BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 K1600GTL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a 2016 K1600 with 40k km on the clock. There is a noise on the engine which worries me .
Sounds almost like one tappet making a noise or something.
This will be my first K1600 , thus I do not know these engines and do not know if it is normal / acceptable?
Always had R1200RT bikes.

I uploaded video at
, it is the clack clack clack sound in front of the engine which worries me.

Bike was standing for long. Oil level is normal.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,725 Posts
@pietpetoors , when in doubt do NOT buy. I always recommend having a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPL) done before buying a used vehicle, car or motorcycle. In the past I tell the seller where I want the PPL done. I tell him if there's nothing wrong, I'll pay for the PPL. If there's something wrong then he pays.

Duane

Reactions: Dean Doucette

·
Registered
2012 K1600GT
2,120 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust leak.

Joe

Reactions: Weebem

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am about to buy a 2016 K1600 with 40k km on the clock. There is a noise on the engine which worries me .
This will be my first K1600 , thus I do not know these engines and do not know if it is normal / acceptable?

I uploaded video at

Not normal.

I'd say it sound like a loose timing belt, but the K1600 uses chains. It's something metallic to me, due the hard acoustic signature. Exhaust leaks have a softer accustic signature and are continuous like a wind instrument. There is some drumming going on in this thing. Forget it, repairs are expensive, and there are lots of prime bikes available.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a similar thread a week ago about a guy thinking of buying a 1200 or 1600 that had problems? Are bikes without problems that hard to find...good luck if you pull the trigger on a "challenged" bike.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sounds serious to me, almost like a big end, but I guess it could be just running on 5.

Whatever - walk away & look elsewhere.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Either keep looking or get the seller to agree to a pre-purchase inspection as Gunnert indicated. Final price should be reduced by the repair amount. That's if you even want to deal with it. There are no tappets on these bikes as they are overhead cam design. I agree with the others that it does not sound like a simple exhaust leak. I won't speculate on what it is, but I will offer that the repair is likely not cheap. These bikes are expensive to have worked on and are not the easiest to work on for the home mechanic. At least repairs like this could be are not easily handled in a home garage.

I would keep looking if it were me.

Zach

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Sounds like push rod about to explode.
Errr...rather, connecting rod

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
pietpetoors has abandoned his one and only thread - maybe he didn't hear what he wanted hear in this thread and now he's too busy tearing the engine apart.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts

I uploaded video at

Ask the owner to verify the required engine service. At 40K, it should have had two valve checks, but at least one valve check service at 18K.
I had a similar rattling noise, but not as loud, when I brought my 2018 Grand America in for the 18K valve check last Fall. The Dealer said the valves were fine, but the cam chain needed adjustment. I’ve got 20K now and no noise after the service. If the bike doesn’t burn oil, and the required engine maintenance wasn’t ever done, tell the owner to deduct about $1K from the selling price so you can have a dealer do the required engine service. Chances are he’ll say no in which case just walk away.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,314 Posts
Ask the owner to verify the required engine service. At 40K, it should have had two valve checks, but at least one valve check service at 18K.
I had a similar rattling noise, but not as loud, when I brought my 2018 Grand America in for the 18K valve check last Fall. The Dealer said the valves were fine, but the cam chain needed adjustment. I’ve got 20K now and no noise after the service. If the bike doesn’t burn oil, and the required engine maintenance wasn’t ever done, tell the owner to deduct about $1K from the selling price so you can have a dealer do the required engine service. Chances are he’ll say no in which case just walk away.
Don't you think that's a high risk gamble considering it could be something other than the timing chain tensioner?

"the cam chain needed adjustment" - I don't recall seeing a timing chain 'adjuster' on the K1600 - do you have more info on this adjustment?

·
Mr.Fix It
8,725 Posts
@18GrandAm , the cam chain tensioner on the K motor is not adjustable...

Duane

1 - 17 of 17 Posts