BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I've not used the one you mention. I use a BMW branded (I'm pretty sure it is at least) right angle plug that fits the powerlet. It has a short cord affixed which I run up the handlebars and at the end of it it has two USB outlets, each with a rubber stopper for weatherization. I power my bar mounted phone from it and on occasion my GoPro mounted on the windshield. I've been happy with it for 3+ years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone tried or using this USB replacement dual power outlet on a K1600?
That one is a direct replacement for the GS/GSA. I put one on my GSA and it works perfectly. For the K16, there are much cheaper options to go with. I’ll be swapping out the stock power port next weekend with a dual USB outlet I got for $12 off Amazon.

·
Bubonic
1,319 Posts
I will testify that if you buy a cheap one it will break. I've learned my lesson with two of them. The next one I purchase will be more quality and probably more money.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 K1600 GT
73 Posts
Wunderlich:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Wunderlich:

If installing that Wunderlich in a 2012, would I be able to charge a phone with the ignition off? Or is there no power to that socket after shutdown?

I‘ve never used the existing DIN socket in 8 years, so I have no idea how power feeds it.

·
Scammer Hammer
3,746 Posts
If installing that Wunderlich in a 2012, would I be able to charge a phone with the ignition off? Or is there no power to that socket after shutdown?

I‘ve never used the existing DIN socket in 8 years, so I have no idea how power feeds it.
Using the DIN wiring means you are using a circuit managed by the ECU. It will shut the circuit down.

I dunno how battery chargers fool the ECU to keep the circuit open.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It depends on the power draw. Higher power draw seems to keep the socket live after the bike is turned off whereas a lower power draw allows the socket to shut down after about 30 seconds.

E.g. if you have discharged satnav or phone plugged in, power will remain live until the device is fully charged.

Joe

·
Scammer Hammer
3,746 Posts

·
Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
82 Posts
That one is a direct replacement for the GS/GSA. I put one on my GSA and it works perfectly. For the K16, there are much cheaper options to go with. I’ll be swapping out the stock power port next weekend with a dual USB outlet I got for $12 off Amazon.
HDConvert, do you have a part number for the Amazon outlet you’re installing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts