BMW K1600 Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why not have both... :) picked up the wing last week for the wife... she missed her queen seat (but will still do short 2 hour rides on the k)

not a new one 2008, but the same as what I had before. It’s basically a convertible and does well, but I feel like I ride it and drive the BMW.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is this stability thing in the US because you guys have coffee cups, beer fridges, mobile phones, laptops, lap dancers on your handlebars? 😁

.......my GTL’s have been rock steady at any speed - obviously I just ride with the handlebars having nothing extra bolted onto them

.......although I may install a barrel of anti-Covid spray on my bars 😉
My 2016 GTLE is rock solid at any speed but the top case does act like a sail occasionally with a strong cross wind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't own the lastest generation goldwing but it did spark my interest and I did test ride on, but decided on a gtl and bought one last week.. My reasons are as follows. There is an overall performance advantage with the GTL. I also have grown accustomed to removing the side cases and top case easily for working on the bike with my R1200RT and the GTL has the same feature. It's also lighter. Also, I like the fact that the gps can be removed, easier to update at the computer then having to bring a laptop to it, plus free life time map updates. Also, the goldwing is not a touch screen, to the gps, and you have to turn the dial, then push on it to enter each number and letter of a street address, where on the garmin, I can type in a location much faster. Though, and this is minor, I can't play music from my phone to the stereo on the gtl through blue tooth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't own the lastest generation goldwing but it did spark my interest and I did test ride on, but decided on a gtl and bought one last week.. My reasons are as follows. There is an overall performance advantage with the GTL. I also have grown accustomed to removing the side cases and top case easily for working on the bike with my R1200RT and the GTL has the same feature. It's also lighter. Also, I like the fact that the gps can be removed, easier to update at the computer then having to bring a laptop to it, plus free life time map updates. Also, the goldwing is not a touch screen, to the gps, and you have to turn the dial, then push on it to enter each number and letter of a street address, where on the garmin, I can type in a location much faster. Though, and this is minor, I can't play music from my phone to the stereo on the gtl through blue tooth.

Congratulation droptine,
(I like K1600 GTL concept, It is more suitable to my stile of riding than GW). They are very very different bikes.
To me K1600 biggest advantageous compared to GW are:
  • Dynamics/kinematics capability (engine power, leaning angle, nimble,,)
  • K 1600 fuel tank is about 26 litre compared to GW 2018= 21 litre.
  • Panniers/top box capacity and options/flexibility (you can put a helmet in every pannier and two in the top box).
(GW can't carry 2 large helmets in the top box).

On the other side GW has also good points.
Reliability and the maintenance cost is one of Honda's strong point, stopping me from purchasing a GTL with all above mentioned goodies.
(It is like decision between a reliable or a beautiful woman :D).

Good luck

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is this stability thing in the US because you guys have coffee cups, beer fridges, mobile phones, laptops, lap dancers on your handlebars? 😁

.......my GTL’s have been rock steady at any speed - obviously I just ride with the handlebars having nothing extra bolted onto them

.......although I may install a barrel of anti-Covid spray on my bars 😉

Yeah, it's an American thing. We got plenty of Scottish lads, a few descendants of Vikings too, so it isn't that, it's the world we live in in the USA. Americans travel a lot of miles every year. Driving, is just a chore to them. Everything is far away, especially in the rurals. Imagine riding the circumferences of Scotland every day, just to get to and fro work. The roads are wide, all desigend in the last century, not 1000 years ago. To get to the Dragon's Tail or some other equivalent Scottish Highlands road, the average American travels for days, on highways designed for our blind grandmothers. Thus, driving is relaxed in the US, the people are kind and generous, noone, well except a foreigner or two, associates their honor with being able to drive 100 miles an hour on one wheel. So you want a vibration free, stable, because of its tonnage, two wheeled Cadillac that is quiet so you can glide over the interstate in silence listening to Chopin at 80mph/130kph for hours on end without hitting the brake or throttle or any of the other spastic hyper stuff Europeans have to do, so that you may arrive relaxed and cool at your destination. Americans all travel pretty much the same speed and flow over the interstates like a river. Americans been around motorized things their entire life, it's not the special thing that it is to the rest of the world.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congratulation droptine,
(I like K1600 GTL concept, It is more suitable to my stile of riding than GW). They are very very different bikes.
To me K1600 biggest advantageous compared to GW are:
  • Dynamics/kinematics capability (engine power, leaning angle, nimble,,)
  • K 1600 fuel tank is about 26 litre compared to GW 2018= 21 litre.
  • Panniers/top box capacity and options/flexibility (you can put a helmet in every pannier and two in the top box).
(GW can't carry 2 large helmets in the top box).

On the other side GW has also good points.
Reliability and the maintenance cost is one of Honda's strong point, stopping me from purchasing a GTL with all above mentioned goodies.
(It is like decision between a reliable or a beautiful woman :D).

Good luck
I did forget luggage capacity until you pointed it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not have both... :) picked up the wing last week for the wife... she missed her queen seat (but will still do short 2 hour rides on the k)

not a new one 2008, but the same as what I had before. It’s basically a convertible and does well, but I feel like I ride it and drive the BMW.
View attachment 141818
I've got to ask where did you buy the 2008 GW? I think it's the bike I traded in for my K16GA last quarter. If so, I'm glad it's being ridden. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chris - Garcia moto. Did you buy it initially from Texas?
YES. I bought it on-line and had it shipped here summer of 2018. I drove it for ~18 months and decided to go back to a BMW. Garcia was generous with the 2019 BGA so I made the deal in Feb (was planning on waiting until the Fall, but decided to switch now). I'm very happy with the new ride. I'm also happy the GW found a new home. Enjoy.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts