BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one year old K1600 GT SE with 3000 miles has been in the BMW dealer since December when I refused to ride it anymore (following recall) and gave it back to BMW. They gave me a temporary Demo GS as a swap. After no news at the end of Jan 20 (still waiting for parts) BMW agreed a full fix or full refund of purchase price before end of Feb. Unsurprisingly the parts arrived first week of Feb :) and its now in work shop .... but I am now being told the drive shaft needs replacing after 3000 miles ....... I have asked if this is part of the recall but they are not sure. I am also waiting to know what part of the DS has gone. Now im waiting for a new drive shaft.... Anybody have any experience of a BMW drive shaft failure with such low mileage? Hats of to the dealer they have been brilliant in looking after me but I guess that is why BMW are expensive. Just very concerned that I need a new drive shaft.

·
Registered
363 Posts
AS far as I know, drive shaft issues are rare with such a low miles. At times, you will have a bike leaving a factory with a defect in install. It can occur. Keep us posted. Happy riding......!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Spoke to dealer in Michigan. They just got the tools last week. No parts yet.
I got an email from my dealer, parts are coming in by the end of February. Calls to customers will start in March. Now, because I am a nice guy, I am pretty much up on the list to be called first :). Happy riding.....!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Drive shaft under warranty but its worrying that a problem has also occurred. Transmission parts arrived and tools to do the job but bike still on the bench . BMW told me they had the tools and some parts but not all of them ...... funny how all the remaining parts arrived just after I gave them an ultimatum - fix or refund they have 10 working days left to get it back on the road. Trouble is I do not see any other bike out there coming close to the K1600 !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts are made in China ........ could be a long wait for some this is gonna give BMW a massive headache

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hi Drive shaft under warranty but its worrying that a problem has also occurred. Transmission parts arrived and tools to do the job but bike still on the bench . BMW told me they had the tools and some parts but not all of them ...... funny how all the remaining parts arrived just after I gave them an ultimatum - fix or refund they have 10 working days left to get it back on the road. Trouble is I do not see any other bike out there coming close to the K1600 !
Sounds like everyone is doing everything they can to make you happy. Just because you've given them a deadline demanding a refund doesn't mean they will actually buy back your bike.

Soon, your bike will be fixed and back in your hands. The reason vehicles come with warranties is to fix stuff that may happen. The company with the lowest number of warranty claims is Yamaha. Problem is, as you mentioned, not the bike for me.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s right I know what a warranty is - when they tell you it’s unsafe too ride, stop selling the bike worldwide and can’t tell you when it’s going to be fixed - that’s not a warranty that’s a bloody disaster . Oh and they have agreed a full refund of the original purchase price or a fixed bike in writing - so I suggest everyone demand the same thing and they BMW might just start to apologise for screwing up on manufacturing of cheap components for a top bike . We have laws in the UK that let you get your money back in full if a recall is not fixed within 4 months 👍 .

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have laws in the UK that let you get your money back in full if a recall is not fixed within 4 months 👍
I wasn't aware of that - can you point me to the legislation, please?

What I would say, is that with many UK dealers having up to 35 bikes on their list awaiting the rectification work, and it only just getting underway now, it's a physical impossibility that they'll get them all done by 28th Feb, which is 4 months from the date of the recall notice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
section 75 Consumer Credit Act - as long as you paid at least £100 on a credit card ( I put £1000 deposit on my purchase) you are covered for a full refund upto £30 000 by the dealer or the credit card company . But You have 4 months to raise a claim with the credit card company since being given notification of the recall. Hence the reason I had to give them an ultimatum and even better they accepted it . I mean who buys a £23k bike to see it sitting in a garage for 4 + months ?
Section 75 Refunds

Funny thing is someone said to me oh I ride my bike its OK - lets hope he doesn't have an accident and hurt another road user or pedestrian because he was riding a bike knowing that there is a chance that there could be a serious accident - Insurance will NOT pay out ( I checked with my insurance company ) not to mention if you are riding a dangerous bike your insurance is invalid and PC plod will have you in court before you can say bobs your uncle ! Just cant believe everyone is ***** footing around BMW.... Multi million pound company that is taking the piss out of its customers .

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ahh... OK, I was aware of CCA S.75 protections but where does the 4 month time limit come in (I'm not denying it, I just want to know what the relevant legislation is)?

I completely agree with respect to the liability issues. What many don't realise is that in the UK the driver can be prosecuted for Dangerous Driving (which is a serious offence that can attract jail time) if they drive a vehicle in a dangerous condition and cause death or injury. It would be an "interesting" interpretation of a recall letter that states:
In the event of such a failure two gears may be engaged simultaneously. Subsequently a critical riding situation may not be ruled out.
to say that this did not indicate to the driver that the vehicle in question was in a dangerous condition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The differenetial on my 2012 GTL growls (only) when I am decelerating down long grades.
16K miles on it, (I bought it used) way out of warranty on a wonderful bike I wished I'd purchased new.
Just ride it and enjoy it and hope for the best over the long haul

·
Registered
18 Posts
The differenetial on my 2012 GTL growls (only) when I am decelerating down long grades.
16K miles on it, (I bought it used) way out of warranty on a wonderful bike I wished I'd purchased new.
Just ride it and enjoy it and hope for the best over the long haul
That's a fancy symbol you have there RBGary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh... OK, I was aware of CCA S.75 protections but where does the 4 month time limit come in (I'm not denying it, I just want to know what the relevant legislation is)?

I completely agree with respect to the liability issues. What many don't realise is that in the UK the driver can be prosecuted for Dangerous Driving (which is a serious offence that can attract jail time) if they drive a vehicle in a dangerous condition and cause death or injury. It would be an "interesting" interpretation of a recall letter that states:
to say that this did not indicate to the driver that the vehicle in question was in a dangerous condition.
well I’m definately not a lawyer but I recall reading you are covered upto 6 years under s75 however if you have known about the faulty product for more than 4 months and not raised the issue /claimed then you are in a very sticky wicket and unlikely to win . Point is put the claim in if you can you have nothing to loose and I would have relished taking BMWto court for a full refund we sold you a motorbike but it’s dangerous and you can’t ride it ...
just waiting for the excuse .. because of Coronavirus the factory is closed and we can’t get the parts or tools . I wouldn’t like to be at the back of the queue for the repair . Having said that they are now waiting for a new drive shaft perhaps an excuse ?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No such law in the USA.

Sounds like a credit card purchase guarrantee or something like that in the UK? If so, would it not just cover what went on the card?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds like a credit card purchase guarrantee or something like that in the UK? If so, would it not just cover what went on the card?
In the UK, under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act the credit card company is legally jointly liable with the retailer for defective goods, if the purchase price is between £100 and £30,000. Even if only part of the purchase price is paid on the card, the card company is liable for the full cost of the goods. This is why smart people always pay the deposit payment on a vehicle on a credit card, regardless of how they fund the balance.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Presumably a driveshaft UJ failure, but seems unlikely at 3k - are you sure it's fact & not some delaying tactic or technicians error?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No such law in the USA.

Similar but you are covered for the whole cost of the item even though you only put a small amount on your card - bank debit cards are also covered not just credit card . Never buy anything for more than £100 ($130) by cash or bank transfer if you can use a card credit or debit .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts