BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago another member made a free down load of the service manual available to this membership. I did locate the post but the down load is no longer available. I'd like to install the "Instrument Repair Kit" and could use a little help with the front top side disassembly. Is there a free down load available as previously mentioned or is anyone in a position to make this available again. Thanks for any help on this matter.

· Registered
2,941 Posts

· Premium Member
1,871 Posts
There is no legal free download of the BMW service manual. The manual is copyrighted. It cost $110 to purchase it from BMW, it's only authorized seller. Downloading or uploading the manual for use without paying for it is a criminal act: theft and copyright violation punishable by fines, penalties and, potentially, imorisonment. It is also not fair to BMW. It would be a smart idea for anyone who has published the manual or a link to it anywhere, including on this forum, to delete the post.
As an aside, I have heard that the links in pirated version of the manual often do not work.

· International Man of Mystery
4,277 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
14000 km
Thanks for the reminder, helped another member in trouble during a trip and didn't put an expiration date on the link. Done that now and thanks for the refresher in copyright law

· Premium Member
2,401 Posts
There is no legal free download of the BMW service manual. The manual is copyrighted. It cost $110 to purchase it from BMW, it's only authorized seller. Downloading or uploading the manual for use without paying for it is a criminal act: theft and copyright violation punishable by fines, penalties and, potentially, imorisonment. It is also not fair to BMW. It would be a smart idea for anyone who has published the manual or a link to it anywhere, including on this forum, to delete the post.
As an aside, I have heard that the links in pirated version of the manual often do not work.
I'm not advocating pirating or illegal use of the BMW service manual.....

But it sort of made me think of other things we may do that are indeed illegal.
We're probably all guilty of some of these:
(sorry if this is to much of a drift off-topic)

1. Speeding
  2. Running a stop sign (anything other than a complete stop)
  3. Littering, including dropping cigarette butts out the window or that small candy wrapper
  4. Driving any vehicle with excessively loud pipes
  5. Not cleaning up your dogs poop in a public place
  6. Taking a quick "wiz" in the weeds (public area)
  7. Texting and driving
  8. DWI
  9. Jaywalking
  10. Eating a grape or piece of candy from the grocery store while shopping
  11. Copying some of your friends MP3 songs or videos
  12. "stealing" WiFi service from a neighbor or loitering at a Starbucks without actually being a customer
  13. Underage drinking
  14. Using a fake name online
  15. Not declaring your eBay selling profits
  16. Claiming more gifts to charity than actually given
  17. Using an HSA for non-qualified medical expenses

· Premium Member
420 Posts
I will delete the copy that I got, thanks for the copyright reminder. I do own the legal BMW manual but it is sitting in my desk about 6500 miles away, didn't think I would need it. Doh!!

· Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I'm not advocating pirating or illegal use of the BMW service manual.....

But it sort of made me think of other things we may do that are indeed illegal.
We're probably all guilty of some of these:
(sorry if this is to much of a drift off-topic)

1. Speeding
  2. Running a stop sign (anything other than a complete stop)
  3. Littering, including dropping cigarette butts out the window or that small candy wrapper
  4. Driving any vehicle with excessively loud pipes
  5. Not cleaning up your dogs poop in a public place
  6. Taking a quick "wiz" in the weeds (public area)
  7. Texting and driving
  8. DWI
  9. Jaywalking
  10. Eating a grape or piece of candy from the grocery store while shopping
  11. Copying some of your friends MP3 songs or videos
  12. "stealing" WiFi service from a neighbor or loitering at a Starbucks without actually being a customer
  13. Underage drinking
  14. Using a fake name online
  15. Not declaring your eBay selling profits
  16. Claiming more gifts to charity than actually given
  17. Using an HSA for non-qualified medical expenses
Brian,
It seems that you didn't watch enough Sesame Street when you were growing up. DWI is not the same as taking a wiz in the weeds or coming to a rolling, but not full, stop at a stop sign or throwing a cigarette but out the window of your car or eating a grape at a grocery store. No one dies when you take the grape or the wiz. And, texting while driving is not quite the same as loitering at Starbucks without being a customer. No one dies when you don't buy a coffeea at Starbucks.
Likewise, albeit no one dies, copying an mp3 song from a friend for your own use is not the same as copying and publishing online on a public forum an entire $110 shop manual so that the entirety of the K1600 owning world can use it without paying for it.
See the difference? If not, I'd like to know where you shop that charges $110 for a single grape; and I guess you wouldn't mind if I hacked into your employer's payroll system and diverted your paychecks to my bank account.

· Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Brian,
It seems that you didn't watch enough Sesame Street when you were growing up. DWI is not the same as taking a wiz in the weeds or coming to a rolling, but not full, stop at a stop sign or throwing a cigarette but out the window of your car or eating a grape at a grocery store. No one dies when you take the grape or the wiz. And, texting while driving is not quite the same as loitering at Starbucks without being a customer. No one dies when you don't buy a coffeea at Starbucks.
Likewise, albeit no one dies, copying an mp3 song from a friend for your own use is not the same as copying and publishing online on a public forum an entire $110 shop manual so that the entirety of the K1600 owning world can use it without paying for it.
See the difference? If not, I'd like to know where you shop that charges $110 for a single grape; and I guess you wouldn't mind if I hacked into your employer's payroll system and diverted your paychecks to my bank account.
Just where did I say they were the same?

They are all illegal aren't they? Varying degrees, but still illegal nonetheless.
That's all I stated and the fact that most people commit illegal activities many times without even realizing it.

I posted it as a fun realization that no one is perfect and we all commit illegal activities without even realizing it.
but, thanks for the sarcasm and smart @$$ reply...... :rolleyes:

btw as long as you bring it up....

Brian,
...copying an mp3 song from a friend for your own use is not the same as copying and publishing online on a public forum an entire $110 shop manual so that the entirety of the K1600 owning world can use it without paying for it.
Just wanted to tackle this one......so you honestly think copying MP3s is less of a crime and has much less impact than using a pirated K1600 service manual?
You realize how widespread and the financial impact of millions of people copying MP3s without paying for them costs the music industry?
Seriously, the K1600 service manual pirating pales miserably by comparison.

I'm proud to say I have over 7000 MP3s in my collection and not a single one is copied or pirated.
....and yes, if your wondering, I do have a legit BMW service manual. :)

· Premium Member
1,871 Posts
You started your post with the statement that your list was of acts that "we may do;" the "we," I assumed, being the members of this forum. If your intent was not to list what you considered, quite mistakenly, to be minor, quality of life type infractions of similar degree of illegality that you believe do very little to harm anyone, what was it? You were just listing random illegal acts as they came to mind? I didn't see murder, armed robbery or rape on your list.
Brian, say what you will now, but the whole purpose of your post was clearly to equate as being only minimally illegal the acts on your list with each other and with copyright infringement by posting an entire $110 shop manual on a public forum, and to suggest that "we" are all likely guilty of committing such minimally illegal, rather harmless acts. If not, you have a very low opinion of the character of this forum's members, of which I am one. I don't drive drunk or text while driving or illegally publish or pirate copyrighted works, among other acts on your list that I don't do and don't believe that such conduct as you have included on your list is prevalent among the members of this forum. (ok, I'll cop to jaywalking and taking a wiz in the weeds when no better options present themselves. I'll even cop to maybe coming only to a rolling stop at stop signs on occasion when it's safe to do so; but drunk driving, texting while driving, copyright infringement, which is nothing short of theft of others' efforts, ideas, labor and property. Frankly, Brian, I was put off by your suggestion-accusation may be too harsh a word, but a more accurate one than suggestion- that I, and other forum members act as poorly you seem to think "we" do.

· Premium Member
2,401 Posts
You started your post with the statement that your list was of acts that "we may do;" the "we," I assumed, being the members of this forum. If your intent was not to list what you considered, quite mistakenly, to be minor, quality of life type infractions of similar degree of illegality that you believe do very little to harm anyone, what was it? You were just listing random illegal acts as they came to mind? I didn't see murder, armed robbery or rape on your list.
Brian, say what you will now, but the whole purpose of your post was clearly to equate as being only minimally illegal the acts on your list with each other and with copyright infringement by posting an entire $110 shop manual on a public forum, and to suggest that "we" are all likely guilty of committing such minimally illegal, rather harmless acts. If not, you have a very low opinion of the character of this forum's members, of which I am one. I don't drive drunk or text while driving or illegally publish or pirate copyrighted works, among other acts on your list that I don't do and don't believe that such conduct as you have included on your list is prevalent among the members of this forum. (ok, I'll cop to jaywalking and taking a wiz in the weeds when no better options present themselves. I'll even cop to maybe coming only to a rolling stop at stop signs on occasion when it's safe to do so; but drunk driving, texting while driving, copyright infringement, which is nothing short of theft of others' efforts, ideas, labor and property. Frankly, Brian, I was put off by your suggestion-accusation may be too harsh a word, but a more accurate one than suggestion- that I, and other forum members act as poorly you seem to think "we" do.
Holy Moly......take a deep breath and relax a bit.
You can read anything into anyones post you want....it was all in fun and meant to show others how many things we may do without thinking that it may be illegal.
Service manual down load included...

You want to make more out of it than that go ahead, I can't stop you......but I'm not going to argue about it........or continue to defend myself or my post against something your imagining.
Have a good Sunday....

· Registered
2018 K1600 GT, most of the options. Lupini Blue/Black Storm metallic.
266 Posts
Wow! All I can say is thanks for the free download. Had enough BMW's in my life to warrant a freebie. Lighten up, guys. Its all about the help on the forum. Thanks to all. Must confess, I got a few pirated mp3 copies too.

· International Man of Mystery
4,277 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
14000 km
Holy Moly......take a deep breath and relax a bit.
You can read anything into anyones post you want....it was all in fun and meant to show others how many things we may do without thinking that it may be illegal.
Service manual down load included...

You want to make more out of it than that go ahead, I can't stop you......but I'm not going to argue about it........or continue to defend myself or my post against something your imagining.
Have a good Sunday....
He is a lawyer, he displays his natural behavior. Cut him some slack will ya?:smile:

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Pure Cool-Aid and :poop:.

Every BMW shop mechanic needs a manual and supplying it digitally is a fixed cost for the manufacturer. Those manuals cost BMW absolutely NOTHING additional after the first one is digitized. If it were a simple copyright protection of a consumer product there are many solutions available to BMW to protect it. :unsure:

Recouping service manual fixed cost from customers is a tradeoff with lost dealer service profits; not renumeration for a product. Nothing more nothing less. :whistle:

Tom

· Registered
2013 GTL
2,394 Posts
I have the $100 DVD that's sold by MAX BMW and other stores, and one that sells on eBay - the one from eBay is definitely the dealership service center version - not sure if that's what's being debated.

The service shop version has multiple models, but I haven't seen any additional detail for my model in it compared the the $100 one from MAX BMW.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Yep, the "public shop manual" and "dealers mechanic shop manual" are one and the same. The BMW Motorrad RSD DVD even states: "All the commercial service data and the technical service data are combined on the Repair and Service Data BMW Motorrad (RSD) DVD".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts