BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a dilemma as my circumstances have changed due to the current way of the world and I need to reign it in. Absolutely gutted, but I may have to let my K16GT go.

I have a R1250GSA (19 model) that I own and a K1600GT (19 model) on finance. I can't see many Euro trips happening this year and maybe next, which is what I mainly use the K16 for, and it is just sitting in the garage devaluing and costing me money, and I am thinking of just giving it back and keeping the GSA.

I have had K16GTs since 2012, and this is my 6th one and I hate to let it go, but finances say I must. :confused:

My other option is to sell the GSA and buy the K16 outright, but in the long term I think the GSA may be cheaper to run?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
I sympathise with your dilemma. If your financial situation dictates then you have to act, but - as you probably already appreciate - in the current climate you're going to take a bath on getting rid of either bike.

Whatever you decide to do will be right for you and your circumstances. Hope it all works out for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
I would part with the GSA. I’ve had both, for me in a 1 bike garage the k16 GT reigns supreme. Daily commute, weekend trips, trans-continental tours. The GSA would be a solid 2nd bike (taking over some commmuting and warm weather short trips). I couldn’t live with the GSA as the only bike (weather protection and noise were the main issues, for me) , I am really happy with my K16 as THE bike! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I sympathise. I have the exact same two bikes as you.

The GSA may be cheaper to run, but not appreciably so in the grand scheme of things. I'd prefer to keep the K1600, but the GSA is just so damned versatile.

Toss a coin to see which one to keep, if you don't like the answer, or you say "best out of three" keep the other one and trust your subconscious mind.

Joe
 

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
While I know the K1600 would be MY "one bike," the great thing about motorcycles is they'll make more, and if you did decide to keep the GSA, it's at least possible the K16s could be redone in a few years, and you could have one of the newer, hotter bikes.

Alternatively, even if it's killed off, the used values will likely go down slightly, and you might be able to score more of a deal than now.

No matter what you choose to do, @K1600Belco, I hope it all works out for the best for you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nazdravanul

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I'm sorry for your situation, but I don't think you should worry about running costs as they are going to be so similar over time, and things change also, so I'd look at which one you enjoy the most, the financial difference will not be that much between them compared to selling the one you prefer by mistake.

James
 

·
Flying Dutchman
Joined
·
58 Posts
I feel for your dilemma, but I guess the GSA would be easier to sell at a better price now? Everybody (well, most people) want a GSA, the K has a much smaller fan club...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
I am in a dilemma as my circumstances have changed due to the current way of the world and I need to reign it in. Absolutely gutted, but I may have to let my K16GT go.

I have a R1250GSA (19 model) that I own and a K1600GT (19 model) on finance. I can't see many Euro trips happening this year and maybe next, which is what I mainly use the K16 for, and it is just sitting in the garage devaluing and costing me money, and I am thinking of just giving it back and keeping the GSA.

I have had K16GTs since 2012, and this is my 6th one and I hate to let it go, but finances say I must. :confused:

My other option is to sell the GSA and buy the K16 outright, but in the long term I think the GSA may be cheaper to run?
It is a difficult decision - I don’t know what the GSA is like but I think whatever you do you are likely to get a 7th K16 in the future - everything is temporary so do what you feel you have to do now - at least whatever happens you will have a bike to ride
Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after some hard deliberations, I am keeping the GT. Going to get rid of the GSA instead. GT for when I am out wife the wife, and getting an XR triple black for when I am out on my own.

will free up a little cash and keep me afloat, and keep my GT 😊
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top