BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I just bought a 2018 K1600b GA last week. So far I am enjoying it is a lots. I have ordered LED H7 bulbs to replace the original halogen bulbs. Thank you all for the great information on that in this forum.

I am looking to convert the Top Case Brake light to Running Light and Brake Light. By default it is a Brake light only. I am sure if converted to a Running Light and Brake light, it will make the bike more safe. Can someone please share the process to do that or direct me to a thread where this has been discussed and resolved.

Safe Riding to All.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the K1600GT/GTL the Skene IQ-160 converts the top case 'brake only' light to run/brake. Pretty good bet it will work with the GA. I'd give them a call/email.
Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights

Duane

I will call Skene tomorrow and see what solution they have. Thank you for the information on this. I will update the information here.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I added the brake light to the BMW top box I added to my GT. I wanted the flash at brake option. I utilized a GS-100A module. I didn't splice into bike's harness. I spliced into the top box light's leads. These things are a couple bucks on ebay. Give it a google if you want...it's worth a google. The light acts as normal, except when the brake is applied, it strobes before turning solid. I don't know how your GA top box light functions or how or if it's wired differently than the harness of my GT. I just plugged the box in to the connector under the seat and the central locking etc worked. The connection for the brake light was already wired and ready to go in the lid when I added the light a few months later. Best of luck to ya!

·
Premium Member
6,770 Posts
I reached out to Skene with an email. They responded the newer IQ260 will convert the GA top case to run/brake with the familiar Skene flicker.

Duane

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your interest in our products.

Yes our rear controllers without turn signal functionality can be used to convert the top case brake light on the Grand America to tail and brake.

There are lots of options for connecting our controllers to the stock lights on the GA and Bagger models. *A summary along with wiring diagrams is below. *The notes refer to our the 260 controllers that we are currently shipping but will work with the older 160 versions as well.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Bill

[email protected]

www.skenelights.com

Bagger, Grand America Installation info

To connect any IQ-260 rear controller to our pair of red LED modules and NOT to any of the stock lights.*

You should connect to switched power and ground at the top case wire connector. *Controller red to red/green and black to brown. *There is also a brown/violet brake wire in the top case connector on the K1600GA, that you can tap for the controller white wire. *

On Baggers*you will need to get a*brake signal from the blue/violet brake wire in one of the side case connectors*instead of the brown/violet brake wire in the topcase connector. You can also make the connections for the turn signal inputs at the case connectors; IQ-260-TS green to brown/blue on the left side and yellow to brown/yellow on the right side.

Wiring diagrams are below for reference.

======================================

To connect any IQ-260 rear controller to the stock lights.

That controller works perfectly to enhance the stock rear lighting on the Bagger. *The controller can be connected so that all four lights will function as tail lights with our flicker, brake lights with our flash sequence and the appropriate turn signal.*

If you intend to connect to the stock lights, you will need to connect the positive wire leading to each of the four lights: *left & right tail lights and brake/signal lights, to the output wires from the IQ-260-TS. *Since you will be removing the load from those lights from the bike’s wires you will need to install a load resistor between the bike side of each light’s wire and ground. *The load resistors will mimic the draw from the stock lights so that the BMW CAN-bus system does not show a lamp fault.

We sell appropriate load resistors in pairs through our online store, at the link below, so if you order two you will have what you need for the installation.

https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Load-Resistors-for-LED-Turn-Signals-pair-p80337378

All of the below work as expected and can be done independently or together.

1) Top case only

The top case light becomes a tail light with our flicker and brake light with our flashing sequence. **

1 IQ-260 (or IQ-260-D) controller

1 RES-1 Load resistor pairs (you will have 1 extra load resistor as only 1 is needed)

2) Top case & tail lights

Those three lights all become tail lights with our flicker and brake lights with our flashing sequence. **

2 RES-1 Load resistor pairs (you will have 1 extra load resistor as only 3 are needed)

3) Tail lights and turn signals

A single turn signal version of *our controller can be used for both the tail lights and turn signals.

1 IQ-260-TS (or IQ-260-D-TS) controller

2 RES-1 Load resistor pairs*

4) Top case, tail lights and turn signals

The top case light needs a non-Turn Signal controller but the tail lights and turn signals are both connected to a turn signal version.

1 IQ-260-TS (or IQ-260-D-TS) controller

3 RES-1 Load resistor pairs (you will have 1 extra load resistor as only 3 are needed)

K1600B & K1600GA Top Case Wiring Diagram

K1600B & K1600GA Side Case Wiring Diagram

1 - 12 of 12 Posts