BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Down at Racee in North Kingsport RI getting the oil changed and checking the codes. Russ the service manager said the magic words. Will get you in at 9. Sign on the door says they open at 10. Nice folks. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Got a look at the radiator fan set up. There is almost no space behind the radiator for anything.

The fan is down at the bottom. It looks like about 2/3 of the radiator is working without benefit of the fan. So what I think is going on is hot air rises. 98'f with no wind on black top in stop and go is really hot air rises more.

Hypothesis:. So what is going on is the fan is running but the hot air is pushing up and forward because it can. There is not enough positive pressure from relative wind (either through forward motion or ambient wind) to force cool air through the top of the radiator.

So hot air from fan and exhaust manifold is running forward through the top of the radiator and preheating the engine coolant.

I will attempt to solve the problem by installing two large computer fans on the front top of the radiator and wire them to come on when the fan comes on. They will insure that cool air is crossing the radiator at all times.

Then i will test on I285 in Atlanta this summer and let you know how it goes in similar conditions.

I can't believe I'm having to farkel a reliability issue again. With my old R65 it was daily life. I had hoped I would not have to do similar things with this bike.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
I will attempt to solve the problem by installing two large computer fans on the front top of the radiator and wire them to come on when the fan comes on. They will insure that cool air is crossing the radiator at all times.
Touch base with Gunnert. He added extra fans to his radiator this past winter. I'm pretty sure they are waterproof type. I "think" he posted some pictures in a thread here.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Touch base with Gunnert. He added extra fans to his radiator this past winter. I'm pretty sure they are waterproof type. I "think" he posted some pictures in a thread here.
He was playing with adding them to the oil cooler, IIRC.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I will probably add two small fans to the back of the back of the oil cooler as well. I have these on some old BSA's because melting the cylinder skirt of a piston to the cylinder barrel in Atlanta traffic is Bad, very Bad.

Gunnert - how did you wire in the fans to the canbus? Are they wired to come on when the main cooling fan comes on?

paging Gunnert...:geek:

Khawk - Noice. looks pretty long. How far down does it extend from the existing fender?

·
Mr.Fix It
8,102 Posts
I will probably add two small fans to the back of the back of the oil cooler as well. I have these on some old BSA's because melting the cylinder skirt of a piston to the cylinder barrel in Atlanta traffic is Bad, very Bad.

Gunnert - how did you wire in the fans to the canbus? Are they wired to come on when the main cooling fan comes on?

Khawk - Noice. looks pretty long. How far down does it extend from the existing fender?
Here you go.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I really doubt that has anything to do with it. If the coolant is moving slower, it exits the radiator with a larger temperature drop compared to what it was when it entered. It if were moving twice as fast, the exiting coolant would only be half as cooled. The system's overall heat removal capacity is the same.
If it is moving slower it is retaining the heat on hotter engine surfaces longer where the temp sensor is.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Got a look at the radiator fan set up. There is almost no space behind the radiator for anything.

The fan is down at the bottom. It looks like about 2/3 of the radiator is working without benefit of the fan. So what I think is going on is hot air rises. 98'f with no wind on black top in stop and go is really hot air rises more.

Hypothesis:. So what is going on is the fan is running but the hot air is pushing up and forward because it can. There is not enough positive pressure from relative wind (either through forward motion or ambient wind) to force cool air through the top of the radiator.

So hot air from fan and exhaust manifold is running forward through the top of the radiator and preheating the engine coolant.

Then i will test on I285 in Atlanta this summer and let you know how it goes in similar conditions.

I can't believe I'm having to farkel a reliability issue again. With my old R65 it was daily life. I had hoped I would not have to do similar things with this bike.
Install the fans on the bottom so it sucks the hot air out from behind the radiator down and out of the engine compartment. Since nature abhors a vacuum, the air blown out will be sucked in from behind the radiator and from the outside of the radiator. It helps the cooling fan. Could very well be that a hot bubble is created behind and top of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
If it is moving slower it is retaining the heat on hotter engine surfaces longer where the temp sensor is.
And it is also cooling the fluid in the radiator longer, removing more heat while it is there such that it gets to a lower point before it exits, meaning the fluid going back into the engine is cooler. It is a wash.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Should be in the mail today. However, they've stated that it extends 14cm beyond the existing fender. I'll measure it when it comes in.

·
Registered
403 Posts
And it is also cooling the fluid in the radiator longer, removing more heat while it is there such that it gets to a lower point before it exits, meaning the fluid going back into the engine is cooler. It is a wash.
And that's the point, the rate of heat accumulation is larger then the rate of coolant flow. Yes, the longer duration of the coolant in the radiator results in more cooling, but it stays there if the flow is low, and that is not where the coolant temp is measured. Low flow, accelerated heat creation at the hot spot where the coolant temp is taken triggers these warnings. As all reports indicate, it is not a true overheating issue, just something temporary.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well this morning I was in Providence RI. Tonight I'm in Shady Valley TN. The bike did really well. I95 in Connecticut from New Haven to the NY boarder was horrible stop and go as was Manhatten and the George Washington Bridge. The ambient morning temp never exceeded 80'f. So the most I saw was 8 bars. I did nothing special other than ride the wheels off. So 10 degrees ambient per bar of radiator temp. Very un-scientific...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've read a bunch of threads. I'm on the road far from home (Georgia) in Boston on business. It was 98 degrees in stop and go traffic when i learned about the K1600GT new design feature: i got the Red Triangle and an overheat indication. What surprise. So I immediately pulled off the highway and parked the bike into the wind in a shady spot about 4 miles from my destination...not how I planned to end my day.

So it was 98 degrees and it was stop and go.
but this is my reliable bike and it has been nothing but lizard brain fun all the way from Georgia up through Ashville up I81 to Pennsylvania till I got to that stop and go on I95 in the heat.

If I can stand the heat then so should my bike.

The crazy thing is when I parked I could hear the fan running. So I put down the kickstand and killed the bike with the power on and the fan quit. But as soon as I started the bike the fan ran again and the bike cooled off. When I started the bike again it didnt want to turn over on the first cylinder it was on. It didn't spin with its usual aplomb on the nearly new PC680.

So WTF is going on here? Why is my bike overheating?

I read that the computer will shut off electrical stuff when things get hot. Don't tell me the fan is one of those things?!!!?

I will check the oil in the morning.

The end of the story is I took secondary roads to my destination and the bike stayed cool.
Unfortunately, you’ve encountered one of the many design flaws of this bike. I won’t ride mine anymore when I know I’ll encounter start and stop traffic over 85°.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
And that's the point, the rate of heat accumulation is larger then the rate of coolant flow. Yes, the longer duration of the coolant in the radiator results in more cooling, but it stays there if the flow is low, and that is not where the coolant temp is measured. Low flow, accelerated heat creation at the hot spot where the coolant temp is taken triggers these warnings. As all reports indicate, it is not a true overheating issue, just something temporary.
If the incoming fluid is cooler, the ultimate top temperature at the hottest spot will be the same. The longer time of heat accumulation is directly offset by the longer time of heat dissipation. Total heat in and total heat out are not changed by the rate of flow as long as there is more than a minimum flow. The issue is lack of sufficient surface area on the radiator. No amount of faster coolant flow will fix that.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,102 Posts
Design flaws? Will someone, anyone, please refer me to ONE report of a damaged motor due to overheating?

Duane

Reactions: capav8r

·
Scammer Hammer
3,250 Posts
Design flaws? Will someone, anyone, please refer me to ONE report of a damaged motor due to overheating?

Duane
The red light going on seems to be a safe guard to say "do something soon before the bad happens".

We have not heard of any engine failures because of the red light coming on.

I have to admit when that red light comes on and stays on it scares me.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts