BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a 2020 GT and would also like to have the floorboards from the bagger.

I don't see any reason why the floorboards from the bagger won't fit the GT given they mount to the engine. What I'm not sure about is if they are still usable given the bodywork of the GT/GTL has an extra storage compartment which may push the leg out further.

Looking forward to your opinion.

·
KBiK
1,720 Posts
I think you are trying to mix Champagne with Guinness!

The GT riding position is the most forward and, dare I say, aggressive rider position in the K1600 line. As I understand, the B/GA has the most laid back, "cruiser" rider position.

I would recommend you ride a GT and then a B/GA. Decide which position fits you best and stick with it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The GT riding position is the most forward and, dare I say, aggressive rider position in the K1600 line. As I understand, the B/GA has the most laid back, "cruiser" rider position.

I would recommend you ride a GT and then a B/GA. Decide which position fits you best and stick with it.
Good idea except the dealer doesn't have any in stock. I'm coming from a R1250GS (we won't get into why). Anyway I broke my leg badly years ago and find I need to stand up occasionally or on the GS I can rest my leg on the engine. So that is why I was after the floor boards. I thought another option such as the crash bars and then iLium Works pegs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think the B floorboards would be too far forward to stand up comfortably.
I think those wide pegs would be the best option. I stood up on my first harley to check traffic ahead and the foot peg broke. Didn't go down except for slamming my jewels on the tank but the thought is always in my head, whenever I choose to stand up.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,556 Posts
You will lose the storage compartments and very likely the arrangement of GT bars and seat will force you in a strange position with your feet on the floorboards. Personally I have not seen a GT with floorboards installed.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the B floorboards would be too far forward to stand up comfortably.
I think those wide pegs would be the best option. I stood up on my first harley to check traffic ahead and the foot peg broke. Didn't go down except for slamming my jewels on the tank but the thought is always in my head, whenever I choose to stand up.
Good feedback. That's exactly why I asked here.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will lose the storage compartments and very likely the arrangement of GT bars and seat will force you in a strange position with your feet on the floorboards. Personally I have not seen a GT with floorboards installed.
Good feedback. That's exactly why I asked here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Correct on the storage issues on the GT which I think is built into the side panel it would take a side panel change or major modifications and like others have said positioning would be different I would think but not sitting on it I wouldn’t know

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I think you'd have to be extremely bow legged to reach a floor board setup on a GT. The side storage would definitely get in your way.

·
KBiK
1,720 Posts
Good idea except the dealer doesn't have any in stock. I'm coming from a R1250GS (we won't get into why). Anyway I broke my leg badly years ago and find I need to stand up occasionally or on the GS I can rest my leg on the engine. So that is why I was after the floor boards. I thought another option such as the crash bars and then iLium Works pegs.
I stand up on my GT pegs to relieve my sitting position. Stand up on bad gravel roads to lower the center of gravity. I also stand on the peg to mount the GT when I have my gear loaded on the rear seat.

The main problem with standing with a GT, is not the pegs but the low handle bar position. You might try a GTL as the handle bar position is more swept to the rear.

I don't think floor boards or Illium Pegs will help you stand, though they may allow you to extend your leg while sitting. I had highway wings on my ST1300 which I loved. I tried Illium Pegs mounted on my engine guard but found them too wide to be comfortable. I also worried that the peg on the engine guard would form a dangerous pivot point in a high speed slide.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a 2020 GT and would also like to have the floorboards from the bagger.

I don't see any reason why the floorboards from the bagger won't fit the GT given they mount to the engine. What I'm not sure about is if they are still usable given the bodywork of the GT/GTL has an extra storage compartment which may push the leg out further.

Looking forward to your opinion.
The bagger models that have floorboards also have pegs. I have a GT, stand on the pegs, and they better not break. I had a Harley Electra Glide that I mounted the foot board extensions to and extended forward controls. I could stand by force bracing against the floor board and pulling on the handle bar. The problem with BMW's bagger with floorboard is that it does not have forward foot controls. I think that is downright dumb, and I would not buy it just because of that. Somehow BMW can not let go of foot pegs under the seat. Sad.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I purchased my GT, I also wanted an alternate position to rest my legs. I purchased ilium engine bars with folding foot pegs. If I need to stand, I stand on the bikes foot pegs. If I need to stretch my legs, I use the ilium foot pegs. The nice thing about the ilium foot pegs is that their position is adjustable. It’s nice to have choices.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention is that one of our members, jryan19 is a machinist and he fabricated a 3/4” riser. They don’t pull back the handle bars, it just lifts the bar position up 3/4 of an inch. You still lean forward but the position is more comfortable to me over the stock location. Like I said, it’s nice to have choices.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I have a ‘18 GA and rarely use the floorboards, however they are attractive as such. Might sell them, lol...

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
I think you would be better off using the Ilium Work adjustable pegs and if you have the OME engine bars they work fine. Here are a few photos of mine with them fitted.

IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0035.jpeg

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Sorry I posted the above before seeing you have already ordered your G pegs. Hope it all works for you and be safe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts