which one is the culprit. The first problem though is getting the bike to come back on. All fob batteries were removed, cleaned, and checked.

No rush at this time and if I can't figure it out it will get loaded on a trailer and taken to the dealer. Issue is that dealer is 130 miles away.

This is more of me learning how the systems work for future emergency trouble shooting. The mechanic/engineer in me wants to know how things work.

I'm very comfortable with electronics and mechanical items.

The bike at this time doesn't respond to any inputs. Normally if a key fob is dead are not present you will get the little red light when activating the main power button on the bike. We get nothing.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Priceless!

I have a good friend who's a dentist. We used to get together for a weekly chess match and, one time, he kept going on about a patient who had an issue with his "vermilion border." It finally dawned on me what he was talking about and I asked him, "Are you referring to his lip?" He answered in the affirmative, to which I replied, "Then just say LIP, @sshole!"

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So an update, his battery started my GTL with no issues. I went back to his bike and unhooked his Clearwater canbus interface. I then hooked his battery back up. Pulled main fuse and measured draw from battery. It showed 0.06A. This would not have killed the battery in 3 days. Either way still no response from the bike via key fob or handle bar switches.

The bike is still under warranty, so I guess I will help him load it in the trailer when he gets home.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
can you toggle the alarm ?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
What made me buy a GS-911 was the fact that I watched a video about a BMW K bike that went dead like that. They hooked up the GS-911 cleared the codes and all was good the bike started.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What made me buy a GS-911 was the fact that I watched a video about a BMW K bike that went dead like that. They hooked up the GS-911 cleared the codes and all was good the bike started.
The ignition has to be on for the GS-911 to interface with the Control Modules. We can't get that far.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Me, I would A. disconnect the battery for a while, then reconnect. B. remove the ECU, then reattach. C. drink more tequila. Even better have it towed.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My drink of choice is Bourbon, and I tried the battery disconnect, then Bourbon, then reconnect, then Bourbon, and then said "F" it. We'll take it to the dealer.

When I earned a living as a mechanic I hated following somebody who thought they knew what they were doing when trying to fix a problem. This usually create a lot of other problems that had nothing to do with the original problem, but had to be fixed anyway. Also good luck getting paid for fixing these owner created issues.

It's under warranty so I quit after the simple fixes didn't work. I'll learn from the mechanic what went wrong.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
My drink of choice is Bourbon, and I tried the battery disconnect, then Bourbon, then reconnect, then Bourbon, and then said "F" it. We'll take it to the dealer.

When I earned a living as a mechanic I hated following somebody who thought they knew what they were doing when trying to fix a problem. This usually create a lot of other problems that had nothing to do with the original problem, but had to be fixed anyway. Also good luck getting paid for fixing these owner created issues.

It's under warranty so I quit after the simple fixes didn't work. I'll learn from the mechanic what went wrong.
What was the outcome?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sounds like a dealer job to me. Maybe the fob was left close to the bike, maybe a magnet has corrupted the key, maybe the alarm/immobiliser has intervened. Whatever, I can't see how there will be a DIY solution without accessing the ECU at dealer level.

Sorry; I hope I am wrong - talk to the not so local dealer & seek their support. Did they supply the bike?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Physically disconnect the battery and then reconnect make sure when it's hooked back up battery is a full charge

·
Registered
711 Posts
Physically disconnect the battery and then reconnect make sure when it's hooked back up battery is a full charge
I thought the OP had done that already, swapped batteries between the problem GA & his own GTL, without success. Something is shutting him out, but what?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts