BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I thought the OP had done that already, swapped batteries between the problem GA & his own GTL, without success. Something is shutting him out, but what?
Yes I did. The bike is at the dealer now and they have no clue. They can't even pull a trouble code. I'm kind of wondering if this isn't a extreme case of the ECM connector issue.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
There have been a few reports about corrosion on the ECU connectors let us know what they discover.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So here's an update on the bike. Dealer replaced whole ignition system per mothership. BIKE STILL DEAD. Pulled and check ECM connections. Found to be good. BIKE STILL DEAD. Took a ECM out of another B and installed it. BIKE STILL DEAD. Put ECM from GA in B and the B ran. Mothership now whats voltage readings for every connector on the bike.

Before some of you chatter about ECM's not being swappable, Mothership has a way to do this.

And the saga continues........

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
So here's an update on the bike. Dealer replaced whole ignition system per mothership. BIKE STILL DEAD. Pulled and check ECM connections. Found to be good. BIKE STILL DEAD. Took a ECM out of another B and installed it. BIKE STILL DEAD. Put ECM from GA in B and the B ran. Mothership now whats voltage readings for every connector on the bike.

Before some of you chatter about ECM's not being swappable, Mothership has a way to do this.

And the saga continues........

Sent using Tapatalk
Man! That's a drag and quite a pain. I hope you're restored soon.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, so I mis-spoke. They didn't swap ECM, they swap the DME which from my understanding is the brains of the Can-bus system.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
BIKE IS ALIVE......

So the last instructions from the mothership to the mechanic was to take voltage readings at EVERY connection in the wiring harness. While doing this the mechanic noticed that there were 2 fuses showing on the schematic that he couldn't find. So he went looking for them. They were buried under the battery box. When the mechanic retrieved them the issue became instantly clear, both fuses had heavy corrosion, as did the fuse block. One of those fuses is for the alarm and central locking system. Mechanic was pissed as these fuses where never mentioned by the Mothership during troubleshooting or during his training. New fuse box was installed with new fuses and all is well.

On my GTL this fuse box is right next to the battery and the main fuse. I looked all over for this fuse box on the GA during the intial troubleshooting. Never found it. Guess it was where it shouldn't have been.

So as a public service message to all B and GA owners, make sure you can find this fuse box and check the condition of it.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Before some of you chatter about ECM's not being swappable, Mothership has a way to do this
ECM's must be swappable as they are assembled into the bike on the production line. The firmware may be specific, but that is easily changed. Thank you for following through on this.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
BIKE IS ALIVE......

So the last instructions from the mothership to the mechanic was to take voltage readings at EVERY connection in the wiring harness. While doing this the mechanic noticed that there were 2 fuses showing on the schematic that he couldn't find. So he went looking for them. They were buried under the battery box. When the mechanic retrieved them the issue became instantly clear, both fuses had heavy corrosion, as did the fuse block. One of those fuses is for the alarm and central locking system. Mechanic was pissed as these fuses where never mentioned by the Mothership during troubleshooting or during his training. New fuse box was installed with new fuses and all is well.

On my GTL this fuse box is right next to the battery and the main fuse. I looked all over for this fuse box on the GA during the intial troubleshooting. Never found it. Guess it was where it shouldn't have been.

So as a public service message to all B and GA owners, make sure you can find this fuse box and check the condition of it.

Sent using Tapatalk
I went to the garage and serviced mine after reading this. I carry a complete set of fuses in my on-board tool kit (two 7.5 and one 40 amp), but until now I never bothered to look for the location whenever I removed the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats on the resurrection. The fault the mechanic found is quite disturbing. Any idea why that fuse box would get so corroded? The bike isn't that old. Any chance the battery leaked onto it?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Good that the mechanic had access to a schematic to show what voltages should be present and where

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Congrats on the resurrection. The fault the mechanic found is quite disturbing. Any idea why that fuse box would get so corroded? The bike isn't that old. Any chance the battery leaked onto it?
That's what my buddy asked also. The mechanic seemed to think that it was a bad connector from the start.

Sent using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts