BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I loved the GTL, it was just getting too heavy to move around parking lots, the driveway and garage. I had purchased a 2009 GSA in May of 2020 and rode that 95% of the time. Since I wasn't giving the GTL its due, I traded it and the '09 GSA for a '17 GSA with only 20K miles on the clock. Haven't put a ton of miles on it yet, but what I have done, I've been very happy. I'm also enjoying the extra room in the garage.

This is the best motorcycle forum on the internet. Just because I don't have a K1600 anymore, doesn't mean I'll be a stranger.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes that 2017. 1200gs is a great bike,

I guess I will say now that I had a great week of riding in California but someone on a Arizona freeway hit me and now I am sore with broken collar bone and ribs, and very lucky to have had a helmet on and gear.

Hopefully you enjoy the GS and I will get another one soon

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Scammer Hammer
3,050 Posts

I guess I will say now that I had a great week of riding in California but someone on a Arizona freeway hit me and now I am sore with broken collar bone and ribs, and very lucky to have had a helmet on and gear.

Oh no Charlie! That is terrible news to hear.

For OP, keep in touch and best wishes on the new bike.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ouch!! Heal quickly. I'm afraid with a collar bone, your riding season may be over before it really began. Very sorry to hear this news.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Sorry to hear you got whacked Charlie. Sounds like you're on the mend though.
Nigel how does the GSA compare after an all-day ride?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

Wow. Sorry Charlie. It would have been great to do some riding together while you were in California, but I guess the timing didn't work out. Glad it's not worse. Take care and get better soon.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wow. Sorry Charlie. It would have been great to do some riding together while you were in California, but I guess the timing didn't work out. Glad it's not worse. Take care and get better soon.
Yes believe me I'd rather be riding in California than here sore and broken, my back is so sore. My great bike can and will be replaced but I did love the bike
Hopefully I can get back riding soon as possible

The crazy is I really don't have much recollection of what happened, just laying on the road with the EMT riding to the er

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a 2018 GS and it quickly became my go to bike for the majority of rides while my 2016 K16GTLE stayed parked. The K16 is the best bike in its class and there was never a day when I rode it I didn't enjoy the ride but as I've got a little older with a little more joint pain in my ankles moving the K16 around in close quarters started to become more of a challenge. I totaled my K16 last October after striking a deer so I will not be replacing it with another K16.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
@cboothe Charlie, WTFFF?
Where did this all happen?
Heal fast, send me a note...

Reactions: cboothe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your accident. Glad to hear you are doing reasonably well, under the circumstances.

Reactions: cboothe

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a GTL and loved the power & smoothness, it had some issues too but mostly too heavy. Ended up with a 2016 GSA and loved it, put 150K miles on it and replaced it with a 2020 GSA.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I traded that same bike in against my 17+ GT. There is no going back to a GSA - I've owned two of those, a 2006 and a 2017.
If reliability turns out to be a persistent issue with my K16, I will take a hard look at an RT.
But, hey, whatever makes you happy - just ride the **** thing, and enjoy it, it's the only thing that really matters! :)

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
As much as I loved the GTL, it was just getting too heavy to move around parking lots, the driveway and garage. I had purchased a 2009 GSA in May of 2020 and rode that 95% of the time. Since I wasn't giving the GTL its due, I traded it and the '09 GSA for a '17 GSA with only 20K miles on the clock. Haven't put a ton of miles on it yet, but what I have done, I've been very happy. I'm also enjoying the extra room in the garage.

This is the best motorcycle forum on the internet. Just because I don't have a K1600 anymore, doesn't mean I'll be a stranger.

View attachment 151041 View attachment 151042
Hi Nigel,

Am just going down the same route with a trade in on my 18 GTL for a new GSA. Have a test ride next week though, unless that's a disaster, I've pretty well made up my mind. Enjoy and stay safe.....Tony

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I had a GTL and loved the power & smoothness, it had some issues too but mostly too heavy. Ended up with a 2016 GSA and loved it, put 150K miles on it and replaced it with a 2020 GSA.
Wow, lots of miles. Am just about to do the same in May with a new GSA TE Triple Black on order. Any tips on must have extra's, luggage, tall screens, highway pegs etc etc.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

The crazy is I really don't have much recollection of what happened, just laying on the road with the EMT riding to the er
That's pretty typical, even if you weren't ever unconscious. I used to be a paramedic. People would often ask "What happened?" over and over on the way to the ER, not remembering the accident or what I had just told them 30 seconds ago.

I'm glad you are recovering.

Reactions: TarkusNY

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a 2009 GS. Really liked the ride most of the time. Great around town, not bad on the highway. But as most of my trips turned into highway trips and the vibrations on the GS started to put my right hand to sleep, I moved over to a GTL. The smooth engine, weather protection and stability just fit how I ride. But yeah, it's so heavy.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nigel how does the GSA compare after an all-day ride?
Had a nice little shakedown ride of about 230 miles on Easter Saturday. Rode up through the Woodfords Canyon to Lake Tahoe to my brother’s house. Then over Echo Summit on US 50 to Shingle Springs so he could do a quick repair to his travel trailer that is stored there. From there, to CA 49 and lunch in Jackson and CA 88 back home to Gardnerville.

The bike performed flawlessly. I am mindful that I have to pay closer attention to what gear I’m in as this bike does not have the same abilities as the GTL as far as twisting the throttle in any gear to get the desired results. I don’t speed as much as I used to, so I don’t miss the 35 HP (160-125), that I had on the GTL. This is a very capable bike to get up and go.

The stock seat is actually very comfortable and the only reason I found myself standing on the pegs was to stretch my legs. The original owner of the bike had lowered the foot pegs which causes me to adjust my left foot a little bit to shift. I did try the shift assist, both upshifts and down shifts, and I don’t see any advantage for normal riding conditions. 50 years of using the clutch handle is ingrained into my riding.

In parking lots and at slow speeds, it’s very nimble and light. The main reason for getting it. All in all, I made the right choice and am very happy with it.

Glamour shot!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts