BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Grand America. Recently I test rode a new Gold Wing at Daytona bike week. I was very impressed so for fun I started following some Gold Wing sites. There were some people on those sites that traded their K1600s for the new Gold Wing. So I’m wondering if anyone here has had the new Gold Wing and traded it for a BMW. Just wanna hear the other side of the story. And no, I’m not trading my GA (unless I can’t find a better windshield :).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I rode a couple of the new Gold Wings. The auto transmission is pretty cool but I couldn't wait to get back on my K1600GT. The Goldwing just didn't feel nearly as nimble as the BMW and it was slower.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode a couple of the new Gold Wings. The auto transmission is pretty cool but I couldn't wait to get back on my K1600GT. The Goldwing just didn't feel nearly as nimble as the BMW and it was slower.
The Gold Wing was more nimble than expected but my Grand America definitely beats the GW there. I thought the GW was more stable on the highway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 16 GTL-E and it is rock steady at any speed I have taken it, highway or otherwise. I'm sorry your's is not.
Rick
I get tossed around a little more than usual. I’m fine with it, just not as stable as some other bikes I’ve ridden. I can try some things to alleviate it. Others with GA have noticed it compared to other K1600 models.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I get tossed around a little more than usual. I’m fine with it, just not as stable as some other bikes I’ve ridden. I can try some things to alleviate it. Others with GA have noticed it compared to other K1600 models.
Bummer, I have read that. All I know is the last GW I owned sucked all the happiness out of riding, that's just me though, YMMV
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I had watched that comparison video previously, but you’re right, it was worth a watch from the 18:00 mark forward. And I think overall the conclusions are accurate. If you want a refined graceful smooth tourer with a focus on passenger comfort, then the GW is your best bet. If you want a luxury sport-tourer, with the focus on performance, one version or another of the K is the one. I am glad we live in a time when there are alternatives to rolling recliner or rolling vibratory thunder. Both styles are great for some. I’m open to future alternatives and hope manufacturers continue to vie for market share by innovation and inspiration.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
I sat on a new wing at the Dallas IMS and I felt like a monkey $*@“&’n a football. It felt small, compact with a load of buttons to memorize..

After sitting on it, I wouldnt waste the time riding one. It would have to blow me away to beat me out of my 6 year old GTL and we already know it cant compete performance wise to the K bike.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a 2019 Grand America. Recently I test rode a new Gold Wing at Daytona bike week. I was very impressed so for fun I started following some Gold Wing sites. There were some people on those sites that traded their K1600s for the new Gold Wing. So I’m wondering if anyone here has had the new Gold Wing and traded it for a BMW. Just wanna hear the other side of the story. And no, I’m not trading my GA (unless I can’t find a better windshield :).
Performance is no contest in acceleration, cornering etc. the wingdingers get very defensive when you compare performance with the k bikes. Also their luggage is smaller and I think still fixed to bike. Dumb imo

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ok here are my thoughts I looked at a Gold Wing with the Duel Clutch set up. I wrote all the good points of the Gold Wing and then the bad ones. I did the same with my Roadmaster I had.
Goldwing was nice to ride not fun but very refined. Great stereo system with Sat Nav and Apple car play, could not take the luggage bags off the seat felt too wide and hard for me.

Roadmaster great stereo and sat-nav, plus very comfortable much better than both the K1600 and Goldwings. Too heavy at 433 kg for a little guy like me at 74 kg without a reverse option. No center stand and top case way to heavy for a little fart like me to take off. Last of all like a lot of big twins the heat issue from the rear cylinder even with rear cylinder deactivation is not what you want in the heat of our summers. We cant do the cat delete legally, plus our EPA laws are so tuff on that and noise levels.

K1600 and in my case the GTL as I have already owned one before. Fantastic sports like touring, not as comfy as and the Roadmaster by a long stretch plus you need to add a sat nav and the stereo is way outdated. Overall performance and handling are far superior, easy to take all the luggage bags off including the top case and put a smile on my face every time I ride it. I am not brand loyal but love both the Indian and BMW but they both tick the boxes I need and want overall.

There is always going to compromise with both good and bad and you really need to look at the bike, ride it and say you can live with that bake because of .......... It's your money and none are cheap in this price bracket. My suggestion to everyone is doing your research, ride each one if you can and do what your pocket allows you to do also what your heart tells you is best for you. :cool::rolleyes::unsure: :censored: Last of all don't ask your better half for permission to buy one as it is far better to ask for forgiveness than permission.:):);)(y):giggle:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok here are my thoughts I looked at a Gold Wing with the Duel Clutch set up. I wrote all the good points of the Gold Wing and then the bad ones. I did the same with my Roadmaster I had.
Goldwing was nice to ride not fun but very refined. Great stereo system with Sat Nav and Apple car play, could not take the luggage bags off the seat felt too wide and hard for me.

Roadmaster great stereo and sat-nav, plus very comfortable much better than both the K1600 and Goldwings. Too heavy at 433 kg for a little guy like me at 74 kg without a reverse option. No center stand and top case way to heavy for a little fart like me to take off. Last of all like a lot of big twins the heat issue from the rear cylinder even with rear cylinder deactivation is not what you want in the heat of our summers. We cant do the cat delete legally, plus our EPA laws are so tuff on that and noise levels.

K1600 and in my case the GTL as I have already owned one before. Fantastic sports like touring, not as comfy as and the Roadmaster by a long stretch plus you need to add a sat nav and the stereo is way outdated. Overall performance and handling are far superior, easy to take all the luggage bags off including the top case and put a smile on my face every time I ride it. I am not brand loyal but love both the Indian and BMW but they both tick the boxes I need and want overall.

There is always going to compromise with both good and bad and you really need to look at the bike, ride it and say you can live with that bake because of .......... It's your money and none are cheap in this price bracket. My suggestion to everyone is doing your research, ride each one if you can and do what your pocket allows you to do also what your heart tells you is best for you. :cool::rolleyes::unsure: :censored: Last of all don't ask your better half for permission to buy one as it is far better to ask for forgiveness than permission.:):);)(y):giggle:
Still have the Roadmaster? I had a Chieftain turned into a “Roadmaster”. Did that twice. Traded for a R1250RT. That killed my back so I did a quick turnaround to the GA.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Still have the Roadmaster? I had a Chieftain turned into a “Roadmaster”. Did that twice. Traded for an R1250RT. That killed my back so I did a quick turnaround to the GA.
Funny enough I had 2 Roadmasters and traded the last on one an R1250RT and loved the RT except ergonomics did not work, there was no way of knowing that till I took it on a 2-day ride for the pain between the shoulders and my neck so after 2 weeks I bought the GTL and love it. Having said that the Roadmaster was far more comfortable on longer trips than the BMW will ever be. I love the GA but once again, you can't take the top case off, plus speed limited.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is this stability thing in the US because you guys have coffee cups, beer fridges, mobile phones, laptops, lap dancers on your handlebars? 😁

.......my GTL’s have been rock steady at any speed - obviously I just ride with the handlebars having nothing extra bolted onto them

.......although I may install a barrel of anti-Covid spray on my bars 😉

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
This thread reminded me of an older video that's out there. It's not the new Wing, but it's still funny to watch if you haven't seen it before. Heck, I just watched it again, and still gave me a chuckle. Best part of the video starts at about 18:00 minutes in.
Man, wouldn't it be a hoot to take one of these beasts around Laguna Seca? Well, from the driver's seat, anyway. NO WAY I'd want to be riding pillion for it, I don't care who's at the controls!

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Man, wouldn't it be a hoot to take one of these beasts around Laguna Seca? Well, from the driver's seat, anyway. NO WAY I'd want to be riding pillion for it, I don't care who's at the controls!
Pffftt.. Dont give me that.. you'd ride bitch if Mahomes was at the controls!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Pffftt.. Dont give me that.. you'd ride bitch if Mahomes was at the controls!
I like the kid but no, no I wouldn't. Valentino Rossi? Um, still no! Adriana Lima? Maybe. Probably. Okay, yes (if I got to hold onto whatever part of her I deemed necessary).

·
Registered
45 Posts
The new goldwing is an awesome bike. If I was primarily a 2-up rider and not a real aggressive rider in the twisties,then I would have that bike. But...I’m not. The gtl is much better and more nimble in the twisties. I ride it without the top box most of the time solo, and if the ole lady wants to come,it’s pretty good. Not goldwing comfy for her...but pretty good. The k1600 engine is just fantastic. If I could have both,I would. The gtl fits MY needs the best,but I can’t hate on anyone with the goldwing. If it wasn’t for the goldwing there wouldn’t be a gtl,but If it wasn’t for the gtl,there wouldn’t be the NEW goldwing. A lot of great bikes out there I want to ride. I really wish triumph would have figured out the reliability on the trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
My son works for a Polaris owned company and gets a free Polaris group vehicle each year to ride and has chosen a Road Master at least once for a summer. His company also gets demo bikes for photo shoots and Honda has sent new Gold Wings the last several years so he has put quite a few miles on them along with a number of other bikes, during photo shoots. He has also borrowed our 16 GTLE for photo shoots and taken it on several multi day trips with his wife (and yes we get the Grand kids). Here's the interesting part, even when he has his choice of any number of bikes to ride which includes the current Concours 1400, he always wants to take the GTL simply because its the MOST Fun and isn't that why we Ride!! That pretty much sums it up for me. At least for our kind of riding, I made the right choice!!!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts