BMW K1600 Forum banner

K1600B Grand America aftermarket top case rack ... suggestions

7K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  _GT 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2019 Grand America and I am considering a rack for the top case. I prefer the look of the case without any 'additions', but when my wife and I go on trips, we usually have a bag strapped to the top case (all my other bikes had a top case rack). Any suggestions?

#3 ·
I had purchased the smoked gray plexiglass rack mentioned in other posts. It worked great on my 2018 Grand America but I cannot find the equivalent that fits the 2019 Grand America with the new speakers on the rear seat. I loved the "no drill mount" and wish I could find the equivalent for the 2019. Sorry...i'm looking for the same thing yet.

#5 ·

Attachments

#8 ·
Wunderlich is cheaper by ordering from France
Order - SDMOTO Parts
Others have reported no issues buying from overseas vendors but I am wary now because I got hit with duties and taxes on a purchase a couple of years ago. The money that I "saved" was erased once I paid the duties. I could have refused the shipment but due to my mailman leaving the package without getting my signature (and consent to accept), I went ahead and paid the fees to keep my mailman happy and out of trouble with his boss. It wasn't a lot of money but I will make sure of who pays what before I do it again - especially if it is a big ticket item. I noticed that some of the eBay sellers are clearly posting this warning about duties now.

#18 ·
Revisiting an old thread for any current feedback:
I have a 2022 GA and very much do not want to drill holes nor install a permanent luggage rack on my top case nor side bags, but curious to see if anyone has found a clever and safe way to tie on a soft bag without adding a rack? Looking to plan a lengthy trip (with pillion) and seeking options for extra luggage without drilling into the bike.

I've seen this older rack I guess can have modified brackets made somehow to allow, but not sure if I can buy the old rack and get brackets made - just searching for any known options that have worked for folks here - any input appreciated thanks.

#22 ·
Isotta is the only option for side cases. Just be careful with the bags as they will almost certainly touch the topcase. For this reason, I put a transparent film on the side cases and the sides of the top case. It's a good thing that I did, because otherwise the friction of the bag combined with rain, dust and several weeks of travel would have pretty much scratched the original paint.
That's why I still decided on drilling and a wunderlich grill for the top case.
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Of photo you can see Isotta side case rack + Givi 30l drybag.

And for top rack look at: Grand America top case rack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.